Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 08:02 PM

255 posts, read 927,278 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
not much of a difference

estonia is tiny and the population is tiny too, cost of living isnt any higher than latvia
You are incredibly wrong.

The cost of living in Estonia is of Nordic levels.
Latvia it's of East-European levels.

You may pay €2.00 more for something as little as bread in Estonia. Population is but a number, the income and social structure influence CoL.

Cost of Living in Estonia. Prices in Estonia.

Cost of Living in Latvia. Prices in Latvia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 10:49 PM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
thanks for those links on prices.

Doesn't seem too different, rent and pay a bit higher in Estonia but food and public transport a little cheaper, plus better salary.

So I guess it's down to which is the 'nicer' place, and I'm going for the Nordic feel for sure.

and 235Euro for apt outside of centre is cheap enough, would likely pay double that in Sweden I reckon.

I guess I'll have to visit both places for real and just suss it out, cheers.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:32 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,268,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FightForFreedom View Post
You are incredibly wrong.

The cost of living in Estonia is of Nordic levels.
Latvia it's of East-European levels.

You may pay €2.00 more for something as little as bread in Estonia. Population is but a number, the income and social structure influence CoL.

Cost of Living in Estonia. Prices in Estonia.

Cost of Living in Latvia. Prices in Latvia.
according to your link bread costs 65cents in Estonia.

estonia is no on nordic levels, please get real.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:22 AM

255 posts, read 927,278 times
Quote:
according to your link bread costs 65cents in Estonia.

estonia is no on nordic levels, please get real.
I said closer to -- clearly not everything there is of Nordic levels. But some things are -- Utilities in Estonia cost as much as in Norway, for example.

Anyway, to the OP -- Estonia's prices in Tallinn are likely to be slightly higher, elsewhere it's probably the same price if not cheaper. Where do you plan to go in these countries? Capital city?

I love Estonia so much because it feels so much like a Nordic nation. Personally in my opinion it will be a high income country later on, but for now that's what we got for Estonia.

I've been to Tallinn, it was stunning -- plus you can pretty easily do both Helsinki and Tallinn in a day if you want. They in ferry service which is moderately priced and convenient. The olde town is one of the best Europe has to offer, in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2013, 11:12 PM

yes, I'm hoping to spend 6 months in Talinn or Riga, but Talin seems to be more likely.

is it very touristy, because that could be a drag?

Old 06-11-2013, 11:40 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,345,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
yes, I'm hoping to spend 6 months in Talinn or Riga, but Talin seems to be more likely.

is it very touristy, because that could be a drag?
The historic centre is pretty touristy and crowded in summers. I doubt that tourists usually visit the rest of the city, though.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM

are the girls there especially hot?

I hope so, yum!

Old 07-25-2013, 05:07 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
Quote:
to be honest i cant tell the difference between latvia and lithuania.
Estonia visually also is very similar but their language is different, very closely related to Finnish.
To say "very closely related" is big exaggeration, the languages are just related, it is like Danish is related to German and not more.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:02 AM

1,759 posts, read 1,879,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anhityk View Post
To say "very closely related" is big exaggeration, the languages are just related, it is like Danish is related to German and not more.
Is it your personal mission here to discredit any similarities between Finland and Estonia? I've seen several hateful posts from you about how Estonians are Slavic and have nothing in common with Finns. Some spiteful Finns have been known to act like this before. A thousand years ago Finns and Estonians were different tribes of the same people. Try to deny all you like, it doesn't change the facts.

Estonian and Finnish are nearly mutually intelligible. Estonian is also more similar to Sami languages than Finnish is.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:31 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,386,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiromant View Post
Is it your personal mission here to discredit any similarities between Finland and Estonia? I've seen several hateful posts from you about how Estonians are Slavic and have nothing in common with Finns. Some spiteful Finns have been known to act like this before.

Estonian and Finnish are nearly mutually intelligible. Estonian is also more similar to Sami languages than Finnish is.
I don't think I have any special mission here also, I haven't told here that Estonians are Slavs. I just like the truth and I want objectively describe the similarities and differences between Estonian and Finnish languages which certainly exist. How can depend it on anyone's personal attitude towards a language? Both Estonian and Finnish languages are nice and similar to each other but thing is that Estonian and Finnish are not mutually intelligible. But eg Norwegian and and Swedish are. Being "nearly mutually intelligible" can be said also if we compare for example Norwegian and German. Once I was together with a German guy who found Norwegian "very easy to learn". Finnish language from Estonian point of view can be described with words "very easy to learn" but not mutually intelligible. Finns in turn find Estonian language to be less understandable than Estonians find Finnish. However, Estonians can read a Finnish newspaper only if they have learned some Finnish before it.

Quote:
A thousand years ago Finns and Estonians were different tribes of the same
people. Try to deny all you like, it doesn't change the facts.
How eg were their DNA-s thousands years ago would be interesting to know. The fact is that now they are quite a different from genetics point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe