Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 07:15 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,842,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Why not? I won't be staying in the city center my entire stay. I will go out of the city and do some sight seeing and go to other towns.

I was told 4 cities was to much for 2 weeks and now 3 cities is to much? Yes they aren't close together but neither train ride is very long except to Munich from Amsterdam but we're staying a week there.
I guess I feel that Bavaria has a LOT more to see than Amsterdam and its surroundings. But suit yourself. Let us know how it all worked out and what you liked best when you get back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,519,497 times
Quote:
Why not? I won't be staying in the city center my entire stay. I will go out of the city and do some sight seeing and go to other towns.

I was told 4 cities was to much for 2 weeks and now 3 cities is to much? Yes they aren't close together but neither train ride is very long except to Munich from Amsterdam but we're staying a week there.
I think Amsterdam is a great city, and 3 cities is appropriate for 2 weeks. I think your itinerary is reasonable. I would suggest, though, that you look at flights to cut down on train travel time. I wouldn't be surprised if flights are cheaper than international train rides, as well.

Old 01-27-2014, 07:14 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,852,576 times
Quote:
It's full of history, museums, canals, great architecture with plenty to do. It has more to offer than most European cities. But again, I've answered that same question before so please anyone else, stop asking why or suggesting I leave it off. I'm not guaranteed to ever come again and we've always wanted to go.

Definitively a YES, because this might be just a *once in a lifetime chance* !!
Plenty to see, *IN* Amsterdam, and also in many surrounding areas.

Is it possible for an American to rent a scooter in Amsterdam? Please just a yes or no without an opinion on why I shouldn't if I can.
I know you can rent scooters (late model Vespa) in Amsterdam, but I am not sure if you need a corresponding license (Motorcycle rated).
Call this number -- 800-208-4421, and find out what is needed from your end.
It takes a bit of getting used to the traffic there, but it is very interesting to learn !!!
Make sure you find out if they are authorised on all *Dutch Highway system* !!!
You DO need an International License, so get one !!!
http://netherlands.angloinfo.com/transport/driving/
Keep in mind, Bicycles have the right of way !!!!!
You MUST wear a crash helmet !

look at these clips
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JwAVSNXfvI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_g-s6qLQ8

If you can stand the hype -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxAi4Axv_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRiJl98wApU
At the end of this clip, watch some more clips about Amsterdam.

The road use system is a give and take system. You *give* more, then you would *take*.
What European drivers can not stand is people hesitating in traffic.
When you need to change lanes, turn on your blinker, look back and slowly start to move in the direction of your blinker ...
Important !!! Do the same for a driver in front of you who wants to change lanes.
Do not speed up, but give that driver the courtesy you like to receive !!
Do not hesitate for ever like so many in the USA !
Just be careful and have fun !
Read up a bit on traffic rules in Holland.

Last but not least, remember that Holland is the most expensive place to eat in restaurants,
http://www.dutchdailynews.com/the-ne...pe-to-eat-out/
so you need to learn to buy your daily foods in grocery stores (you can find them anywhere) and then eat picnic style !
I am NOT a USA Tourist !! I grew up in Holland and have lived and worked in Holland, Sweden, Germany (I lived and worked in Bayern for 8 years, so I do know the area around Muenchen rather well !!) and Switzerland for many years. Today I enjoy retired life as a recreational pilot in Utah !

Offer:
I have very good friends around Amsterdam, and I can ask them to suggest a motorcycle trip around Amsterdam, if you are interested. I have done some motorcycle riding there, but it was over 30 years ago !

Last edited by irman; 01-27-2014 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I guess I feel that Bavaria has a LOT more to see than Amsterdam and its surroundings. But suit yourself. Let us know how it all worked out and what you liked best when you get back.
This is a very personal opinion, since comparing these two areas is like comparing apples to roast beef.
Both are foods and both will nourish you to some extent, but every single item is different.
And just like the comment above, I do not prefer roast beef ... (I like real Asian style shiskebabs !)
Give me a good tasting apple anytime.

Amsterdam is Amsterdam (forget about the red light district please !!! -- took the wife thru a red light district *not Amsterdam* during the *off hours* --- Her comment *Why are there so many small furniture stores there ?*).
The Munich area is the Munich area, something way different !

I've lived and worked in both areas, and I like them equally well.

To the OP: You have a source (accommodation and probably transportation -- very few people do not have a car there !!!) around Muenchen, so they will know where to go !

Last edited by irman; 01-27-2014 at 08:44 PM..

Old 01-27-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
It takes a bit of getting used to the traffic there, but it is very interesting to learn !!!
Go here for the rules in English:
http://www.government.nl/files/docum...an-2013-uk.pdf

Old 01-28-2014, 04:32 PM

OK, so this is the way it will be. A few days in Amsterdam,

Read up on the following links:
- Amsterdam Destination Guide | Viator.com
- Search
- Visitor information centres l I amsterdam
(click on [Where to stay] and choose according to your budget)
If you are sure of the dates, then make your reservations early !!!

Keukenhof (tulips galore ...)
FROM MARCH 20, 2014 UNTIL MAY 18, 2014 KEUKENHOF WILL BE OPEN DAILY OPENING HOURS: 8H00 - 19H30 (ticket office closes at 18H00)
So if you are there, after the closing date ...
If on time, you will spend one whole day there ...

I suggest to visit the VVV right when you get out of the plane, and get directions on what to see in Amsterdam, within walking distance of where you will be staying.
Where to stay, I suggest around the Museum Quarter. Just mention this to the person helping at the VVV. From there you can walk to almost everything. Do not stay in Amsterdam south !!!! unless you do not care about the cement block buildings ...

To get around Amsterdam, on foot and by public transportation,
If you have a smart phone?
- https://www.ov-chipkaart.nl/?taal=en

If you insist on renting a car, there is this concept in Amsterdam:
https://www.greenwheels.com/nl-en/Home/Private/Home

Everybody takes on of these canal trips. Inquire at the VVV about the hop-on hop-off ones.
http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterda...25-2544CANAL04

Now for your Motor-scooter trip:
rent one from :
Amsterdam Scooter Rentals - See Venice of the North with a multi-day rental
Then take this round trip:
Amsterdam-Centrum ; Amsterdam-North ; Broek in Waterland (really pretty area) ; Monnikendam ; Volendam ; then west towards Alkmaar ; a few km before turn south towards Wormerveer ; then Koog aan de Zaan ; Zaandam ; and back to Amsterdam.
Or a bit shorter -- from Volendam to Purmerend and then to Koog aan de zaan and then again via the route above.
I gave you the phone number so talk to them.

Google each town I mentioned !

I think you now have enough to fill your days in Amsterdam !
Haff Phun !!!

Something you MUST do In Amsterdam !!!
Go to a coffee-shop and ask for *Koffie Verkeerd*
(That is not a weed !!!)
It is a cup of coffee with more milk then coffee !
Only in Amsterdam !!!

P.S.
If you insist on visiting the Red Light District ---
DO NOT take PICS !!!
There are big guys ready to grab your camera and throw it in the canal !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Going to Europe in April or May, YEAH!!!!!!!!!! (long read)-amsterdamscootertrip.jpg  

Last edited by irman; 01-28-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2014, 05:35 PM

219 posts, read 436,102 times
Amsterdam's cool, especially for those into chilling with the club scene or taking some bike rides around the canals and checking out a couple of museums, but imho, you don't need more than 3 days to cover that. Holland's kinda boring outside of Amsterdam. But to each his own. IMO it doesn't compare with Venice or the German/Swiss/Italian alps. But, whatever, man.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:58 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Okay, this is what we plan on doing now that vacation days are approved for both of us. Decided to just skip Rome and fly into Amsterdam and fly back home out of Munich. We're buying the tickets and hotels tonight. The train tickets we'll get 1 month out as it won't let you this far in advance.

17 days of vacation days which includes traveling so we'll lose one day going there due to time zones changes and 10hr flight.

Amsterdam 4 nights
Dusseldorf/Munich/Germany in general 7 nights
Venice 4 nights

This lets us enjoy each place to have plenty of time to check out the small towns to sight see.
Why so much time in Germany? I would switch some of that to Italy.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
I'd get OUT of the big cities and into the countryside as much as possible. Personally, I would rent a car (I've done this over and over again on multiple trips to Europe and it's just not difficult to drive in Europe, plus you have total freedom to explore).

If you're going to be in the Munich area, I'd definitely give Dachau a look - it's just outside of Munich. I'd also spend a day in Berchtesgaden, see Hitler's Eagles Nest, that sort of thing. I'd also definitely take in King Ludwig's fabulous Neuschwanstein, and also work in Salzburg and the Salt Mines if at all possible. But you'd have to probably do four days in Germany to do all that.

I take it you're flying into Amsterdam? Have you considered renting a car and driving down to Munich? I've done this many times but that may eat up some of your touristy time. Maybe take the train to Munich and then rent a car. At LEAST rent a car while you're in Germany.

Actually I'd shorten my time in Amsterdam and spend more time in Germany. Also, if Ghent, Belgium isn't too far out of your way, I'd check out Ghent - it's not as touristy as some places but it's a gorgeous town with a terrific shopping district, a big castle, a beautiful cathedral, plenty of canals and Dutch architecture - without all the commercial tourist business (and inflated prices to go along with it).

Keep us posted!

Old 01-29-2014, 09:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I TOTALLY agree. I hate to say this but I've been to the Netherlands several times and frankly, I found that country the least appealing of the central European countries. I'd head down to Bavaria as quickly as possible if it were me. Bavarians are very friendly, the scenery is FABULOUS, and the food is delicious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe