Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times

Advertisements

Need to send a package there. Asking how reliable is the Russian Post for this type of delivery in that city.

Any input is appreciated.Or should I just use Meest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 02:07 AM

1,725 posts, read 2,067,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Need to send a package there. Asking how reliable is the Russian Post for this type of delivery in that city.

It's an international hub, so the only thing Russian Post will do is take the package from the airport to the post office, and then give it to the receipient. Not much opportunity to screw something up.

Air delivery to Russia will take 2+ weeks.

For express service (3-7 days) and home delivery you should use EMS (USPS Express mail international). The only significant difference with UPS (which has the same bad service everywhere in the world ) is that EMS is sometimes a bit slower - by a day or two. But it's cheaper.

Fragile items should be packed very well, regardless of the service used.

The cost of items should be stated. There are no duties for up to 1000 euros.

Can't say anything about small services.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:02 AM

It's shopping time - better to avoid state post. Use UPS. If the value of items + shipping is over 200 euros, the receipient will have to email them a copy of a passport, or go to the airport. There's no such hassle with Russian Post, but... New Year is close...

Fedex and DHL (including USPS global express - which is DHL) do not serve consumer deliveries. But they may take your money, and deliver to UK, where it will be stopped for good with an exception.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:

I wouldn't send anything of value in a parcel to Moscow to my friends/family - I can tell you that much. It might come through OK, but I don't like gambling.
But they do send me parcels with candies to the US with no problems.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Be sure you state the value as low, or the package may be opened somewhere along the way.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:18 AM

I will just use the folks at Meest. USPS Priority is an outstanding value but needs an efficient P.O. on the receiving end- Canada,Western Europe, AUS/NZ, Singapore. etc.etc

Even my shipments to Mexico all arrived safe but I would rather not have an issue hence my shipping questions.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I will just use the folks at Meest.
Meest is a shopping service (such services are very popular in ex-USSR), not a delivery company. They use USPS.

Use UPS (not for shipments to the Far East - looooots of stealing in China). If it is of some value - make sure to insure it. Chances of damage (almost always enroute to Russia - so much for civilized EU...) are not slim - happened to me a lot more times than I can remember. Stealing in US/EU/RU is not unheard of too. There is no way around it, other than finding a person, who will fly to Peter himself.

I've heard about small delivery companies, that use couriers, flying on commercial flights, but can't say anything about them. They are used for returns - which are very expensive, if shipped internationally normally.

Last edited by russiaonline; 10-26-2012 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Be sure you state the value as low, or the package may be opened somewhere along the way.
Send an iphone, valued at $10, and the recipient will have to provide the real invoice (his problem, if it's a gift), or it will be revalued at whatever the customs officer decides.

From my recent experience with massive UPS theft in China - it's really hard to protect against theft, without breaking shipping rules. Better just take it as one more ugly thing in life - and to insure.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
Meest is a shopping service (such services are very popular in ex-USSR), not a delivery company. They use USPS.

Use UPS (not for shipments to the Far East - looooots of stealing in China). If it is of some value - make sure to insure it. Chances of damage (almost always enroute to Russia - so much for civilized EU...) are not slim - happened to me a lot more times than I can remember. Stealing in US/EU/RU is not unheard of too. There is no way around it, other than finding a person, who will fly to Peter himself.

I've heard about small delivery companies, that use couriers, flying on commercial flights, but can't say anything about them. They are used for returns - which are very expensive, if shipped internationally normally.

Really? I used them recently for a shipment to Belarus.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Really? I used them recently for a shipment to Belarus.
And they shipped via USPS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe