Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 12:38 PM

824 posts, read 3,604,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
Is it safe to say that the people of the British isles are lighter skinned and less able to tan than anyone else in Europe then?
No they arent lighter skinned, In fact british people arent even the lightest skinned in western europe.

A lot of brits have more olive complexion, specially among the Irish and welsh.

Skin reflectance, the highest the score the lightest the unexposed skin is.

Brits are average for western europe in skin color. Dutch people are the most fair skinned among western europeans, after them come the germans. Brits are a mixture of different european groups just like france.

I would say brits are slighty darker in skin color than other northern europeans (more diversity), and considerably darker in eye and specially hair color.

I found most people in the UK looking very mediterranean compared to people in other places of northern europe.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 PM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
People from British isles or Finns?
Who tans better - turkey or chicken???

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
No they arent lighter skinned, In fact british people arent even the lightest skinned in western europe.

Brits are average for western europe in skin color. Dutch people are the most fair skinned among western europeans, after them come the germans. Brits are a mixture of different european groups just like france.

I would say brits are slighty darker in skin color than other northern europeans (more diversity), and considerably darker in eye and specially hair color.

I found most people in the UK looking very mediterranean compared to people in other places of northern europe.
That's about skin reflectance. It doesn't show how fair people's skin is or ability to tan. I wish I had "Mediterranean" skin. I would love to be able to tan instead of the fair, freckly skin I have. Most people actually prefer darker skin so I wish it was true that the Irish had that type of skin but unfortunately it isn't. I've family members who have had skin cancer but luckily it was caught in time.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:16 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,473,245 times
Here is an actual scientific paper about skin colouring in Ireland.

In the study it was found 76% of the Irish had skin Type I and Type II. So knock your socks off Traveler. It would be nice if you were honest in your replies just for a change.

Skin type distribution and skin disease in Ireland - Springer

Old 01-15-2014, 03:30 AM

237 posts, read 674,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post

This study is bullsh*t. London UK is closer to Lebanese and Chinese than to even the northern part of the UK according to it. That's unbelievable. Can't take a study like this seriously.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:53 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
This study is bullsh*t. London UK is closer to Lebanese and Chinese than to even the northern part of the UK according to it. That's unbelievable. Can't take a study like this seriously.
I don't think you can take any of them seriously! I think the best thing anybody can do is listen to the 'locals' rather than 'experts' that don't even live in the country. There is FAR too much stereotypical nonsense in this, and many other, threads on here. The truth of the matter is Britons are extremely mixed and the only freckled, paleskinned Britons are the ones with freckled pale skin!! There are of course pale skinned Britons that burn easily but this is no way near the majority! You cannot catagorically state that 'Finns tan better than Britons' just like you cannot catagorically state that 'Britons tan better than Finns' because there is NO STANDARD British look, and although I am not Finnish so I am not in a position to say for sure I am guessing that despite Finns being less 'mixed' on average than Britons there is no standard Finnish look either.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I don't think you can take any of them seriously! I think the best thing anybody can do is listen to the 'locals' rather than 'experts' that don't even live in the country. There is FAR too much stereotypical nonsense in this, and many other, threads on here. The truth of the matter is Britons are extremely mixed and the only freckled, paleskinned Britons are the ones with freckled pale skin!! There are of course pale skinned Britons that burn easily but this is no way near the majority! You cannot catagorically state that 'Finns tan better than Britons' just like you cannot catagorically state that 'Britons tan better than Finns' because there is NO STANDARD British look, and although I am not Finnish so I am not in a position to say for sure I am guessing that despite Finns being less 'mixed' on average than Britons there is no standard Finnish look either.
This is true, but within a limit. Everyone wants to be at least average or "normal" in their own country. This can sway or bias someone, even if they are a native. A British person who is dark will feel compelled to make their own phenotype typical or average. This might be at a subconscious level to fit in and feel normal. Statistics are more accurate than eye-witness hearsay, because they record regardless of emotional attachments and personal biases.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:47 AM

3,573 posts, read 3,806,017 times
finns i suppose. many brits becomes tomatoes if they spend too much time in the sun. my sister has that skin-type too.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:52 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
This is true, but within a limit. Everyone wants to be at least average or "normal" in their own country. This can sway or bias someone, even if they are a native. A British person who is dark will feel compelled to make their own phenotype typical or average. This might be at a subconscious level to fit in and feel normal. Statistics are more accurate than eye-witness hearsay, because they record regardless of emotional attachments and personal biases.
But there is no 'average' look in Britain, I guess you could say that most Britons are white with dark brown hair but even this doesn't really ascertain to a 'British look' because you can look equally as British if you are blond haired or even black skinned. A blond haired Briton looks just as British as a brunette or visa versa, as I sit here right now in my office I can see white Britons, black Britons, blonde Britons, brunette Britons, Britons with Asian heritage and Britons with African heritage, of the 50 or so people I work with 12 are not caucasion. Regarding the caucasion Britons I work with there are two ladies I work with who have Italian heritage, 1 man with Polish heritage, 1 man from Uzbekistan, 2 women who are actually from Poland, 1 woman actually from Sicilly and a lady from Turkey (married an English man) and these are only the ones I know about, The boss himself is half Canadian. I would hazard a guess and say that just about every other caucasion person I work with does not have 100% Anglo Saxon blood! Personally I am white, dark haird, mid ranged skin, my Grandmother was a Scot. If you take all of us as a 'whole' I think it is inaccurate to say that we all 'burn easily' or that we all tan less well than Finns!

Old 01-15-2014, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
But there is no 'average' look in Britain, I guess you could say that most Britons are white with dark brown hair but even this doesn't really ascertain to a 'British look' because you can look equally as British if you are blond haired or even black skinned. A blond haired Briton looks just as British as a brunette or visa versa, as I sit here right now in my office I can see white Britons, black Britons, blonde Britons, brunette Britons, Britons with Asian heritage and Britons with African heritage, of the 50 or so people I work with 12 are not caucasion. Regarding the caucasion Britons I work with there are two ladies I work with who have Italian heritage, 1 man with Polish heritage, 1 man from Uzbekistan, 2 women who are actually from Poland, 1 woman actually from Sicilly and a lady from Turkey (married an English man) and these are only the ones I know about, The boss himself is half Canadian. I would hazard a guess and say that just about every other caucasion person I work with does not have 100% Anglo Saxon blood! Personally I am white, dark haird, mid ranged skin, my Grandmother was a Scot. If you take all of us as a 'whole' I think it is inaccurate to say that we all 'burn easily' or that we all tan less well than Finns!
Well, I think you deliberately cloud the argument here. The Italian or Nigerian Briton knows they aren't native. England is a country of immigrants now, but the native population still predominates. In Canada you might say the British Isles or French are the native, but of course the First Nations are the true aboriginals. In the British Isles, it's the native NW Europeans who are the aboriginals. The native Briton who is, and who feels they are darker than other native Anglo's, might easily justify they are average. Maybe they tan well and most of their family does too, and so they speak from their own personal experience. Many English have a similar golden tan you see in Scandinavia, and others have a darker tone you'd more associate with southern Europe. But statistics covers all areas equally unbiased as opposed to anecdotal and a personal observation that could be skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe