Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 03:55 PM

43,743 posts, read 44,512,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
If you had to choose a country to move to or visit - which one would it be?

The reason I chose these four countries is because they're all Baltic (Except Poland, however Poland is close enough culture and living conditions to tie it in.)

I'd say Estonia - it's probably the nicest of the four.
I would like to visit Lithuania as my paternal great-grandmother was born in Vilnius (the capital city) and I think it would be interesting to see the place where she was from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 08:22 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,965,653 times
I have visited Riga, Latvia and Gdansk, Poland. Both were really charming. I really want to go to Tallin, Estonia.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:47 AM

152 posts, read 261,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by object704 View Post
And as for living - Estonia is the poorest EU country, yet very expensive. And the conflict between Russians and Estonians may very well be noticeable.
Baltic states definitely are poor. But are they poor if compared with Russia? I don't think so.
Oh, and Estonia is definitely the most advanced of the Baltic countries, not the poorest. Much more Latvians and Lithuanians live and work in UK, Ireland, Norway, Germany.
Our(Latvian) media and even politicians always talk about how Estonians are ahead of us in so many fields.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,884,376 times
I've never seen Auchan

you know this brand of supermarkets ? they are my favourite, I go shopping there at least twice a month. They are actually amazing (you can fond almost everyting in food and household items!)

Old 01-02-2013, 10:45 AM

255 posts, read 927,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss Kiss Bang Bang View Post
Baltic states definitely are poor. But are they poor if compared with Russia? I don't think so.
Oh, and Estonia is definitely the most advanced of the Baltic countries, not the poorest. Much more Latvians and Lithuanians live and work in UK, Ireland, Norway, Germany.
Our(Latvian) media and even politicians always talk about how Estonians are ahead of us in so many fields.
I'm not calling Estonia wealthy, however I am advocating that in 2016 the analysis is the country of Estonia will be making 14,000 USD a year, current it's 12,500 (estimate)

This number is supposed to rise over the years to where in 2030, it'll be around 23,000 USD, this is the farthest analysis done so far.

On the otherside, there is also the best case and worst case. Best case is that by 2016, wages are 17,000. Worst case is stagnation.

All of this was on the Estonian gateway. The only thing I know for sure is the wages went up 3% in the last few months, so this is already a good sign.

Viimati avaldatud - Eesti Statistika

he increase in wages and salaries slowed down in the 2nd quarter According to Statistics Estonia, in the 2nd quarter of 2012, the average monthly gross wages and salaries were 900 euros and increased 5.0% compared to the 2nd quarter of the previous year. The increase was smaller than in the previous quarters. Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the irregular bonuses and premiums per employee grew 19.9% and influenced the growth of the average monthly gross wages and salaries by 0.4 percentage points. The average monthly gross wages and salaries without irregular bonuses and premiums increased 4.6%. Compared to the same quarter of 2011, the growth of the average gross monthly wages and salaries in the 2nd quarter of 2012 was smaller than in the previous quarters (6.3% growth in the 4th quarter; 6.9% growth in the 1st quarter). Real wages, which take into account the influence of the change in the consumer price index and which show the purchasing power of wages and salaries, increased 1.1% in the 2nd quarter of 2012. Compared to the same quarter of the previous year, real wages increased for the fourth quarter in succession, but the growth was lower than in the previous quarters (2.1% in the 4th quarter; 2.4% in the 1st quarter). The average hourly gross wages and salaries were 5.28 euros. and increased by 3.9% compared to the 2nd quarter of the previous year. According to the Wages and Salaries Statistics Survey, the number of employees as at the end of June had increased by 3.8% compared to the same period of 2011. Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the average monthly and hourly gross wages and salaries increased the most in arts, entertainment and recreation (13.4% and 10.9% respectively). Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the average monthly gross wages and salaries decreased only in mining and quarrying (1.0%) and the average hourly gross wages and salaries decreased the most in financial and insurance activities (1.6%). The average gross wages and salaries were 874 euros in April, 878 euros in May and 948 euros in June. In the 2nd quarter of 2012, the employer’s average monthly labour costs per employee were 1,218 euros and the average hourly labour costs were 8.00 euros. Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the average monthly labour costs per employee increased by 5.1% and the average hourly labour costs by 3.2%. Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the average monthly and hourly labour costs per employee increased the most in construction (12.2% and 9.0% respectively). Compared to the 2nd quarter of 2011, the average monthly labour costs per employee decreased only in mining and quarrying (1.1%) and the average hourly labour costs per employee decreased only in financial and insurance activities (1.3%). Statistics Estonia conducts the Wages and Salaries Statistics Survey on the basis of international methodology since 1992. In 2012, the sample includes 11,523 enterprises, institutions and organisations. The average monthly gross wages and salaries have been given in full time units to enable a comparison of different wages and salaries, irrespective of the length of working time. Calculations of the monthly gross wages and salaries are based on payments for actually worked time and remuneration for time not worked. The hourly gross wages and salaries do not include remuneration for time not worked (holiday leave pay, benefits, etc.). In short-term statistics, the average gross wages and salaries are measured as a component of labour costs. Labour costs include gross wages and salaries, employer’s contributions and employer’s imputed social contributions to employees. Average monthly gross wages and salaries, 1st quarter 2008 – 2nd quarter 2012 (euros)

Estonian Employers Agree to Raise Minimum Wage 10% in 2013- Bloomberg
Estonia is also again raising its minimum wage 10%.

I'm excited for Estonia's future, it's shaping up fast.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:23 PM

704 posts, read 1,794,587 times
Poland is the best country in Europe.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:42 PM

1,759 posts, read 1,881,779 times
I really don't get the "insanely nazi" label ROL/object704 is trying to stick to Estonia so hard. My grandfather fought in the Russian army against Nazis and many Estonians were murdered by them for harboring jews during WWII. Everyone I know is mostly amused by Russia's wide array of frantic allegations. But hey, in Russia the TV only speaks the truth.

That said, the Russian occupation is the very reason this country is described as a bit "shabby" compared to its Scandinavian neighbors. Before World War I, Estonia was a wealthy nation - wealthier than Finland - made up of 95+% Estonians. Then world wars rolled around and borderline genocide was committed by Russia on the Estonian people through forced deportation to Siberian death camps - twice. Conversely, low class Russians were brought in en masse (as intellectuals were mostly executed) and they still make up a good 40% of the population. Any development was put on hold for fifty years during which our neighbors prospered and became the highest quality countries in the world.

Now history wasn't exactly my favorite subject in school but what do you expect? Should Estonia be Russia's best friend? I don't dislike Russian people - they have big hearts - but on a global level the country is a classic bully, using aggression to divert attention from its own shortcomings.

Last edited by Hiromant; 03-02-2013 at 12:03 AM..

Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 AM

255 posts, read 927,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
I really don't get the "insanely nazi" label ROL/object704 is trying to stick to Estonia so hard. My grandfather fought in the Russian army against Nazis and many Estonians were murdered by them for harboring jews during WWII. Everyone I know is mostly amused by Russia's wide array of frantic allegations. But hey, in Russia the TV only speaks the truth.

That said, the Russian occupation is the very reason this country is described as a bit "shabby" compared to its Scandinavian neighbors. Before World War I, Estonia was a wealthy nation - wealthier than Finland - made up of 95+% Estonians. Then world wars rolled around and borderline genocide was committed by Russia on the Estonian people through forced deportation to Siberian death camps - twice. Conversely, low class Russians were brought in en masse (as intellectuals were mostly executed) and they still make up a good 40% of the population. Any development was put on hold for fifty years during which our neighbors prospered and became the highest quality countries in the world.

Now history wasn't exactly my favorite subject in school but what do you expect? Should Estonia be Russia's best friend? I don't dislike Russian people - they have big hearts - but on a global level the country is a classic bully, using aggression to divert attention from its own shortcomings.
Yeah, it's a shame it had to happen to Estonia, a country that probably would be the "Norway" today (aka - best in the world)

I personally don't think that Estonia should hold any relations with Russia. They're doing a good job interacting with the other Nordics on a constant basis. I mean, Estonia is already a "wealthy" nation in today's society, they're in the top 30 for income and rising very fast... What would they possibly gain from Russia?

Ah well.

Like I posted above, Estonia is expected to be on par with France by 2025, and then wealthier than the Nordic neighbors in 2050.

Old 03-02-2013, 05:37 AM

9 posts, read 27,582 times
FfF, you are certainly right about this country, we will be very very well off soon.

If I may ask, why do you support Estonia so vigorously? Most individuals do not cater to any interests about Estonia and dismiss it as a poor, ragged shaggy nation, which is insanity in quintessence.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:44 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,881,779 times
I'm curious as well. I've seen FightForFreedom defend Estonia in several threads here, he also seems to be very well informed of local matters.

FFF, are you an Estonian (maybe second generation) living abroad? Not that I mind you defending Estonia as long as it's not exaggerated but even most natives have stopped caring and bothering, it's strange to see a foreigner do it. Estonians living abroad are known to hold romantic and idealistic views of home, that goes in line with all the "richest in the world by 2030" talk I'm seeing from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe