Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does fast growing Muslim population worry you?
yes 115 67.25%
no 56 32.75%
Voters: 171. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 12:56 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,265,884 times

Advertisements

In most western European countries muslims are now the fastest growing religion just behind "no religion". Does this fact worry you? Do you think some European countries could become majority muslim in the future, have sharia law etc?

Current muslim population in Europe by country as percentage:

UK - 4.8% (London 12%)
Germany - 5.4% (Berlin 8.5%)
Netherlands - 6% (Amsterdam 15-20%)
Belgium - 6% (Brussels 25.5%)
Austria - 6%
Denmark - 3.7%
Norway - 3.7%
Sweden - 5% (Malmo 25%)
Italy - 2.6%
Spain - 2.3%
Greece - 4.7%
France - 7.5% (Marsellie 25%, Paris metro area 15%)

In some countries muslims are still a tiny minority:

Ireland - 0.9%
Finland -0.8%
Poland - 0.1%
Czech Republic - 0.1%

Its almost certain that France, Belgium and Austria will have muslim population over 10% by 2030 and other countries not far behind with UK at 8.5% in 2030 and Netherlands at 9%

Old 06-06-2013, 01:59 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,574,917 times
I don't care.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,322,791 times
Those are still tiny numbers.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Couldn't care less, if someone is Catholic or Muslim. Personally, I prefer well integrated Iranians over Polish Catholics that can't speak a word of German.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM

2,825 posts, read 5,262,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
In most western European countries muslims are now the fastest growing religion just behind "no religion". Does this fact worry you? Do you think some European countries could become majority muslim in the future, have sharia law etc?

Current muslim population in Europe by country as percentage:

UK - 4.8% (London 12%)
Germany - 5.4% (Berlin 8.5%)
Netherlands - 6% (Amsterdam 15-20%)
Belgium - 6% (Brussels 25.5%)
Austria - 6%
Denmark - 3.7%
Norway - 3.7%
Sweden - 5% (Malmo 25%)
Italy - 2.6%
Spain - 2.3%
Greece - 4.7%
France - 7.5% (Marsellie 25%, Paris metro area 15%)

In some countries muslims are still a tiny minority:

Ireland - 0.9%
Finland -0.8%
Poland - 0.1%
Czech Republic - 0.1%

Its almost certain that France, Belgium and Austria will have muslim population over 10% by 2030 and other countries not far behind with UK at 8.5% in 2030 and Netherlands at 9%
For what I always heard it was said that France already had 10% "muslim" population (actually people of peronal backgounds from a country of majoritary "muslim" culture) for a long time. This doesn't appear to be really growing that much. Because what we don't have to forget is that when we give those numbers we speak about people of personal background from a muslim country, whatever the person is practicing or not the islamic religion. Enquiries usually tell that most of those "muslims" are not much practicing any religion, actually not more than the so-called "native" population is practicing chritianity. I used at university to have a few friends with origins (parents or grandparents from Maghreb), who would probably be counted as "muslims" in those enquiries, but who actually were msotly non practicing or even hard-lined atheist for one of them. In that case it is strange to lump them in "muslim" group (alongside with people very religious or even crazy extremists), just because a geographical origin of the family...

What is frightening is not those numbers of people with origins from a muslim country, but the fact that there are mong them lost young people (not always of muslim backgound by the way) in some lost suburbs who are turned into islamic political fanatism. This is scary.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Couldn't care less, if someone is Catholic or Muslim. Personally, I prefer well integrated Iranians over Polish Catholics that can't speak a word of German.
id rather have pakistanis over austrians too

Old 06-06-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by french user View Post
For what I always heard it was said that France already had 10% "muslim" population (actually people of peronal backgounds from a country of majoritary "muslim" culture) for a long time. This doesn't appear to be really growing that much. Because what we don't have to forget is that when we give those numbers we speak about people of personal background from a muslim country, whatever the person is practicing or not the islamic religion. Enquiries usually tell that most of those "muslims" are not much practicing any religion, actually not more than the so-called "native" population is practicing chritianity. I used at university to have a few friends with origins (parents or grandparents from Maghreb), who would probably be counted as "muslims" in those enquiries, but who actually were msotly non practicing or even hard-lined atheist for one of them. In that case it is strange to lump them in "muslim" group (alongside with people very religious or even crazy extremists), just because a geographical origin of the family...

What is frightening is not those numbers of people with origins from a muslim country, but the fact that there are mong them lost young people (not always of muslim backgound by the way) in some lost suburbs who are turned into islamic political fanatism. This is scary.
that might be true for France as France does not ask about race or religion on their national census, which I think is ridicilous. No one knows how many muslims are in France because of that. as for other countries, especially UK the percantage of muslims is accurate, because thats how many people ticked "muslim" on UK 2011 census

Old 06-06-2013, 04:50 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,342,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
id rather have pakistanis over austrians too
Oh, thanks for the random bash. I feel flattered. If you haven't figured it out by now: I don't give a **** where someone is from (whether it's Poland, Iran, Pakistan, ...) or which religion he belongs to as long as they try to get a job and somehow fit into society.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:08 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,286,674 times
yes , I don't believe islam is compatible with western liberal democracy , islam informs every aspect of a muslims life , it is meant to

Old 06-06-2013, 09:57 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,563,381 times
Is a danger, because when muslims become majority they behave as masters, because their religion presents non-muslims inferior and enemies of allah and they consider their duty not to give equal rights to 'infidels'. Also, while most muslims are peaceful, there always will be a violent minority. Look at any muslim country, very few are peaceful and almost no one democratic and the religious minorities are usually persecuted either by government or population or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe