Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,817,796 times

Advertisements

Yes, blonde hair and those maps might've been the reason. And often, to according to the stereotype blonde hair indeed mean that you get sunburnt easier. Still, I can't believe the "blonde map of Europe" and such, as I can't track any source to the original research. Neither can I determine on the street that we are the blondest people on earth. The most people I encounter on the street have, dirty blonde, light brown or medium brown hair. And of course a light brown haired person in France is considered blonde, but here light brown, so who determined in those maps who are blonde and who or not? And saying that, collecting ethnic data is illegal both in Finland and France.

I've been both in the extreme north of Norway and the extreme south of France. The difference was striking, despite the "blonde maps" says that the difference isn't that big.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:50 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,437,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, blonde hair and those maps might've been the reason. And often, to according to the stereotype blonde hair indeed mean that you get sunburnt easier. Still, I can't believe the "blonde map of Europe" and such, as I can't track any source to the original research. Neither can I determine on the street that we are the blondest people on earth. The most people I encounter on the street have, dirty blonde, light brown or medium brown hair. And of course a light brown haired person in France is considered blonde, but here light brown, so who determined in those maps who are blonde and who or not? And saying that, collecting ethnic data is illegal both in Finland and France.

I've been both in the extreme north of Norway and the extreme south of France. The difference was striking, despite the "blonde maps" says that the difference isn't that big.
Yes blonde, dirty blonde, light brown hair can be classed as light/fair hair because those hair colors are due to the result of blondism which shows a lower level of eumelanin than other hair colors. Blonde hair is not only the light blonde/whitish blonde goes all the way to some light brown shades. Many people as my mother had light blonde hair as children which darkened to a dark blonde or even light brown. Pigmentation data has been collected in parts of Europe, for France blonde/light brown hair was more common in the northeast, Normandie estimated at 26% for the whole country, Portugal at 11% with northern Portugal as high as 14% to 15.1%, for northern Spain it's 17% but in the south it is as low as 2%! Countries lying north of these have high proportions. The stereotype that natural blondes can sunburn easier than others is not completely false, it somewhat true. Nevertheless, those who have red or those who are red hair, freckling gene carriers are even more likely to get sunburnt. For example my father has mousy hair, but he is a red hair gene carrier, he get sunburnt much easier than my mother who's a blonde.

Old 12-23-2013, 11:11 PM

The woman in the picture below is a skin type I with freckles, brown hair, blue eyes("Irish/Celtic" look). People of this coloring have a skin which is very sensitive to sunlight and have a much greater chance to get skin cancer from UV light exposure.
http://images.sciencedaily.com/2013/...0027-large.jpg

Old 12-24-2013, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 3,893 times
Hey saxonworld, I was wondering what skin type you would say I have. I am half Neapolitan Italian half Portuguese and the Portuguese side of my family is much darker by the way although after visiting both countries I would say my family is an exception to the norm.

i.imgur.com/0OxFo9W.png
One is from winter, one is from summer. I have only burnt in South Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean and do not wear sunscreen.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocgeogaddi View Post
Hey saxonworld, I was wondering what skin type you would say I have. I am half Neapolitan Italian half Portuguese and the Portuguese side of my family is much darker by the way although after visiting both countries I would say my family is an exception to the norm.

i.imgur.com/0OxFo9W.png
One is from winter, one is from summer. I have only burnt in South Florida, Mexico and the Caribbean and do not wear sunscreen.
To my humble opinion, individually it really depends. What is known is that on average most Portuguese and Italians are usually type III/IV, but some really dark individuals only might be type V! I would say either IV or III, I doubt that you are type V, but who knows?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:00 AM

I totally forgot to mention that Icelanders are also quite similar in skin tone to people of northern British Isles(due to Celtic ancestry from chiefly Ireland and Scotland), they tan less than the other Scandinavians as well.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
People from British isles or Finns?
This might help too.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...T4niQ0xXbZhB6A

So many British people use fake tans! According to this article 4 in 10 women use fake tans and 1 in 10 men. Bronze complexions are seen as more appealing in our modern times in contrast to the "English Rose" complexion. Not so long ago pale complexion were seen as ideal.

Last edited by saxonwold; 12-28-2013 at 03:20 PM..

Old 01-13-2014, 08:50 PM

This study alone shows the U.K. whites are the least to tan in comparison to other European peoples.
http://www.intechopen.com/source/htm...dia/image7.png

Old 01-14-2014, 05:30 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
This study alone shows the U.K. whites are the least to tan in comparison to other European peoples.
http://www.intechopen.com/source/htm...dia/image7.png
This thread is another ridiculous example of nothing but stereotyping!!! Look I am British, I am white British, My Grandmother on my fathers side was Scottish, my hair is dark brown (my sisters hair is practically black), I am not pasty white, I tan rather well, I tend not to burn - if all British are ginger haired, freckled, pale skinned individuals that just 'frazzle' in direct sunlight then please kindly explain why that is not the case both for me and everybody in my family!!!!!!!??????? (and I am British as they come).

Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 AM

2,467 posts, read 2,622,793 times
I have never seen a tanned british, they just turn red.
I have never seen a finnish.

this is not a tan for me
http://i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...803-227769.jpg

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-14-2014 at 02:36 PM.. Reason: Copyright issues
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe