Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 05:17 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times

Advertisements

Been reading up/watching videos about Iceland (kind of random, was just talking about it with a friend). Am curious if anyone has any experience with it, travelling there, or even living there? The scenery seems really interesting (very accessible glaciers, geysers, volcanoes, mountains, waterfalls) and I like how it's pretty accessible for a sub-arctic place. If I ever visit Scandinavia or even when I visit the UK I might check it out. Is it expensive to get there? Are prices similar to Sweden and Norway? In what way does the culture differ? I mean we're talking about a nation of only 300,000 people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 AM

255 posts, read 928,015 times
About travel - Icelandic Airlines (I think) offers flights from the US to Europe that arent that expensive that connect in Reykjavik, so you could visit easily while going to UK & Scandanavia.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:27 AM

994 posts, read 1,238,695 times
It's a very popular destination from London - you can fly there with Easyjet for under £100 return if you pick the right dates. A friend who went in 2009 said it was very cheap, which would have been to do with the currency crash that occurred there in 2008. Things may well have levelled out a bit by now, although I would guess that it's still a fair bit cheaper than Scandinavia.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:53 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,913,206 times
Iceland is a popular destination from London?

Um, not trying to be rude but the top destination from Gatwick airport (which serves to iceland) is Malaga with 1.1million passengers followed by dublin with 921,000 followed by Madrid with 797,000. Rekjavik is nowhere near that.

I would very much doubt if Iceland is a popular destination.
People in the UK are looking for WARM weather not cold weather so they will head to Spain. They will also head to long distance locations such as Australia and USA.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:58 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,913,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Been reading up/watching videos about Iceland (kind of random, was just talking about it with a friend). Am curious if anyone has any experience with it, travelling there, or even living there? The scenery seems really interesting (very accessible glaciers, geysers, volcanoes, mountains, waterfalls) and I like how it's pretty accessible for a sub-arctic place. If I ever visit Scandinavia or even when I visit the UK I might check it out. Is it expensive to get there? Are prices similar to Sweden and Norway? In what way does the culture differ? I mean we're talking about a nation of only 300,000 people!
Well there are tons of options you can take.

From the uk you can fly to iceland from the following airports: edinburgh, london luton, london gatwick, manchester, glasgow, london heathrow and birmingham.

You can also fly to places in europe like berlin, copenhagan or alicante.
If i was you id fly from the uk as the distance is shorter and its cheaper.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:31 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,938,574 times
I was stationed in Keflavik Iceland for three years (1977-1980) while serving in the Navy. I enjoyed it very much the first two years, but that third year I was ready to come back to the states. I made friends with a few Icelandics and got to spend time at their houses on weekends. I loved going shopping and eating out in Reykjavik and Keflavik. I didn't care much for the scenery because I am a tree and forest lover and the small amount of trees just didn't excite me. Walking on the lava rock was tricky at first and definitely not a good idea after a few beers! The geothermal energy they have is definitely awesome. The temperatures don't get as cold as one might think, not like places I've lived in the states (UP-MI, IL, WI, MN). I was raised in the Chicago area and I thought I was used to the strong wind, but the wind in Iceland could get strong enough to knock me down. If you appreciate summers at the 50 to 60 degree mark Iceland is your place. Not so much for me. I recall a few times it got up to 70...ooo!

I very much enjoyed Iceland's society especially the non-violent part, which I imagine is still the same. I always told my son I wanted to go back for a visit and bring him with because he was born there and lived the first year of his life there. Oh, and to have some of those wonderful, glorious hot dogs (pylsur/pylsa/pulsa - forgot which is correct) which I ate many of!! So good!!

Last edited by geebabe; 07-01-2013 at 05:31 PM..

Old 07-08-2013, 05:25 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,938,574 times
Trimac20 - There's a thread here on CD under Military Life and Issues - Keflavik Naval Air Station, that you might find fun to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe