Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 01:24 AM

39 posts, read 261,694 times

Advertisements

I'm a Black American single mother that's going to be raising a child of Black, Native American, Scottish, Portuguese, Hungarian, and Italian descent. I've been considering moving to Europe (either Germany, France, Italy, Denmark, or Sweden) for the longest time, but after reading about the experiences of black and mixed children in those countries...I'm starting to question whether it would be a good place for a biracial child to grow up.

I want my child to experience the wonders of diversity and see people like herself represented in every part of society (government, media, medicine, etc)--something you don't see much in some European countries. I also want her to feel like she is PART of the culture, not just an outsider...for instance, in some countries no matter how long you've been living there, or how well you speak the language, or how much you contribute to society, you will never be considered a genuine (insert nationality here).

Are there any countries within the EU that would offer a more positive experience for biracial children than others? My child is unborn at the moment but I plan to make my move to Europe before she is 7, and have her in a language immersion school here in the U.S. before then.

Advice is much appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM

1,646 posts, read 3,486,778 times
I think that most of Western Europe countries are OK for that, in Europe race, ethnic, etc is not very analysed and not as important as in America.

Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,037,872 times
Wouldn't the UK be the first most obvious choice? If you can't speak French, German, Spanish.etc that should be your first option.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:09 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I would choose the UK or the Netherlands.

The Netherlands would be especially cool because of it's proximity to so many other interesting places. There is a very diverse and cosmopolitan population in the Netherlands and it's very common for people to know 4-5 languages.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:46 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,737,517 times
Well for starters unless you have Dutch/German/UK/etc citizenship, you can't just up and relocate to any of those countries so your question is moot for the most part unless you have a firm job offer that is willing to sponsor you or if you are a dual citizen with any European country within the EU. Anyways even if people in the Netherlands or Sweden are fluent in English it is still absolutely essential that you learn the official language as it is often required for employment purposes, so unless you are willing to learn another language I would say stick with the UK.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:07 AM

28 posts, read 73,430 times
Raising a child is tricky no matter where they live or what they look like.

I recommend reading a blog called "Blackgirl On Mars: Notes on a Life in Copenhagen" I've been reading her blog for over four years. She is a Black American from Brooklyn, New York who is raising a biracial child in Copenhagen (with a white Danish father). She is a single mom and she talks about dating, her fears, frustrations, joys, happiness, travels, and shares her poetry, and writings. Even get in contact with her and send a message, she often responds to her readers.

As far as other countries, I have seen nuclear black families living in the suburbs of Brussels in really beautiful detached homes. Also, lots of biracial children in/near Brussels (I don't know the quality of life, though, but depending on your income it could be recommended). I lived in Germany for a year, but I've heard various experiences from Afro-German kids (who are now adults) about growing up there. It really depends on certain things.

Old 04-09-2013, 07:06 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,315 times
UK, France, and possibly Germany (despite its Chancellor describing that multicularism has failed) as long as you take caution in the eastern parts of Germany.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:21 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
If you don't speak any European language, then the UK and Ireland are your only options regardless of anything.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:57 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,735 times
Africans are accepted in Portugal since there are so many from Angola and Mocambique. Actually the Africans who were born there are already so confident that sometimes they are the ones being racists to Asians. In Portugal, they can also get to learn 2 foreign languages in school aside from English ( French, German or Spanish ).

Old 04-10-2013, 12:29 AM

88 posts, read 235,140 times
UK, more specifically, London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe