Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 01:55 PM

18 posts, read 88,935 times

Advertisements

Some people say in Eugene is a low crime rate other say there is a high crime rate.
What is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 03:58 PM

152 posts, read 878,202 times
Very high property crime (methheads), low violent crime (hippies).

Old 06-05-2007, 12:20 AM

18 posts, read 88,935 times
ok thank you, I think property crime is bad, but more badly is violent crime, I think you can protect you before property crime.

Old 06-17-2007, 11:23 PM

25 posts, read 208,871 times
Question Crime in Eugene?

My husband and I have been doing a lot of research on relocating to Oregon -- Eugene, to be specific (we currently live in Orange County, CA).

Today, after our 1,000th discussion about the pros and cons, we were set on Eugene and then I read some things on this forum that, frankly, have me feeling apprehensive (which is the whole point of researching and asking questions before jumping in with both feet, right? )

Anyway, our main concern is the property crime in Eugene (due to, as some have indicated here, the rampant meth problems, as well as crime statistics here on city-data and the FBI crime stat website).

Is this really a huge concern for Eugene (and outskirts of Eugene) residents?

We are interested in the Santa Clara area but are now wondering if it would be safe to live in or outside of Eugene if we have to worry about our car windows being smashed, etc.

Can anyone shed some light on this for us?

Old 06-18-2007, 06:59 AM

14 posts, read 133,570 times
Red face crime in Eugene

I don't think there is any more crime in Eugene than any other Oregon city of its size. I was born in Eugene and lived in the area for many years. It's a beautiful city with lots of things to do and a lot of culture. The schools are excellent.

At one time, the Santa Clara area wasn't as "nice" as the other parts of Eugene, but I believe that is starting to change. There are many new housing developments in the area as Eugene is really growing.

If you move to Eugene, I believe you'll be very happy there. Something to consider also is the city of Springfield - it's separated from Eugene only by the freeway the runs between them. Springfield used to be the "blue collar" cousin to Eugene's "white collar" crowd, but Springfield's job base has really diversified over the years - a long way from it's humble mill town roots. Lots of beautiful housing developments going up in Springfield, and property taxes are cheaper than Eugene. With either place - you won't go wrong!

Feel free to post any other questions and I'll try to answer them.

Last edited by kirstiemarie; 06-18-2007 at 07:04 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 08-13-2008, 04:48 PM

16 posts, read 92,690 times
They've passed some new law in Eugene. It bans criminals from the 20 block downtown area. I'm interested to see if it works well for Eugene. If it does work then other cities may try it out.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:23 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
Default Rise in crime?

Perhaps I'm paying more attention to the news as I grow older, so maybe it's always been like this and I'm only now beginning to notice it. But, does it seem to anyone else - who has also lived in Eugene for at least several years - that there seems to be more violent crime happening in our town?

I've always heard of bike thefts, vehicle and home break-ins, petty crime, bar brawls, etc.

But, recently, the news is full of violent crimes - children being abused, raped, sodomized. Women getting kidnapped. Foster parents being charged with crimes against children. Hate crimes and homeless people being set on fired or brutally beaten or murdered. And I'm not even including all the college athletes that seem to continuosly be in the news for beating up their girlfriends or shooting local wildlife for fun and so on...

What's the deal?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:49 PM

57 posts, read 168,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Perhaps I'm paying more attention to the news as I grow older, so maybe it's always been like this and I'm only now beginning to notice it. But, does it seem to anyone else - who has also lived in Eugene for at least several years - that there seems to be more violent crime happening in our town?
Actually, crime statistics show exactly the opposite (http://www.dailyemerald.com/news/director-attributes-low-crime-rates-to-meth-laws-1.1488619 - broken link):

Quote:
Oregon’s crime rates in 2009 were at a 50-year low, the FBI reported last week.

Measuring violent crime and property crime, which are the two main indexes used to track uniform crime rates across the nation, the FBI found Oregon bucked national trends by showing drops in crime in four of the state’s largest cities: Portland, Salem, Eugene and Gresham.

The numbers were particularly encouraging for Eugene, which saw a 5 percent drop in violent crimes and a shift from an increasing property crime rate in 2008 to a decreasing rate today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
recently, the news is full of violent crimes - children being abused, raped, sodomized. Women getting kidnapped. Foster parents being charged with crimes against children. Hate crimes and homeless people being set on fired or brutally beaten or murdered.
Getting rid of TV and tuning out other mainstream mass media does wonders for restoring a peace of mind and promoting a more accurate perception of reality. Mass media thrive on sensationalism and focus on the most gruesome and shocking crimes as a way to improve their ratings and bring in more advertising revenue. There is no incentive for them to accurately report on what is actually going on in the community. People will pay more attention to the news about a homeless man set on fire in downtown Eugene (even though he apparently did not sustain any injuries as a result) than on violent crime rate dropping 5%.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM

231 posts, read 778,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olduvai2020 View Post
Getting rid of TV and tuning out other mainstream mass media does wonders for restoring a peace of mind and promoting a more accurate perception of reality. Mass media thrive on sensationalism and focus on the most gruesome and shocking crimes as a way to improve their ratings and bring in more advertising revenue. There is no incentive for them to accurately report on what is actually going on in the community. People will pay more attention to the news about a homeless man set on fire in downtown Eugene (even though he apparently did not sustain any injuries as a result) than on violent crime rate dropping 5%.
100% agree!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:49 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times
That might be my problem. We went years without TV. Recently we got limited basic and I have been watching the news. Also, I've been following the Kyron Horman case which has me spending more time on local news websites.

OK. I can relax now. Time to get offline and stop watching the news so much! I'm sure when they find that sweet boy the whole world will hear about it.

Thanks guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area