Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 10:45 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,030,342 times

Advertisements

The rules for mopeds is quite confusing unless someone can put it in more layman terms. Renting a 50cc moped, I can drive on bike paths so long as I drive the speed limit? Can I use a road to drive on to get out of town or do bike paths go out of town too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 11:33 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
The rules for mopeds is quite confusing unless someone can put it in more layman terms. Renting a 50cc moped, I can drive on bike paths so long as I drive the speed limit? Can I use a road to drive on to get out of town or do bike paths go out of town too?
The Moped Menace in the Netherlands | BICYCLE DUTCH
Also read all the comments !

Yes, light mopeds share the same paths as bicycles, so be careful !.
If there is NO special bike path, then you share the road with the other traffic.

Look at the picture and remember which sign allows you to ride on that specific pathway.

Did you get the *light* one, or the *heavy* one ?

You wanted the rules to be more simple ...
Which document are you reading?
I can try to simplify

Last edited by irman; 01-30-2014 at 11:49 PM..

Old 01-31-2014, 06:12 PM

Not sure if that thing is categorized as *light*, or *heavy*.
The specs say limited maximum speed of 30 MPH.
That would be 48 KPH, so a bit above the speed limit allowed in Holland (45 KPH).

When you get it, check the colour of the license plate.
It is either yellow or blue. I think yours will be yellow.
Each one has its own rules.
You can drive on certain pathways that have the sign on it that show a bicycle AND a moped on it.
You can NOT drive on a pathway that has only a bicycle on it, or a rectangular sign that says *Fietspad*

Keep your speed below 45 KPH and if there is a pathway that does have both the bicycle AND the moped sign, then you MUST drive on that pathway.

If there is NO special pathway, then you MUST share the road with all other traffic.

You did mention car rental. Parking in Amsterdam for a car is scarce and expensive !!!

When you venture outside Amsterdam, look at the maps, figure out the distance and then you would know if you can make that trip in a day or not on a moped/scooter.
Keep in mind that you might stop often along the way, just to take pics, and picnic. Again, consult with the local VVV office.

If you are into *exploring* Holland, rather then drinking beer and smoking weed and visiting the Red Light District and at night go *clubbing*, then you may find that there is plenty of neat ways to explore Holland, the Dutch way. Take walks, bicycle trips, the musea, a good concert, etc..
Get out of the big city centers, drive around the country, visiting and talking to the locals.
Many of them do speak some English, and will be happy to share their knowledge with you.

In Volendam or Marken, you can dress up in old style Dutch local garb, and have pics taken.
eat some local specialties, only available on the waterfront little towns (Broodje vis).

Old 02-01-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
You can drive on certain pathways that have the sign on it that show a bicycle AND a moped on it.
OOPS
This should be:
You must drive on certain pathways that have the sign on it that show a bicycle AND a moped on it.

Old 02-01-2014, 10:49 AM

That sounds promising then for my moped. Hopefully it's classified as light then.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:58 PM

This is the place I'm getting the moped and from the description it sounds like it's classified as a light.

Scooter rental Amsterdam - Gilex

Quote:
Do you want to take a ride through Amsterdam or go to the beach without being bothered by a traffic jam? Rent a scooter at Gilex! With a Kymco agility or a Kymco Like scooter from Gilex, you are able to go to places where other forms of transportation can’t ‘go as easily. The scooters drive at a safe speed, so you don’t have to wear a helmet and can enjoy the scenery around you. Detailed instructions are not required, everyone can ride the comfortable and trendy scooters from Gilex.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
This is the place I'm getting the moped and from the description it sounds like it's classified as a light. Scooter rental Amsterdam - Gilex
From the video, it looks like all of them have a *BLUE* license plate.
That means it is classified as the *light* moped.

Your MAXIMUM speed is 25 KPH !!!!!
- You can NOT drive on a pathway that is classified as [Fietspad]
Just remember this word. It means [Bicycle Path]
-- You MUST drive (when there is a special pathway) on all pathways that have the round sign, with just a bicycle on it and on the one that have the bicycle AND the moped sign on it.

IF there is NO special pathway, then you MUST drive on the regular and share traffic with all other traffic.

On the special bike way path, you always pass on the left !! NEVER on the right !!!

Just keep in mind that the bicycle drivers in Holland are a bit more used to that kind of traffic then you are.
So just follow the traffic, and do not show off !!! Use your hand signals when making turns !!!
Watch out for the tracks of the street cars !!! Do not get caught in them !
When you park the thingy, lock the bike, and do not leave anything *on it*.
So carry everything in your backpack.
Keep your International Drivers License always with when riding it !
Haff Phun !!!

Old 02-02-2014, 03:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,127 times
Default Europe in two weeks...

Europe is quite a big continent and I always laugh a little bit at Americans trying to see it all in two weeks. Then again, I'm sure Americans laugh at us Europeans who think they can see ALL of the USA in just two weeks ;-)

I guess it's all about what you want to do. How much do you want to see, how much do you want to experience? Are you happy doing just one attraction a day, spending most of your time traveling from one place to the next? Or would you prefer really focusing on a certain area and saving up for the next time?

I could personally spend a week in Paris and still feel like I haven't seen it all (I've been to Paris about 15 times, usually for four days each time, and I still discover new things every time I go). I personally wouldn't like to take a train from Paris to Rome, spending all that time in a train and missing all the beautiful places in between. On the other hand, I can understand that lack of time may just dictate that you can't do things any other way.

However, how about focusing on a specific part of Europe instead? For instance, you mentioned going to Amsterdam, which means you could easily organize a day trip to London, taking coach, train, boat or plane. You can also easily reach Belgium, Luxemburg, Germany and France. In fact, there is even the "Drie Landen Punt" in the Netherlands, which means you can be in three countries at the same time (if you lie down on top of the point lol).

There is simply too much to see and do in Europe to do it all in two weeks. I would recommend researching the continent a bit more online, for instance by using [url=http://www.tripindicator.com]Top Tourist Attractions Worldwide - Day trips for Singles, Couples, Family with Kids- Travel Reviews from tripindicator.com[/url], and deciding which parts really are on your bucket list. Maybe try to just pick three or four things, then you won't feel like you've missed things because you're constantly traveling.

Most importantly, however, have an absolutely amazing time!

Old 02-02-2014, 04:28 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Amsterdam is great and lots to see but is so different from the rest of Holland you really have to get out of the city for at least a day and get a feel for what it is like. I am in Holland often mostly around the Ijsselmeer and really love the little towns.

Brvaria is awesome too, I lived near Munich for a six months but I have never done the tourist things there and don´t even know what they are really but love to spend time around Garmish-Pattenkirchen, Chiemgau, Karwendel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe