Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 01:33 PM

667 posts, read 941,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Rooms are expensive in Moscow. Russian visas are expensive. Moscow is expensive. Plan on spending some hefty bucks.
Cops are expensive too, you must bribe police for nothing otherwise they will catch you and throw to jail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 AM

401 posts, read 535,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Sov citizens were self-conscious about anything old, thinking it was a sign of their backwardness. If a tourist wanted to take a photo of anything old and historic (a train buff taking a photo of an old steam engine, say), some citizen would stop him, thinking the foreigners were deliberately taking photos that were derogatory. That's what underlies a lot of that "photos not allowed" stuff. Nowadays people don't notice much, or care.
Oh yes, I once took a picture in Leningrad (before Glasnost) of a line of people trying to buy a few strawberries in front of a kiosk. The people really did not like that at all.

Russia is one of the few places I am happy that I`m never going back to.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM

337 posts, read 930,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
A traveling to Moscow is a bad idea, you have to pay $500 a night in Hotel, suffer the terrible traffic and probably to became a victim of violent crime.The police will not help you because it works with gangsters together.Everything is extremely expensive in Moscow, there are neither laws nor uncorrupted cops nor laughing people. Stay better home or travel to Estonia or Poland, Russia is an extremely dangerously lawless country a traveling to which sometimes looks like the suicide commitment.
I lived in Moscow for 7 years and never became a victim of violent crime. Follow the normal big city safety rules and you'll be fine.

The only thing I agree with is that Moscow is expensive.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM

102,234 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronOB View Post
A traveling to Moscow is a bad idea, you have to pay $500 a night in Hotel,
You'll have to pay that for a hotel and not even have hot water! (if you go in summer)

Old 02-04-2013, 11:02 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
^^^
Moscow hotels will have their own boilers. Plenty of buildings do. Especially commercial buildings.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:13 AM

471 posts, read 978,031 times
I think I just might take vacation closer to home. While I would like to experience a "Russian" city, all I have read and heard is that the places are not very tourist or non-Russian friendly, no matter what great history and museums they might have.. I have heard about the corruption, expense, and the potential problems of being a tourist there and unfortunately Russia is not yet in the catagory of a great tourist destination, maybe it will never be, at least in my lifetime....

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM

209 posts, read 414,927 times
Have ready some necessary words and phrases translated with you too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe