Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM

1,761 posts, read 2,098,838 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

My husband and I are finally going on our honeymoon (6 months after our wedding ). Everything is booked and set to go. My questions are, since we don't have too much time in either place what are the main things you recomend us seeing.
This is our first time traveling to either place.
We are both 27 and like art, history, shopping, bars, etc...all which I know are in abundance at both places.
Also, is there any area in either city we should avoid or that is unsafe? I know to keep my eyes open and have a little street smarts. I'm originally from Brazil and visit often so I'm pretty familiar with pick pocketers and scammers.
In Paris we are staying in the 10th arr. Enclos-St-Laurent and in Rome we are staying at a hotel called Imperium Suite Navona. If anyone has recomendations of good restaurants and bars in either place we'd greatly appreciate it.
Lastly, I am enternally greatful for any advice you can give us on our trip.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:27 PM

796 posts, read 1,162,438 times
Both cities are beautiful and amazing. Rich in history and culture!

There are sightseeing buses, I recommend you take one. Buy travel books.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLess View Post
Both cities are beautiful and amazing. Rich in history and culture!

There are sightseeing buses, I recommend you take one. Buy travel books.
I know all of that. I was asking if anyone had specific recomendations based on their experiences.
I have a travel book, we are likely to take a sightseeing bus but none of that gives me specifics based on experience.

If someone else can respond with specifics I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Speand some time exploring Trastevere across the river from your hotel in the Piazza Navona. "Mani in Pasta" on the Via Genovese is wonderful, also in Trastevere. Sme of the shopping these days (for basic things like scarves, cards, snacks) are around the SantaMaria Trastevere Church...the streets around the Pantheon and Campo d Fiore. If you rae visting the Coloseum, visit the Forum and Palatino first...the ticket you buy will get you into the Colosseo as well and will save you time standing in line. The best we like for gelato is on Tiber River Island...access from across the Synagogue on the . Also, spend time going up to Gianicolo. The ATAC (tansport) is excellent. The number 23 bus and 150 are two of the most versatile for site seeing. The ATAC website is excellect for helping to plan trips from one site to another... The only place I ever feel unsafe in Rome is immediately around the main rail station, but overall, it's not like the US...1.3 murders per 100,000 people vs. a place like Omaha, NE with 9.7 murders per 100,000! Of course, be thoughtful but don't panic...Rome is a big city. Enjoy....

Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,877,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Hi All,

My husband and I are finally going on our honeymoon (6 months after our wedding ). Everything is booked and set to go. My questions are, since we don't have too much time in either place what are the main things you recomend us seeing.
This is our first time traveling to either place.
We are both 27 and like art, history, shopping, bars, etc...all which I know are in abundance at both places.
Also, is there any area in either city we should avoid or that is unsafe? I know to keep my eyes open and have a little street smarts. I'm originally from Brazil and visit often so I'm pretty familiar with pick pocketers and scammers.
In Paris we are staying in the 10th arr. Enclos-St-Laurent and in Rome we are staying at a hotel called Imperium Suite Navona. If anyone has recomendations of good restaurants and bars in either place we'd greatly appreciate it.
Lastly, I am enternally greatful for any advice you can give us on our trip.
Thanks!
We went on the same trip for our honeymoon last year. I think the recommendation of the sight seeing bus is probably the best advice you are going to get for short stays (not sure why you dismissed it) In Paris the bus stops at Notre Dame, Louvre, Gallery Lafyette( high end shopping), Eiffel Tower, Champs Ellysee (lower end shopping), opera house, you can stop at any of these sites and get back on within 20 mins to an hour for the next bus. In Rome, you can visit the Forum, the Vatican, Spanish Steps (shopping area), Trevi fountain all via the sightseeing bus as well..again this is the best option for short visits where time is an issue and you need to see the key things

Old 05-02-2013, 01:58 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,144 times
The 10th Arrondissement is not the most salubrious part of Paris (but it's where we stay because there are good value hotels, and handy public transport). Some say it's not very safe there, but we've never had any trouble - just use normal street-smarts. You'll be close to Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur - depending on exactly where you're staying, it will probably be an easy walk away.

Check out Le Marais area - especially for a romantic honeymoon-type dinner - lots of very authentic and non-touristy restaurants there. Lots to see and do there too and a good insight into medieval Paris. A Paris Guide: The Marais

If the weather's nice, the Luxembourg Gardens are beautiful to wander through, and there's at least one cafe/lunch venue inside the park if you're hungry!

We've been to Paris a number of times - our usual procedure is just to wander wherever we feel like, checking out the sights as we come across them, hopping on a bus or the metro when we're tired of walking and stopping for coffee or red wine in pavement cafes approximately every hour.

When you arrive in Rome, get yourselves a 3-day bus pass (we bought ours in a kiosk in the railway station but I think they're available at many places). It'll save a lot of messing about. Bear in mind that many (most?) museums etc. in Rome are closed on Mondays.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Speand some time exploring Trastevere across the river from your hotel in the Piazza Navona. "Mani in Pasta" on the Via Genovese is wonderful, also in Trastevere. Sme of the shopping these days (for basic things like scarves, cards, snacks) are around the SantaMaria Trastevere Church...and the streets around the Pantheon and Campo d Fiore. If you rae visting the Coloseum, visit the Forum and Palatino first...the ticket you buy will get you into the Colosseo as well and will save you time standing in line. The best we like for gelato is on Tiber River Island...access from across the Synagogue on the . Also, spend time going up to Gianicolo. The ATAC (tansport) is excellent. The number 23 bus and 150 are two of the most versatile for site seeing. The ATAC website is excellect for helping to plan trips from one site to another... The only place I ever feel unsafe in Rome is immediately around the main rail station, but overall, it's not like the US...1.3 murders per 100,000 people vs. a place like Omaha, NE with 9.7 murders per 100,000! Of course, be thoughtful but don't panic...Rome is a big city. Enjoy....
Thank you so much. This is very helpful. Is it pretty walkable? My husband and I both love to walk alot!

Thanks again for your help.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrensmooth View Post
We went on the same trip for our honeymoon last year. I think the recommendation of the sight seeing bus is probably the best advice you are going to get for short stays (not sure why you dismissed it) In Paris the bus stops at Notre Dame, Louvre, Gallery Lafyette( high end shopping), Eiffel Tower, Champs Ellysee (lower end shopping), opera house, you can stop at any of these sites and get back on within 20 mins to an hour for the next bus. In Rome, you can visit the Forum, the Vatican, Spanish Steps (shopping area), Trevi fountain all via the sightseeing bus as well..again this is the best option for short visits where time is an issue and you need to see the key things

Thank you. I wasn't trying to dismiss the bus advice. Do you have any specific sightseeing bus companies in Rome you recomended? I was googling some but I only found one and it had bad reviews. Do you know if I can buy tickets in advance?
Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone had specific places they loved and recommended.
The advice of the bus is great but I just wanted more detailed other than take a bus, buy a book, etc...

Thanks again.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
The 10th Arrondissement is not the most salubrious part of Paris (but it's where we stay because there are good value hotels, and handy public transport). Some say it's not very safe there, but we've never had any trouble - just use normal street-smarts. You'll be close to Montmartre and the Sacre Coeur - depending on exactly where you're staying, it will probably be an easy walk away.

Check out Le Marais area - especially for a romantic honeymoon-type dinner - lots of very authentic and non-touristy restaurants there. Lots to see and do there too and a good insight into medieval Paris. A Paris Guide: The Marais

If the weather's nice, the Luxembourg Gardens are beautiful to wander through, and there's at least one cafe/lunch venue inside the park if you're hungry!

We've been to Paris a number of times - our usual procedure is just to wander wherever we feel like, checking out the sights as we come across them, hopping on a bus or the metro when we're tired of walking and stopping for coffee or red wine in pavement cafes approximately every hour.

When you arrive in Rome, get yourselves a 3-day bus pass (we bought ours in a kiosk in the railway station but I think they're available at many places). It'll save a lot of messing about. Bear in mind that many (most?) museums etc. in Rome are closed on Mondays.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Kobber, from what I looked on the map it looks like our hotel borders the 2nd and 3rd arr. It was great price.
We'll be in Paris from Sun-Tues and in Rome from Wed-Fri so I think we should be ok on the museums in Rome.
Thank you for the great advice.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,214,794 times
If you're in Paris on a Friday night then try to be near the Seine @ Boulevard St. Michel...

Be sure to check locally for event details, it's been a while since I was there.

Should the topic be of interest to you, visit the Paris Catacombs...

http://www.catacombes.paris.fr/
14th Arr., Metro Gare RER Denfert-Rochereau
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe