Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 AM

3 posts, read 4,913 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 05:39 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Deutsche über Russen ? Bild von Russland in Deutschland - RusslandJournal.de

http://www.petersburger-dialog.de/fi...n%20180908.pdf

Umfragen : Wie Deutsche und Russen sich gegenseitig sehen - Nachrichten Reise - DIE WELT

The last link is probably the most compact article. Grab your translator and translate away.

But who wouldn't love dictator Putin.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:33 AM

3 posts, read 4,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post

I was actually talking to Germans, not to some american expats...I've got a whole lot of German friends myself and all of them view Russia and Russians quite positively, but I would like to have a few more opinions that are free from stereotypes and prejudices. Pure curiosity.

"But who wouldn't love dictator Putin." --that's ridiculous.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:55 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,487,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IgorTheRussian View Post
I was actually talking to Germans, not to some american expats...I've got a whole lot of German friends myself and all of them view Russia and Russians quite positively, but I would like to have a few more opinions that are free from stereotypes and prejudices. Pure curiosity.

"But who wouldn't love dictator Putin." --that's ridiculous.
How many Germans you think you can find on here? And, if you have "a whole lot of German friends", what are another 1-2 opinions gonna do ? So you'll probably have to look at the links I posted above if you want to know what the general population thinks.

If Putin isn't a dictator, then Hitler wasn't one, either.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:37 AM

520 posts, read 1,515,204 times
I'm German and I haven't been to Russia, so i can only judge "them" by their emigrants, expats and tourists here. I generally feel positive about Russians. I don't associate them with WW2, Communism or the Cold War but rather with their old culture and the "new" stereotypes like being either ultra-rich or ultra-poor or being bad-behaving after having too much wodka.

Berlin has a very large Russian community, many people from all over the former Soviet Union came and still come here.
There are some bad-behaving lower-class Russians here (most of them are not "real" Russians though but turn out to be Russian-speaking ethnic Germans from Kazakhstan or Ukrainian/Caucasian thugs etc.) living in rough housing projects/commie blocks and furthermore arrogant wives of new-money "oligarchs" are a common sight at several upscale shopping areas, but the "average" Russian person is rather down-to-earth, honest and hospitable. Ironically, many Russians I know personally are of Jewish, Ukrainian, Kazakh German or even Baltic origin which is weird because they feel and consider themselves "Russian" here in their communities, but probably aren't perceived as those back in Russia despite being Russian-speaking.

The Russian tourists here are mostly average and decent middle-class people which don't appear too be much different from the local population (IMO). In contrast ot Americans, Britons and Spaniards, they tend to prefer more classy tourist sights (like Prussian museums or mansions) and aren't that into all the Berlin "hipster" stuff.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight besides the obvious stereotypes.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:11 PM

26,788 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brabham12 View Post
I'm German and I haven't been to Russia, so i can only judge "them" by their emigrants, expats and tourists here. I generally feel positive about Russians. I don't associate them with WW2, Communism or the Cold War but rather with their old culture and the "new" stereotypes like being either ultra-rich or ultra-poor or being bad-behaving after having too much wodka.

Berlin has a very large Russian community, many people from all over the former Soviet Union came and still come here.
There are some bad-behaving lower-class Russians here (most of them are not "real" Russians though but turn out to be Russian-speaking ethnic Germans from Kazakhstan or Ukrainian/Caucasian thugs etc.) living in rough housing projects/commie blocks and furthermore arrogant wives of new-money "oligarchs" are a common sight at several upscale shopping areas, but the "average" Russian person is rather down-to-earth, honest and hospitable. Ironically, many Russians I know personally are of Jewish, Ukrainian, Kazakh German or even Baltic origin which is weird because they feel and consider themselves "Russian" here in their communities, but probably aren't perceived as those back in Russia despite being Russian-speaking.

The Russian tourists here are mostly average and decent middle-class people which don't appear too be much different from the local population (IMO). In contrast ot Americans, Britons and Spaniards, they tend to prefer more classy tourist sights (like Prussian museums or mansions) and aren't that into all the Berlin "hipster" stuff.

Hope that gives you a bit of insight besides the obvious stereotypes.
Heh, I always suspected that if anyone was "figuring out" Russians correctly, reading the "fine print" and noticing the details, that would be Germans first of all.
I've made my own observations in this respect back in Soviet times, while observing Germans in Moscow.
They were basically of two kinds; one - very cold, distant and contemptuous ( but that was relatively a small crowd,) and the other kind, who seemed to not to have enough of Russia and Russians. Those were definitely in majority; they were learning to read Russians fast - the difference between "Soviet zombies," and "normal people," the class difference, and what they could and couldn't do under the circumstances, according to unspoken rules. ( I'm talking the Soviet times here.)
On another hand, out of curiosity I've asked once the average Russians, who never saw foreigners in their lives - "what's you opinion of different nations; which ones you like the most and which ones you dislike the most?"
They've practically all placed the French at the first place as the most likable people ( explanation the most often heard was the "historic cultural ties between France and Russia back in Tzarist times, everything refined - manners-paintings-music" - things like that. Don't remember who\what was in the middle, but practically each and every one of them said that they've disliked Germans the most.
Why? "The WWII; cold, calculating people."
However when I've asked the same question Russians who dealt with foreigners - those burly Russian guys, whose grandparents were still probably living in villages around Moscow before - the drivers, the waiters - they've all looked at me like I fell off the Moon. "Duh, Germans of course - we like them the most. Why? "They are straightforward, easy to understand, there is a good rapport, and they are very generous when they tip."
Don't remember again who/what was at the second spot again, but they disliked the French the most; "snobs and lousy tippers" they've said ( sorry French posters; those were not my words, but theirs)))))

Last edited by erasure; 01-05-2014 at 01:10 PM..

Old 01-06-2014, 04:33 PM

11 posts, read 14,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
How many Germans you think you can find on here?
an other one...

Old 01-08-2014, 02:00 PM

Location: Winter nightime low 60,summer daytime high 85, sunny 300 days/year, no hablamos ingles aquí
700 posts, read 1,500,212 times
What about the World War 2. Do people in Russia and Germany know\care\remember what they have done to each other at that time?
Any conclusions\lessons for the future?

Old 01-08-2014, 02:03 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,813,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
What about the World War 2. Do people in Russia and Germany know\care\remember what they have done to each other at that time?
No, they don't.

Old 01-08-2014, 02:16 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiffrace View Post
Survivors of that time who are still alive do remember, and some do care. I once got hassled by a Russian just because I have a German name (he knew I was American). Some Germans and Russians are capable of ranting endlessly about the atrocities that were inflicted by the other side in WW2. But those are a small part of the population, now. Life has moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe