Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM

2,042 posts, read 2,904,948 times

Advertisements

Serdyukov is canned for corruption: BBC News - Russian Defence Minister Anatoly Serdyukov fired by Putin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 07:16 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
Already fired. Shaygu now the new Minister of Defense. Interestingly, a few days ago I saw a minister, he was on the Kamchatka Peninsula, and our Governor decided to many problems.'s Minister.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:25 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,618,246 times
I think the right thing. He was a civilian man and did a lot of problems. Shaygu contrary military man and knows a lot about this area. MOE has now much better equipped than the army thanks Shaygu. Respect him a lot of people today, especially the MOE. He will be a good minister.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyKarast View Post
I think the right thing. He was a civilian man and did a lot of problems. Shaygu contrary military man and knows a lot about this area. MOE has now much better equipped than the army thanks Shaygu. Respect him a lot of people today, especially the MOE. He will be a good minister.
I hope so. Russia has a lot of stuff that should not end up in the hands of failed states, rabid theocracies, or terrorists.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:21 PM

317 posts, read 412,604 times
Transparency. This can only be a good thing.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:06 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge_Smails View Post
Transparency. This can only be a good thing.

Yes, but we can't be all that sure that it's all about transparency...

Intrigue swirls around Russia defense chief's fall - MiningGazette.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Michigan - The Daily Mining Gazette

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,589,687 times
Oh please, if Russia was serious about tackling corruption the entire country would be fired.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:43 AM

255 posts, read 927,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Oh please, if Russia was serious about tackling corruption the entire country would be fired.
I strongly disagree. Russia isn't that corrupt of a nation. There are much much worse and the government is somewhat trustworthy and to me I have faith in them. I've spent time in Russia and it is retaining a good reputation as a clean modern country that I would be open to live in if the need arises.

Old 11-08-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
I strongly disagree. Russia isn't that corrupt of a nation. There are much much worse and the government is somewhat trustworthy and to me I have faith in them. I've spent time in Russia and it is retaining a good reputation as a clean modern country that I would be open to live in if the need arises.
ROL, is that you?

In nearly 7 years, times I was driving and stopped by police for no reason: 8 (that I can recall). Times I was asked for money for no reason: 4. Times the police told me they would impound my car if I didn't pay and "you can sort it out": 2.

Length of time our company had to wait for licensing papers since we wouldn't pay: ~3 months. Time it would have taken if we had paid: 2 weeks.

While things might be getting better, and there are indeed many worse countries, to state that Russia is not corrupt is laughable for anyone who has lived there for any significant length of time and has had to deal with the police and/or the bureaucracy. Many foreigners don't deal with this corruption as many don't start businesses or drive.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:15 PM

308 posts, read 398,435 times
uh, not to put too fine a point on it - Russia is, to a large extent, being run by former KGB officials, organized crime syndicates, and a few wealthy businessmen who are in bed with one or the other. The latter continually afraid of either being thrown in the brig and have their assets seized, or ending up on the wrong side of an empty cartridge should they displease the wrong people.

What does anyone expect?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe