Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 12:36 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,916 times

Advertisements

So I was looking for some input on a short, but enjoyable trip with my husband and two teens (16&17) to either Paris or Rome in the middle of October. I love visiting both cities, but think the weather may be more enjoyable in Rome. But, ahhh Paris. Beautiful no matter the weather. My children have not been to either before, and are looking forward to the trip regardless of which place we choose. Any input would be appreciated. Also, I know 3 days just scratches the surface of either place, but it's all the time we have available right now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 01:08 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
I'd go to Rome, (and have when given the choice). Whatever place you choose, do your homework first and determine what you want to see. Yes, three days isn't very much time to see all of what you would want to see and experience. If going to Rome, but sure to get out at night. It's a different city after dark. The tourist go back to their hotels for their fancy dinners or shows. The vendors who cater to tourists go home and the locals come out and re-claim their city.

Unlike here, when we are finished with a building and we tear it down so we can build something else, in Rome, they are proud of their heritage. They have floodlights illuminating all their old ruins. Rome is a magical place, day or night.

Last time there, I rented a bicycle to get around. I'm totally convinced that it is the best way to get from place to place.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,349,096 times
Well, there are hardly any infos on what you are actually looking for. Hard to recommend something.

My advice: Get a good guidebook, check out wikitravel.org, buy/borrow the Guide Michelin for both countries/cities and watch the respective episodes of Anthony Bourdain's "No reservations".

Both cities would be fine for me. My priority list would be (1) Do I know someone in the city? (2) How's the food? (3) Overall atmosphere, including architecture, people ... (4) Nightlife? (5) Museums, sights to actually visit.

You see, I don't really care about fancy museums. The Louvre? Nah, people only rush to Mona Lisa anyway. It's way better to have a nice afternoon walk or coffee in a nice neighborhood. The Eiffel Tower? Impressive, but why the hell should I actually go up there (well, I have done that. But it's way better to see it at night while sharing a bottle of wine with friends along the Seine). I would be able to have a blast in both cities

Edit: Oh, and I forgot http://unlike.net/paris

Last edited by viribusunitis; 09-09-2013 at 01:27 PM..

Old 09-09-2013, 02:10 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,351,267 times
Paris.

There is no bad weather, only bad clothes.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Thank you for your replies. It's a hard decision, as they're both fabulous cities. I am leaning towards Rome, due to the walkability, close proximity of sites. And gelato. True about bad weather vs bad clothes BigSwede, will make sure I only wear my dark, haute couture clothing

Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM

449 posts, read 641,366 times
Only haute couture de chez Gauthier

Visit both places if you can, i know it's a bit short but if you can't visit both so choose Paris !

Old 09-09-2013, 08:19 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,539,940 times
I elect Rome. Howcome people don't bring up Rome on this forum more often? I just realized that it seems few and far between for such a popular city.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,491 times
Rome would be an easy choice for me, although it would be tempting to stay longer than 3 days.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:34 PM

We would love to stay longer, but the kids are back in school, work schedules, etc. This summer seemed to fly by, and we had many out of town guests coming to visit, we just didn't fit in a proper holiday. My daughter spent 2 weeks in Berlin and they both spent a week in Mexico with Grandparents. I am needing a little getaway, and Europe is beckoning! I guess we'll ultimately flip a coin and go with it, besides, spontaneity is the best way to travel, in my humble opinion...
Anyone have reasonable hotel ideas? We need 2 rooms that won't break the bank!!!

Old 09-09-2013, 11:54 PM

6,358 posts, read 7,778,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Anyone have reasonable hotel ideas? We need 2 rooms that won't break the bank!!!
tripadvisor.com is your friend.

Last visit to Roma, I stayed at Hotel Julia. Pretty close to Barbarini's Fountain and about two/three blocks from Trevi. It was pretty inexpensive by Roman standards, but the breakfast was good. I didn't go to Rome to spend time in a hotel room. I just went to the hotel to shower and sleep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe