Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Budapest vs. Bucharest
Budapest, Hungary 58 76.32%
Bucharest, Romania 18 23.68%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2011, 06:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
My trip was Vienna, Budapest, Northern Romania (Maramures & Transylvania), spas in southern Hungary, Serbia and now Croatia. I leave tomorrow for Ljubjana and home Saturday evening.

A great 3 week drive.
I hate you !! I am so jealous, you seem to be constantly gallavanting around the world...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I hate you !! I am so jealous, you seem to be constantly gallavanting around the world...
Only when I can. And I may have another 2 years here!
You have no room to talk when it comes to others traveling. I believe you do a bit yourself.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:29 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
I've heard that Romania as a country is more beautiful and has more to offer than Hungary but if it's only between the two cities Budapest wins hands down.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:30 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
I suppose I have never partied ( nor wanted to) like a rock-star so did not really miss that much in Budapest ! Though I am sure it has its party spots...

You are right of course the language is incredibly difficult to get to grips with and though I feel I am reasonably gifted at languages it took me a lot of effort to even manage a few sentences.

But I did find Hungarian people very friendly ( especially after my hilarious efforts at Hungarian !) and helpful ( I am disabled and it was one of the places which was the most polite when it came to giving up their seats on public tranport etc...).

Hungarian people are quite reserved but I found once they started to open up they were actually very gregarious . I found my German and French to be invaluable especially with older people and ended up speaking a mixture of pidgin Germano/Franco/Magyar to them which they thought was amusing and I fear endearing !

I have spent many an afternoon in "Gerbeaud's" and "Angelika's" coffee houses , as they such a lovely places to waste a few hours and most times ended up striking a conversation with someone there. Same with quite a few restaurants in town.

I have been to Budapest so many times and I was amazed last time how Westernised it had become in a relatively short period of time. Buidling sites everywhere, almost everyone under the age of 50 had a mobile or a blakcberry it seemed and consumerism was rampant which to me was slightly disappointing . I fear like many places in the world it is losing a lot of its uniqueness and character but to me it still rocks as a city.
Thinking about it, one of the things I really loved about Hungary was all the many, many, many independent cinemas everywhere.

There is also an expat community, who published things in English. One of them, I counted the various DIFFERENT films that were in English (usually with Hungarian subtitles), and there were 97 DIFFERENT english movies being played throughout the city alone.

(In contrast to either Korea or Japan, where it'll be less than ten throughout the entire country, and most always will only be the big hollywood blockbusters).

Old 06-16-2011, 03:05 PM

Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,144 posts, read 1,297,318 times
Quote:
I adore Budapest, fantastic architecture, great cultural life, restaurants, etc... One of the places I could happily live in. Beautiful, beautiful city with fascinating history.

Bucharest iMO is sadly a dump due to the brutal destruction of many parts of the city by the Ceaucescus and their bizarre idea of grandiose brutalist architecture. It does retain some prettier areas but they are overshadowed by the horrors of the rest. Not a nice city at all IMO. So much of the beautiufl historic quarters were destroyed by the Ceaucescus.

I love Romania but mostly the smaller towns and more rural ares like Transylvania and the Carpathian Mountains which are one of Europe's true undiscovered gems.

Budapest is just brilliant though. Like Prague except less phony.
I have a really good friend whose father immigrated to the U.S. through Budapest. I was offered to go on vacation with them for a week. I took them up on the offer and really enjoyed Budapest too. The architecture, trying different food and overall culture was a good experience.

I have never made it to Romania. I have sort of avoided much of Western Europe because it's seen as the poorest, most unsafe, less cultured area of Europe. Did you feel safe while visiting Bucharest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I am in Eastern Europe on holiday at the moment.
I did not bother with Bucharest because the roads suck, drivers are insane and it is not very pretty. There is a Rembrandt in the museum, though. I loved backroad Romania.
Mooseketeer did you read my itinerary?
You are the second person who has mentioned the infrastructure issues in Bucharest.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 10 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,921,991 times
I have been to Bucharest three times.
I have family that live in Romania.

Bucharest is not nearly as bad as some people say.
I actually saw some impressive great charming areas of Bucharest and had an interesting trip there.

However, it was a big mistake that a lot of great areas of Bucharest were demolished a few decades ago. It used to be called to be called the "Paris of Eastern Europe." Despite that, there are still some charming areas of Bucharest left.
Also, Bucharest seemed safe to me, and the infrastructure not bad.

I have never been to Budapest, Hungary but my sister lived in Budapest Hungary for 6 months to study abroad for college there. She also showed me a lot of pictures of Budapest. Based on that, I would pick Budapest over Bucharest. But Bucharest is not bad at all.

Last edited by ; 06-16-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 06:33 AM

158 posts, read 382,752 times
As someone who has lived in Bucharest her entire life, I can tell you that Budapest is far more beautiful. Bucharest has some nice places, but all in all, Budapest is better.
As for the safety, it is not worse than any other major city in the world. There are some bad neighbourhoods, but no tourist should have to be interested in those.
I wouldn't really recommend Bucharest like a tourist destination, but it is worth a day or two if you are passing by (the main destionations being Maramures, Bucovina, Transilvania - those are must see places).

Sometimes I am really bothered by some people's prejudice when it comes to places they have never seen. But then again, maybe I have a bad opinion about some places, too, without ever being there.

My advice for those of you who have the means and the opportunity to visit Romania, is to go for it, there is nothing like a first hand experience. And Budapest definitely deserves a visit, but I have no idea how the rest of Hungary is.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:31 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkk2chane View Post
As someone who has lived in Bucharest her entire life, I can tell you that Budapest is far more beautiful. Bucharest has some nice places, but all in all, Budapest is better.
As for the safety, it is not worse than any other major city in the world. There are some bad neighbourhoods, but no tourist should have to be interested in those.
I wouldn't really recommend Bucharest like a tourist destination, but it is worth a day or two if you are passing by (the main destionations being Maramures, Bucovina, Transilvania - those are must see places).

Sometimes I am really bothered by some people's prejudice when it comes to places they have never seen. But then again, maybe I have a bad opinion about some places, too, without ever being there.

My advice for those of you who have the means and the opportunity to visit Romania, is to go for it, there is nothing like a first hand experience. And Budapest definitely deserves a visit, but I have no idea how the rest of Hungary is.
I agree about safety. I never felt threatened by anyone in Bucharest though I am sure like all major cities it does have its bad spot. It is to me a rather ( mostly) unattractive city ) and the infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired still though.

I love the rest of Romania, a beautiful and still undiscovered country, I feel places like Transylvania and The Carpathians could be tourist heaven with a little investment ( which is slowly trickling down especially in the agro-eco tourism sector). Lovely people though I feel there is still ( not surprisingly after what the country went through politically) a certain feeling of national gloom among certain Romanian .

Romania is definitely on the up though and I am so glad. It has so much potential and I hope visitors will give this beautiful Nation a chance.

A perfect vacation for anyone who desires a vacation off the beaten track and for something a little different.

For anyone heading to Transylvania I would recommend Count Kálnoky's guest houses . I loved it. Cosy, comfortable, lovely home made food, actitivities like horse riding , hiking, cultural tours etc... A perfect place to spend a relaxing time.

Transylvania - Count Kalnoky's Guesthouses

They also handle Prince Charles' nearby restored houses for rental.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Hey, RyanAir now flies to Constanta, Romania. CONSTANTA, Romania - Official Travel and Tourism Information

I don't often recommend large cities, but I also agree with the Maramures and Transylvania, and I got to see a bit of Bocavina. They were lovely areas and the only thing I didn't much like were the roads. Some of them were horrible. I felt safe and comfortable for the 8 days I spent there. I even picked up hitch hikers. It was no big deal.

I've traveled to over 40 countries and still feel safer and more comfortable in most of the rest of the world than I do in the US.

Go figure.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:32 PM

61 posts, read 398,855 times
budapest is very beautiful. going down the river at night is a site to see. the buildings are lit up and it is probably better than paris in that particular mile long stretch.

bucharest, i have not been, but i have seen pictures and my professor is a balkan historian who has been there many many times. he always said it is a bit bland, due to the communism of past
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe