Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,027,021 times

Advertisements

I was doing an online quiz that ranked countries based on their Human Development Index, and noticed that the Czech Republic is now ranked higher than countries such as UK, Greece, and every other former Iron Curtain country. This led me to wondering how much progress they had made since 1989. I have also read that they used to be a well-developed country before WWII, and that Germany invaded them for their advanced industries as much as anything else.

Is the Czech Republic now on par with Western Europe? Or maybe in 10 years? Are there factors that help them progress faster than other former Iron Curtain countries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2012, 03:18 PM

10,094 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Regardless how developed, their capital is one of the most beautiful in the whole world!

Google Maps

Old 04-23-2012, 04:06 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,526,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I was doing an online quiz that ranked countries based on their Human Development Index, and noticed that the Czech Republic is now ranked higher than countries such as UK, Greece, and every other former Iron Curtain country. This led me to wondering how much progress they had made since 1989. I have also read that they used to be a well-developed country before WWII, and that Germany invaded them for their advanced industries as much as anything else.

Is the Czech Republic now on par with Western Europe? Or maybe in 10 years? Are there factors that help them progress faster than other former Iron Curtain countries?
I went there and was surprised how developed it was. There seemed to be a big urban/rural divide in standard's of living however. It seemed to me to be a country that had similar levels of development to the province of Quebec, but of course much more history and heritage. Rural people seemed to live pretty rough though, like some of the rural peoples I've seen in the US, like in parts of the South, but worse off than rural people typically are in Western Europe.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:30 PM

2,866 posts, read 5,243,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Regardless how developed, their capital is one of the most beautiful in the whole world!

Google Maps
Absolutely, Prague is probably the most beautiful capital city in Europe Much better than Paris, Rome, London or Berlin.

To answer the OP's question: the Czech Republic is quite developed, as are most Central European countries, on par with countries like Portugal, New Zealand and Italy. It's not as wealthy as most West-European countries but it's catching up.

Some statistics:
- Population: 10.5 million
- Size: 78,866 km2 / 30,450 sqm (equivalent to South Carolina)
- GDP per capita (PPP): $27,062 (source) which is #34 in the world
- HDI: 0.865, which is #27 in the world (source)

Old 04-23-2012, 11:30 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Human Development Index is a measurement made by people living in Christian Industrial Democracies to rank countries according to how much they are "just like us" and how much they develop all of the attributes that we value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe