Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times

Advertisements

Just remembered something else, for doing something different in Amsterdam.
If you like classical music, then on Wednesdays, you can go to the Concert Gebouw,
they practice/rehearsal and you can attend for free.

It is called Wednesday lunchtime concert.

Last edited by irman; 01-29-2014 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 04:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'd get OUT of the big cities and into the countryside as much as possible. Personally, I would rent a car (I've done this over and over again on multiple trips to Europe and it's just not difficult to drive in Europe, plus you have total freedom to explore).

If you're going to be in the Munich area, I'd definitely give Dachau a look - it's just outside of Munich. I'd also spend a day in Berchtesgaden, see Hitler's Eagles Nest, that sort of thing. I'd also definitely take in King Ludwig's fabulous Neuschwanstein, and also work in Salzburg and the Salt Mines if at all possible. But you'd have to probably do four days in Germany to do all that.

I take it you're flying into Amsterdam? Have you considered renting a car and driving down to Munich? I've done this many times but that may eat up some of your touristy time. Maybe take the train to Munich and then rent a car. At LEAST rent a car while you're in Germany.

Actually I'd shorten my time in Amsterdam and spend more time in Germany. Also, if Ghent, Belgium isn't too far out of your way, I'd check out Ghent - it's not as touristy as some places but it's a gorgeous town with a terrific shopping district, a big castle, a beautiful cathedral, plenty of canals and Dutch architecture - without all the commercial tourist business (and inflated prices to go along with it).

Keep us posted!
YES! to Berchtesgaden! It's not only Hitler's hideout for sightseeing, but the town itself if very nice, plus you can't beat the scenery! On a clear day, you can see into Austria.

Right, Ludwig's castle is on that Romantic Road bus trip I recommended earlier, OP. And if you have time to go to Salzburg (worth a few days, itself--THIS IS WHY WE WERE SUGGESTING YOU SPEND LESS TIME IN AMSTERDAM), the Salt Mines are quite an experience. You go sliding down into the bowels of the earth on very long slides, and there's a whole underground world in there. If you go early in the morning, there won't be long lines to wait through.

OMG, it sounds like Kathryn followed me around on my first trip into the region!

Old 01-29-2014, 05:30 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,619,045 times
Quote:
I'd get OUT of the big cities and into the countryside as much as possible. Personally, I would rent a car (I've done this over and over again on multiple trips to Europe and it's just not difficult to drive in Europe, plus you have total freedom to explore).

If you're going to be in the Munich area, I'd definitely give Dachau a look - it's just outside of Munich. I'd also spend a day in Berchtesgaden, see Hitler's Eagles Nest, that sort of thing. I'd also definitely take in King Ludwig's fabulous Neuschwanstein, and also work in Salzburg and the Salt Mines if at all possible. But you'd have to probably do four days in Germany to do all that.

I take it you're flying into Amsterdam? Have you considered renting a car and driving down to Munich? I've done this many times but that may eat up some of your touristy time. Maybe take the train to Munich and then rent a car. At LEAST rent a car while you're in Germany.

Actually I'd shorten my time in Amsterdam and spend more time in Germany. Also, if Ghent, Belgium isn't too far out of your way, I'd check out Ghent - it's not as touristy as some places but it's a gorgeous town with a terrific shopping district, a big castle, a beautiful cathedral, plenty of canals and Dutch architecture - without all the commercial tourist business (and inflated prices to go along with it).

Keep us posted!
Personally I love Amsterdam and can see why you want to see it. Check out the Anne Frank House and take a canal cruise. I was just there (and in Ghent) in October and loved it.

However, as much as I love Amsterdam, Germany is terrific. Dachau is an amazing experience, Berchtesgarden on a clear day has some simply amazing views and Salzburg in one of the hidden gems of Europe. As far as Munich, an interesting idea is to take the tour at the BMW plant.

I have a different travel idea that might be an option for you. Try an overnight train trip with a sleeper room. You spend a full day in Amsterdam, get a good nights sleep on the train and enjoy a great german breakfast in Munich.

As far as Italy, I would again take the overnight train directly to Rome. There is just too much to see in Rome, even with amazing distractions like Venice and Florence.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:35 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times
OP said they would explore the area around Amsterdam a bit. I think there's enough to keep busy for 4 days. To add to Irman's list, if you have time, you can go to Marken and Haarlem. On the proposed circuit, between Volendam and Wormerveer, you can also stop at De Rijp. Quite picturesque imo, as are a lot of villages along side roads in Netherlands.

Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 PM

825 posts, read 1,035,152 times
Quote:
I TOTALLY agree. I hate to say this but I've been to the Netherlands several times and frankly, I found that country the least appealing of the central European countries. I'd head down to Bavaria as quickly as possible if it were me. Bavarians are very friendly, the scenery is FABULOUS, and the food is delicious.
I can't speak of the Netherlands, but this description of Bavaria is spot on. The beer is pretty outstanding too

Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 PM

Some of you need to respect the wishes of the OP.
This is what they decided on :

Amsterdam 4 nights
Dusseldorf/Munich/Germany in general 7 nights
Venice 4 nights

So, rather then advice of staying somewhere less and somewhere more, how about advice on what to do and see at those places the OP has decided on ?
Personally, I do not really care about Venice, so I have not mentioned anything about that place.
Anybody here know more about the Venice area ?
Where to stay, what to do etc ?

The Munich area, some of you seem to forget that they have family there, so that area is all taken care of !!

Venice is the area they need suggestions for !!!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Okay this is what we're doing

4 nights in Amsterdam here's where we're staying Going to buy groceries and eat in most of the time. Same thing for when we go to Venice. I've also got a moped for the entire stay. Our first day I imagine we won't be doing much due to jet lag.
8 nights in Germany
3 nights in Venice (got a cheaper place from the same site) From Expedia we got the, Small group Full-Day Tour to the Dolomites and Cortina

Going to take a scenic train since we cut a night short in Venice. My cousin who is young tells me the best place to go is Prague so we might go there a night while we're in Germany but don't know yet.

I also have cousins in Dusseldorf(?) area too. So when we leave Amsterdam we'll be stopping there to visit and check out some pubs.

Last edited by piyf; 01-29-2014 at 07:51 PM..

Old 01-29-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
I know that area, you can walk to almost everything.
Haff Phun.

Moped huh ! Read up on the rules for that !
Keep your speed below 45 kmh !
Plenty of special roads for that kind of transportation.

Still thinking of doing a tour north of Amsterdam ?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:00 AM

490 posts, read 682,507 times
I do hope you go to Amsterdam. I love the place & go back as often as possible.
Check out the western canal ring for some of the most beautiful city sights you'll see anywhere.

Here's some examples.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
I know that area, you can walk to almost everything.
Haff Phun.

Moped huh ! Read up on the rules for that !
Keep your speed below 45 kmh !
Plenty of special roads for that kind of transportation.

Still thinking of doing a tour north of Amsterdam ?

I believe I'm going to check out the site you provided and see the rules for mopeds. I hear foreigners must pay tickets on the spot I really hope they're allowed on the roads out of town. If not I may just rent a car for a day or 2 and just walk or ride a bike. Seems like mopeds are strict unlike here.

Yes I plan on going where the sites are out of town. I'm a no scaredy cat. I have plenty of time before we actually go to do some research which I plan on doing soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe