Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 01:50 PM

1,725 posts, read 2,068,785 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of confusion about Russian wages (and even more about total income), because a big part is paid "in envelopes" to avoid taxes. They can only be estimated.

jeffpv, who lived in Vladivostok for years, before returning to Minnessota, claims that in his company there were no grey salaries, so he can't accept any estimates.

I checked his company's wages - by consumption PPP (OECD's) they are pretty close to Minneapolis - $16 minimum vs $22 Minneapolis average.

Plus we get uber-expensive housing for free - the situation that Jeff for some reason calls unfair.
$25,000 for a second child born or adopted. Plus $1000+ one-time payments per child born.
Free kindergarten (3+).
Free universities.
Different subsidies - such as $200/month (for 1.5 or 3 years only, though) for a first child, $350 for a 2nd+, more for the poor (up to $500/month per underage child).
Cheap healthcare (we've got a hybrid system, so there's both free and paid - but paid is cheap, compared to US). According to WHO quality is just as bad as in US.
Pension fund payments are already substructed from that wage.
Zero unemployment.
Nominal property taxes.

I can't really say if people (in this exact profession or overall) in Vladivostok are richer than in Minneapolis, but one thing is obvious - numbers don't look too bad.

Old 11-17-2012, 06:26 PM

152 posts, read 260,935 times
What can I say - Russians are probably one of the richest people in the world. Free housing, free education, generous demographic improvment programs, good salaries, dept free, grey salaries, nice and cheap healthcare.
My projection - in the period of the next ten years half of the western world will emigrate to Russia. And Vladivostok will be renamed Washingtonstok.

Building in Russia Collapses!! - YouTube

Old 11-17-2012, 07:10 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,905,974 times
I'm sorry, was there a question in there somewhere?
By the way, the second child credit (it's not cash) is approximately 350,000 rubles; this is not $25K USD. I should know because we received it after our second son was born.
The public kindergartens (don't bother with ridiculous pictures, ROL) are almost entirely in poor condition or overcrowded. We paid 14,000 rubles/month for a decent, private, one.
Universities can be free. But they can be free in the USA, too.
No, people are not as rich in Vladivostok as they are in Minneapolis. But so?
Finally, again, was there a question in there somewhere?

Old 11-17-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Kiss Bang Bang View Post
What can I say - Russians are probably one of the richest people in the world.
Yes, we are among the richest in the world - and no amount of sarcasm will change this fact. And we are definitely richer than Pribalts. Live with it.

Moderator cut: Please, no name calling. taught you to avoid details? Construction workers damaged the wall, and it collapsed. Nobody was harmed. The building is restored:

Àâàðèéíûé äîì íà Ïîñüåòñêîé ñíîâà ãîòîâ ê ýêñïëóàòàöèè (ÔÎÒÎ) — Íîâîñòè Âëàäèâîñòîêà íà VL.ru

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 01-16-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 11-17-2012, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I'm sorry, was there a question in there somewhere?
This thread is for the sake of referencing. If you don't disagree with the numbers, than you agree with them.

Quote:
By the way, the second child credit (it's not cash) is approximately 350,000 rubles; this is not $25K USD.
In 2012 it is 387,640.30

4. PPPs and exchange rates

Purchasing Power Parities for actual individual consumption

Russia, 2011: 15.9

= $24,379

Quote:
The public kindergartens (don't bother with ridiculous pictures, ROL) are almost entirely in poor condition or overcrowded.
I'll post a couple pics, since not all people share your definition of a poor condition, and since your knowledge of Vladivostok doesn't apply to 2012.

Æèòåëÿì Ïåðâîìàéñêîãî ðàéîíà Âëàäèâîñòîêà ê Íîâîìó ãîäó ïîäàðèëè äåòñêèé ñàä (ÔÎÒÎ) — Íîâîñòè Âëàäèâîñòîêà íà VL.ru

500 » Primorye24.ru

Not too bad for something free.

Quote:
All Russian universities are free, provide housing for non-local students, and stipends - albeit small.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,134,711 times
In Soviet Russia, standard worker's salary 2000 rubles a month, which is equal to about $10 at current exchange rates. Might sound very bad but bag of potatoes only 5 cent bottle of vodka only 3 cent nice steak at restaurant 20 cents.

(I had to)

Old 11-17-2012, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russiaonline View Post
This thread is for the sake of referencing. If you don't disagree with the numbers, than you agree with them.

In 2012 it is 387,640.30

4. PPPs and exchange rates

Purchasing Power Parities for actual individual consumption

Russia, 2011: 15.9

= $24,379

I'll post a couple pics, since not all people share your definition of a poor condition, and since your knowledge of Vladivostok doesn't apply to 2012.

Æèòåëÿì Ïåðâîìàéñêîãî ðàéîíà Âëàäèâîñòîêà ê Íîâîìó ãîäó ïîäàðèëè äåòñêèé ñàä (ÔÎÒÎ) — Íîâîñòè Âëàäèâîñòîêà íà VL.ru

500 » Primorye24.ru

Not too bad for something free.

All Russian universities are free, provide housing for non-local students, and stipends - albeit small.
I left on March 30th of 2012. You act if I haven't been there since Brezhnev. Sheesh.
We looked at well over a dozen public day cares, and while a couple were updated, they were packed to the gills. So, like I said, they were either in bad condition or were overflowing with children. Do you have children of that age? I suspect not.
Not all university is free in Russia. That's simply untrue.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
I'll say this, let the fools doubt Russia. In ten years when Russia's nasty image is shaved off we'll be the ones laughing.
I'm not doubting Russia. I'm unclear how Russia will maintain its economy after the oil runs out, but I hope they can diversify and do well. After all, my in-laws are there, and I only want the best for them.
One doesn't have to be a sycophant in order to be for something.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:51 PM

102,226 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
University education in Russia is only free to the best students. Everyone else has to pay. It's not at all like in the Soviet era.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
I left on March 30th of 2012. You act if I haven't been there since Brezhnev. Sheesh.
I don't care about your personal life - you behave, as if all your knowledge is at least from 10 years ago. Schools in ugly conditions, that in reality look pretty nice. AIDS department for kids, that was renovated a few years ago, and then again this year. Now kindergartens.

In 2011 9.7% in Primorye required renovation. Today less than that.

Quote:
So, like I said, they were either in bad condition
Since you do not explain your meaning of a bad condition, lets consider the ones on photos bad.

Quote:
or were overflowing with children.
Big schools is a huge plus, but big kindergartens are bad... You sure you are being logical?

Quote:
Not all university is free in Russia. That's simply untrue.
Sure, there are a couple privates...

Quote:
I'm not doubting Russia. I'm unclear how Russia will maintain its economy after the oil runs out, but I hope they can diversify and do well.
Oil is important, but quite a bit overrated. It fuels growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe