Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2010, 10:56 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,313,327 times

Advertisements

Planning a trip to Greece (Jan/2011) and wondering what you guys think of Greece and the Greek people. I am really excited about this trip and I think it will be lots of fun. Do a lot of Greeks speak English? Attitude towards Americans? Greek women, please tell me about them. I am single and I would love to meet some Greek girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 06:14 AM

9,376 posts, read 14,329,807 times
Many Greeks speak English, certainly better than most Italians. Greeks pretty much keep to themselves, but if you seek help humbly they can be, well, helpful. If you seek to appreciate and be part of their culture, they can be generous, even warm-hearted. On the other hand, they may remain sceptical.

Stop thinking of yourself as an American, and think of yourself as a human being first instead, and your chances with "the girls" will be that much better.

Having said that, Athens is pretty much a feces hole, apart from the Akropolis, and young Greek women for the most part, especially in urban areas, are like average European women. Good luck with that.

If you want fun, you should probably head to some of the Aegean islands, you'll probably have better luck with non-Greek women in the same boat, as it were, as you.

Personally in Greece I would pursue culture, not "fun", but to each his own.

Last edited by bale002; 10-19-2010 at 06:27 AM..

Old 10-19-2010, 06:39 PM

5,061 posts, read 7,509,180 times
Going to Greece mid winter is a strange choice, If you were planning to head to the islands keep in mind that most of the tourist resorts and clubs shut down over winter. You can still get to the islands (people live on them) but their wont be much if any action on them. I assume plan to stay on the mainland and go sking or Hiking? a trip to the larger islands (such as crete) still might be fun. It will also be a great time to get to know a lot about greek culture, with few tourists around.

Agreed with bale002, athens is the most disapointing place I have ever seen in lots of travel.

Their were too many georgeous scandanavian and american girls around for me to even worry about the locals when I was in greece.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 10-19-2010 at 07:29 PM..

Old 10-20-2010, 02:57 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
Love Greece. Totally.

Although one should not expect the average Greek citizen to speak English, most bus/train/subway/ferry/museum/airport signage is available in English, and English is also common in all kinds of commerce. Tourism is 20% of the Greek GDP. They depend on your money.

Rules are loose. Greeks hate government. They do what they want. Be prepared.

Greece closes after lunch (for a nap) and reopens around 6 PM then on goes till the small hours. Don't try to get anything done in the mid afternoon.

Old 10-20-2010, 03:32 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,576,349 times
I used to think Crete might be interesting to visit. It seems like I heard Greece is fairly anti-American, but presumably that's more opposed to the US government than anything.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:00 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,207,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Greek women, please tell me about them. I am single and I would love to meet some Greek girls.
Just don't look for them on Mykonos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Going to Greece mid winter is a strange choice
It sure is! I love Greece, but wouldn't go in the winter.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:39 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I used to think Crete might be interesting to visit. It seems like I heard Greece is fairly anti-American, but presumably that's more opposed to the US government than anything.

Nothing anti-American about the Greeks. Except perhaps for the odd malcontent.

And like I said, they don't like government. They're not particular about which government.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,045,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Crete was wonderful; we spent almost a week there.
The Greeks we encountered were friendly and interesting.

When my son visited Greece on a class trip in March 2003 (remember what was happening in Iraq then?) some Greeks said "$*&# Bush" but that was the only anti-American experience they had.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:06 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,321,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Planning a trip to Greece (Jan/2011) and wondering what you guys think of Greece and the Greek people. I am really excited about this trip and I think it will be lots of fun. Do a lot of Greeks speak English? Attitude towards Americans? Greek women, please tell me about them. I am single and I would love to meet some Greek girls.
I just spent a month in Greece and I was excited to share some of the tips I had.

However, seeing that you started the thread, and having read many of your posts in the P&C forum, I think I will decline to share with you any more than my feeling that the typical 'Greek girl' will see you as a 'Typical American' and won't be impressed.

Have a great trip.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:51 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,275,218 times
I'm headed to Athens on Thanksgiving for almost a week-friend's wedding. Any tips to make the trip more enjoyable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe