Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2007, 02:33 PM

6 posts, read 34,292 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to Oslo, but I have heard it is very expensive. What's puzzleing is the cost of living is high but as I understand the cost of housing is not. The little bit of research I have done looking for unfurnished apartments......they are "sick" expensive. I will be relocating on the north side of Oslo. Does anyone have some good info on the cost of a 2BR apt?
Thanks, Bad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 01:35 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Default Try Oslo's neighboring counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybadd View Post
I am considering moving to Oslo, but I have heard it is very expensive. What's puzzleing is the cost of living is high but as I understand the cost of housing is not. The little bit of research I have done looking for unfurnished apartments......they are "sick" expensive. I will be relocating on the north side of Oslo. Does anyone have some good info on the cost of a 2BR apt?
Thanks, Bad
Can't help you with specifics for north Oslo, but to my understanding, it's now the most expensive city in Europe. Taxes in Norway are high to support the social welfare system, which is among the best in the world.

Have you considered the outlying areas? It might be cheaper for you if you investigate the neighboring counties, Akershus, Vestfold, and so on. The city of Drammen (20-25 km south-west) would be less expensive. If you work in Oslo, the commuter trains run, like, every 10 minutes during rush hour. Also a little further north of Oslo, toward Hamar, might get your cost down. Again, I would only recommend this if you're willing to commute by train.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:04 PM

6 posts, read 34,292 times
Thanks for your input. I believe we will be working between Oslo and the airport, so I'll check out some of those area you sugested.

Old 07-06-2007, 07:11 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,079,529 times
Arrow Go north instead of south

Quote:
Thanks for your input. I believe we will be working between Oslo and the airport, so I'll check out some of those area you sugested.
If you're going to be closer to the airport than the city, I would definitely look north, towards Hamar. If you commute from the north towards the airport, you avoid commuting through Oslo. The airport is quite a distance north of the city. If you go south of Oslo (as so many people have in search of reasonable housing), you will have to transit through the city on your way to work. You'll be happier if you don't have to do that every day. The airport, by the way, is directly on the rail line, and the trains are good in that part of Norway. Good luck!

Old 08-06-2009, 11:51 AM

84 posts, read 320,722 times
If you wanna live in the city though you could find appartements that would be cheapest in the inner-east part of oslo. Its very diverse and some parts dangerous and run-down. Much cheaper parts are in the outer-east. Very diverse and cheaper. There most people live in "project" or "complex"-style appartments.

But if you're considering north Oslo you would probably be better off moving to Lillestrøm where prices are much lower and there is a 10 minute train ride to downtown Oslo. THat would probably be the best if you don't wanna live IN oslo...

BTW, Oslo might be the most expensive city on Europe/the whole world, but the eastern part is FAR from the safest!

Old 08-06-2009, 10:44 PM

261 posts, read 668,692 times
Quote:
Thanks, Bad
I dunno, Ill be heading their next year though so if its before I can find out for you. If not Ill see you there. Realize that Oslo gas price is some bull**** like $10 a gallon.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:06 AM

40 posts, read 116,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungeon View Post
I dunno, Ill be heading their next year though so if its before I can find out for you. If not Ill see you there. Realize that Oslo gas price is some bull**** like $10 a gallon.
More like $ 7,50. But yes, the gas prices are high compared to the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe