Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 05:36 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

I just heard on the news that France is trying to get rid of gypsies by paying them money (around $400 per adult and $130 per child) to leave the country. Those gypsies entered France legally as they are EU citizens.

Today the first 90+ people will arrive back in Romania, where nobody wants them, either. Romanians hate gypsies and won't give them any jobs, condemning them to lives in ghettos outside society.

Observers say that in France there are raids against gypsies, also in Italy, reminding some people of the happenings during the Holocaust, when hundreds of thousands of gypsies were deported and killed.

The reason for France's actions are the president's efforts to try and win voters on the far right margin of the political spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 06:35 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Absolutely appalling but then again what one would expect from Sarkozy the racist right winger, himself the son of Hungarian immigrants married to an Italian...

The man is a political disgrace and is playing the racist card to curry favour with people who are blaming immigrants ( legal and illegal) for everything wrong under the sun in France and because of the international financial crisis.

He is basically the "acceptable" face of Le Pen. A little Napoleon who has delusions of grandeur ( and heights) , a pathetic man whose main asset is his no talent pretty wife and whose popularity is seriously on the wane.

Attacking the poorest and most vulnerable is always the first weapon in the arsenal, and some of the French gutter press seems to be playing his game inflaming a part of the French population and whipping them into a frenzy of mouth foaming bigotry.

I despise this man not only because of his grotesque ideology and self importance but also because like most politicians he too seems to be about as squeaky clean as a freshly made turd . His financial records like his predecessors are to say the least slightly shady.

Victimising immigrants is simply another way to divert political diversion from a subject he would prefer the French to remain ignorant of. His financial dealings and political short-comings.

Unfortunately the left in France was left decimated by too much infighting in recent years and internal ideological wars , it is regrouping slowly but how long because the racist midget does irrepairable damage ?

Italy is doing the same to Gypsies with havey handed tactics by the police but how could anyone be surprised when a sinister lecherous right-winger buffoon like Berlusconin in charge. He makes Sarkozy almost look like a maiden pure as driven snow...

It seems we learn nothing from our own History. The Gypsies seem to always be such a perfect fisrt victim of racism and bigotry because they are by nature "unwanted" wherever they go being a nomadic culture in many ways. It almost feels like a "victimless" crime to treat them like garbage for many politicians.

It makes me want to scream and throw sharp objects when I see what politicians do in our name and how they manipulate public opinion to their own ends.

It makes me ashamed to be French sometimes, and then I remember that other countries seem to have the same visceral attitude towards foreigners. It's a small worls after all. And no better time than a deep economic recession to cull the numbers of immigrants , all in the name of social cohesion and economic recovery of course.

I have just written a letter as an Amnesty International member about the treatment of Gypsies in Romania so no doubt it will be a wonderful welcome "home" for those "repatriated" if the accounts of international human rights organisations are to go by.

A pox on Sarkozy and his house. And Berlusconi .

Old 08-19-2010, 06:44 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times
This doesn't shock me. Alot of people don't like the Roma(aka Gypsies).

Old 08-19-2010, 06:47 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
It's not the first time I heard about this, it was already done years ago, by another government!
The only thing is that the gypsies came back a few months later...

Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 AM

It said in another report that the gypsies now deported were in France illegally as they have to have jobs within 3 months of entering France. But thanks to the anti-gypsie sentiments deliberately stirred in France (and not only there) nobody is willing to employ gypsies. In other words the French deliberately keep out immigrants of a certain ethnicity.
And if they were there illegally, why pay them any money to return home?
I wonder if France also deports Germans or Brits in the country who do not find jobs within 3 months. I never heard of any such case.

It is really one of the darkest sides of Europe. Gypsies have lived in Europe for many centuries, still Europeans by and large don't accept them.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
It's not the first time I heard about this, it was already done years ago, by another government!
The only thing is that the gypsies came back a few months later...
It said the French take fingerprints to prevent the deported gypsies from coming back and receiving the money several times.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:20 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,201,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
It said in another report that the gypsies now deported were in France illegally as they have to have jobs within 3 months of entering France. But thanks to the anti-gypsie sentiments deliberately stirred in France (and not only there) nobody is willing to employ gypsies. In other words the French deliberately keep out immigrants of a certain ethnicity.
And if they were there illegally, why pay them any money to return home?
I wonder if France also deports Germans or Brits in the country who do not find jobs within 3 months. I never heard of any such case.

It is really one of the darkest sides of Europe. Gypsies have lived in Europe for many centuries, still Europeans by and large don't accept them.
When segregation ended in the American Deep South, one or two of the state governments there tried to pay for one-way tickets for black people to northern states. I can remember that one family was featured in the newspapers, but nothing came of the scheme in the end.

The Israelis are clearing out the Palestinians, where are the bleeding hearts there? Been going on for decades.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
When segregation ended in the American Deep South, one or two of the state governments there tried to pay for one-way tickets for black people to northern states. I can remember that one family was featured in the newspapers, but nothing came of the scheme in the end.

The Israelis are clearing out the Palestinians, where are the bleeding hearts there? Been going on for decades.

I agree it's going on everywhere though I would expect better of France, compared to Israel anyway... Apart from the US does anyone around the world really condone Israel ? They seem pretty isolated to me politically and internationally... The vast majority of the world is on the side of politicians though the political will to get of our fat arses and do something about it has not always been there.

In France Le Pen's party the FN has always been very good at stirring the lowest of the low into a racist frenzy or at seizing political opportunity to stoop to the lowest common denominator but I would expect slightly higher standards from the mainstream right , if nothing else a more intelligent discourse on the subject of immigration than simply finger pointing.

When the mainstream start to turn into shades of the extreme right then I think we should start to be jolly well worried.

France used to suffer a lot from racism and it generally got better and better but I feel the clock is once again being turned back , economic recessions are always an excellent opportunity to seize for whatever nefarious purposes one has in mind politically speaking. Some of the more repressive national policies of many countries bring to mind Germany 1933 in all its flory of Nationalistic paranoia and heightened sense of bigotry.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:32 AM

Quote:
It said the French take fingerprints to prevent the deported gypsies from coming back and receiving the money several times.
Everyone in France has to carry an ID card and fingerprints are taken as part of it. In that respect the Roma are not being singled out.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:29 AM

2,930 posts, read 7,065,382 times
Quote:
Observers say that in France there are raids against gypsies
Yes, during one of those raids in Paris, I was able to recover my wallet after some Gypsy kids stole it from my purse. When the undercover police officers told them to give back my wallet, the poor kids were so scared that they threw on the floor all the wallets they had stolen that day. I must have seen like 20 wallets, if not more.

This is a huge problem that doesn't have an easy solution. It's very easy to judge the French from overseas but we don't have such problems here in the USA(as much as people complain about Mexicans, they don't know how easy we have it compared to gypsies and some radical muslims) Nobody wants these people in their country because of their criminal activities and they will be discriminated wherever they go.

These gypsy kids are being abused, exploited and the French government can't do anything because they are children. They can't help them either because then they will get an invasion of gypsy kids. It's a sad situation, some of the kids that robbed me were so young, one of them(I think the one that had my wallet) was sucking his thumb when they were caught. He was like 6 or 7 years old. Imagine when these kids grow up what kind of human beings they become, probably exploiters and thieves themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe