Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 03:30 AM

956 posts, read 1,768,638 times

Advertisements

I think the OP is entitled to complain a little And I speak as a fan of Scandinavia. OP, Settling into another country is hard work , a real challenge. You go thru the different stages and feel different at each phase. Give yourself time- I have lived in a certain European country for about 7 years and still find the people unfriendly and uncaring in general . All my friends and relatives fitted in well in the English-speaking world, Ireland included, but it was harder for the others, in general. It is also a matter of personality and you often need to have a native-born person to pull you into his group.

I grew up in a single storey house and yes, European flats can be cramped. Apparently, folks outside Stockholm are more approachable, try going out of the city. My friend's hubi is Swedish and he is super-friendly and nice(he is from Linkoping, I believe).

Japanese food is good, wholesome and light.

Danish is similiar to Norwegian and Swedish but has disappearing alphabets!

Feel free to dm me if you need to vent

Old 05-29-2012, 10:50 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,693,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What's with all of the old US muscle cars.
I saw V-8s everywhere.
Prime condition, lovingly cared for and driven (even with the price of gas being what it is).

Probably my biggest surprise this trip.
They love V8's in Scandinavia. When I was growing up all of the Norwegian and Danish Army pilots training at Ft. Rucker, Alabama, would buy American muscle cars to ship home.

Camaro Cup is a popular racing series in Sweden and it's all Camaro's. I watch it when I can with the STCC.

Camaro Cup

Old 08-14-2012, 03:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,278 times
Default Another kind of American

Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Sweden View Post
Bläh!

I'm American born and raised in New York who moved to Stockholm, Sweden for two years due to work. I've been here two weeks and already noticed the difference.

Everything is SMALLER and MORE expensive. 5 :- (around 80 cents) for using public bathrooms. Must be a joke! Not a single store except few chain restaurants have bathrooms. Even mall public bathrooms cost money to use!

Meal sizes are OK except that drink sizes are tiny. Using ice on drinks is rare. Large soda in Sweden is medium in the U.S., and it cost 10 :- (around $1.30 for refill). Drinking soda in Sweden is almost like drinking luxury drink in the U.S. McDonald´s only had 5-6 different meal options, while there are 13+ in the U.S.

95% of the things are much more expensive in Sweden than the U.S. Sales tax is 25% and 12% on food.

I liked their public transportation. Road signs and road system stink.

Once living here you appreciate more and more America and I cannot wait to move back!
Sorry Swedes, I can assure you that this fellow does not represent all Americans. I'm a born and raised American and I don't have any friends who eat McDonalds or drink sodas.

"Everything is SMALLER and MORE expensive." - Stop putting that junk in your body and you may find yourself smaller (around the waist) and your physical self more valuable.

I'd happily exchange some of my income for the happy, healthy, educated and mostly crime-free lifestyle of Sweden. I'm returning to Stockholm tomorrow to again sample a bit more of your great country.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 AM

599 posts, read 2,595,595 times
I should agree sweden is overrated (can think of a few countries better in europe than sweden). But by no means sweden is worse than america, america has way more downs than ups in my opinion.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 3,009 times
Hey American in Sweden....
Your'e nuts. You have only been there 2 weeks. I was an exchange student to Stockholm when in high school, lived with a wonderful family, have been back 5 times and am trully in love with the Swedish culture, people, way of life (and art glass Kosta Boda & Orrefors) etc...
It is expensive but I never remember having to pay to use a toilet. Sweden is a beautiful country, no poverty, citizens are taken care of nicely by the government, most other countries in the world are FRIENDS with Sweden, which is more than I can say about the USA.
Life is different in Sweden, but that is what I loved about it. Given the chance and if I was 20 years younger, and if possible, I would be content as hell to move to Stockholm permanently.
Another good thing is public transportation... I wouldn't need a car!
You are a lucky person being there and I guarantee by the time 2 years is up, you won't want to leave...

Old 01-20-2013, 01:27 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,355,977 times
The idiot has never been back since he wrote that, so you don´t have to waste time on him.
But thanks for the nice words!

Old 01-20-2013, 04:18 PM

255 posts, read 927,635 times
He better not check his quality of life index, his precious America is a whopping 31

Sweden? Oh, it's only 3.

Man! It's so bad there.

This more expensive thing? You're clearly not working a job, you have to work. It's more expensive because of the economy type.

Some people are just so stupid it hurts.

People would give anything to leave the US for Sweden, and here you are complaining about it.

News flash buddy... If you want cheap, go to Russia. You can get a soda for a quarter, and it's just as developed and whatnot as America.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,632,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American in Sweden View Post
s. Even mall public bathrooms cost money to use!

But Swedish health care is "free"?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:21 PM

655 posts, read 2,204,181 times
Why would he come back when you guys are piling on? I would say shame on you but you guys are worse than the OP ever was. The man is venting while trying to get adjusted. If Sweden is so great, why are you guys (some who don't even live there) so darned touchy about it. Help the man. Don't tar and feather him. smh

Old 01-28-2013, 04:43 AM

255 posts, read 927,635 times
Alright, maybe you're right.

It's just not a good idea to downtalk something a forum revolved around. Especially complain about trivial issues like a bathroom.

If you're finding yourself at low income, this is probably because you're not making an average Swedish income, it's pretty balanced and you so get a good amount of disposable income - some of the highest of it in the world.

Secondly, you moved into Stockholm, Stockholm is an incredibly expensive city on Swedish terms. I'd say about twice as expensive as the other Swedish cities - that's not even a bad thing, most people (if not all) get by perfectly there - If you haven't noticed, there isn't a single person living in poverty or a "ghetto".

You could work another job perhaps (whether it be a complete new one) or a second part time.

But I do ask, after a few more days, is your opinion changing? Do you think Sweden is better now? Are you familiar with the language?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.