Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:42 PM

4,246 posts, read 12,021,657 times

Advertisements

And I have a bunch of questions. First time going to Europe and we're so excited.

I have relatives outside of Munich, so I have a free place to stay for some of my stay which is very nice. My wife and myself plan to go for atleast 14 days and possibly up to 16, which considering the cost of airfare, just isn't long enough for me. But my wife can only take so much time off unfortunately. We are at the very least getting NON STOP both ways which will cost around 2500 total for the both of us. We are going to the Netherlands, Italy and Germany for sure without a doubt. Fly into Amsterdam and start our trip.

I've been researching online but I'll admit that I'm not the brightest and it's pretty confusing on what road to take. So here's my questions for you well traveled travelers.

I would like to see the beauty of Europe which doesn't include by plane. Is there a train to take somewhere in Europe that has breath taking views that is romantic? We love the mountains. Maybe from Italy to Germany or vice versa? Also romantic places to stay and do in Italy.

From Amsterdam is it worth taking a train and stopping at a couple of cities in other countries heading back to Germany? I realize it's just 2 weeks and we may be doing quite a but of running around but we're in our early 30s so we should be fine. I just want to enjoy it so maybe 3 places is good enough, don't know.

When I searched for the fast train I was a little shocked to see for 1 person for a 15 day pass it was 2k US. Does this sound right?

Thinking this

(Fly into) Amsterdam and stay 3 days
Germany stay 4 days
Italy (multiple cities) = 5 days and fly home from here
Rest of days for traveling to these destinations.

If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. We aren't night club type people but do enjoy drinking and playing the typical bar games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
You can easily see all by using trains and taxes (obviously with a careful planning).
There should even be an offer that students often choose called "Interrail" which should grant you much better prices (it's like a sort of booking card valid for the whole EU I think).
Then, Amsterdan is definitely worth being visiting like Koeln or Munich as well (all on your path).
As for breathtaking view and mountain, there's a train in Switzerland which offers all what you look.
Plus, just 150-200km south of Munich, in Italy, there are Dolomites which are among the most beautiful mountains in the world.
Innsbruck and Salzburg are two other cities worthy of mention (Salzburg is quite eastward compared to your path though) as well as Wien.
In Italy, in 5 days and without knowing where you leave from for US I'd say to do a quick visit to these cities which are the most important:
Venice, Florence, Rome above all. None of which can be seen in less than a week but they are worth spending a day.
Then Pisa, Milan, Bologna,Turin.
Romantic places in Italy are countless: I'd suggest you to look for "Borghi" which is the name (singular Borgo, plural Borghi) for the characteristic Medieval cities all across Northern Italy, some of which are really a masterpiece.
If you were coming in Summer/Spring, then Tuscany was a "must" for its landscapes.
I'm excluding the oustanding Southern Italy because I doubt in five days you can even think to see something in the North (where mountains are after all) and then even reach the South.
Now, here in Italy it's 2.54 AM so it's quite late.
If you have any answer, I'll gladly answer to them tomorrow (for me at least, I don't know the hour where you live, sorry pal).
EDIT: I just see that you'll come here in May, therefore you must see Tuscany: its countryside is simply a marvel.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. My wife is Italian so she has always wanted to see the homeland. I really wished we could do 2 months but in the US we typically don't have many vacation days a year.

I think it would be best if we stayed somewhat North in Italy and not venture down South as 5 days would mean much more time stuck in a train traveling.

I'll look into the rail more and the Interrail. Just skimming the Interrail and others it seems to be a pain. You pay for the certain amount of days you are traveling then you also have to make a reservation and even pay more. This is where the currency conversion kills us.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:21 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
Have so much fun!!! You will love it!!!

Old 01-14-2014, 12:17 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
I'd probably stay in both Munich and Amsterdam for at least 3 days. I guess you want to see a bigger Italian city as well. That makes it 9 full days in cities. 4-5 left. That's not a lot.

If I'd want to cover that route, I'd probably take a plane for the Amsterdam-Munich part, since a train ride directly from Amsterdam to Munich already takes 7:30h. Hopping off the train at one of the many beautiful small towns in Germany would mean that you have to take a slower train, since the ICE probably doesn't stop there. So, it'll probably take you 10h+ to get from Amsterdam to Munich and you won't see too much of any town en route, since you have only 4-5 days left and you also want to see some of Italy.

If I were you, though, I'd skip Amsterdam all together this time, since it wouldn't be worth 10h hours of detouring. Wait for it till the next time Focus on Southern Germany and Northern Italy. Pick three bigger towns (I'd probably pick Munich, Bolzano and Venice), spend three day in each and spend the rest in places nearby or en route (Innsbruck, Verona, Trento, Padova, Berchtesgaden, ... ; I'd pick two). If time goes by too fast, you can always take a connection flight from Venice to Munich.

Have fun!

Old 01-14-2014, 10:11 AM

We decided to take a plane from Amsterdam to Germany and sorry, no skipping this time. Life is guaranteed so not going to take a chance as this is one of the places we've wanted to visit among for a long time.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
This is mainly an advice on how to feed yourself in Amsterdam, and also to bring some food with you while traveling around Amsterdam and away from Amsterdam.

The Netherlands is the most expensive place in Europe to eat out (which you will have to do in most cases).
My suggestion is to NOT eat at any large *fancy looking* restaurant in Holland, but instead, find a small deli or grocery and buy bread and some cold cuts, and something to drink. *Cold Cuts* and cheeses, by the way , have no equal in the USA when it comes to comparing cold cuts and cheeses. They have more choices than you ever can imagine. So look around and buy what you like and make your own *sack lunch* or what ever. Any other time, go to some small *Chinees Eethuisje* (Chinese small restaurant) and enjoy some quite inexpensive *a la carte* choices (assuming you like Chinese food), or visit some street Vendor/Stand for some good seafood stuff !

When you are there in April or May, make your choice, based on the opening times of *Keukenhof Gardens*, the tulips !!!
Keukenhof Gardens - Tours & Tickets | Viator
Check out the tours you can take or find out how to get there by train on your own, then get in and explore on your own.
That website gives you suggestions on what you could do and see, either guided or on your own.
Rent a bike, ride around Amsterdam (with a map) and return with a slight nervous breakdown ?
Just follow everybody on bicycles, there are millions of them besides (literally) you !
Whatever you decide, do NOT try to explore Amsterdam by car !!!

I assume you like to go to the area of Munich next, so take the train from Amsterdam to Munich (About 11 + hours if not longer !!!) and then explore Bavaria from there (you did mention you have a place to stay in that neighbourhood). DO NOT TAKE THE NIGHT Trip !!!! So take the first train out in the wee hours of the morning.
The Netherlands Train Tickets & Passes: Browse Dutch Train Schedules - Rail Europe
While booking your reservation for the train, find out the route it will take, and check if the areas are worth looking at during the trip. Make sure the stretch between Koblenz and Mainz are included !!!
So I would suggest: Amsterdam - Utrecht - Cologne - Koblenz - Mainz - Mannheim - Stuttgart - Ulm - Augsburg - Munich
Visit a local *VVV* shop and talk to them (The first thing you should when you get out of the plane. There is one right there at the airport). You can make train reservations at the same time and make sure that the majority of the trip is during daylight !!!
Do not forget --- Food on the train is a fortune and a half !!! So buy some beforehand and picnic it !

When around Munich, have your relatives either take you to some castles and other towns worth visiting, or go on your own. Some trips DO require a car !!! Most castles are within a day car-trip. No trains or buses, but if there are any, it will take a long time to travel !

Again, to feed yourself, do the same thing in the other countries. Plenty of small shops to buy your daily provisions. Plenty of areas (parks, etc) where you can hang around and enjoy your lunch, or even dinner. Go to small restaurants (Gasthaus XXXXX or whatever they are called --- if they are small in size, usually more frequented by locals and thus a bit cheaper in the long run). BTW, even driving around the country side around Munich is rather quaint and often has breathtaking views, especially when you go on the south end of Bavaria.

Italy. Not knowing what your budget is, I know that everybody wants to see *Venice*, but take into account that Venice is expensive, simply, because it is a must see on the tourist route ! If you insist on a canal ride, keep in mind that *bargaining* is an art in that city. The better you are in bargaining, the cheaper it will be for you. It is just that in Venice. A canal ride and a lot of walking thru the city itself. Lots of interesting architecture stuff and even more stuff to spend your hard earned money on !!!

You mention *leave from there* (Italy), so I assume that you will leave from Rome ? That means you should end up in Rome ! Many areas worth seeing between Venice and Rome, but what do *YOU* like to see ?
I like the area around Garda Lake, and other (sadly out of your way !) lake areas such as Lake Como or even more towards the area of Swiss Ticino (I used to live in Bayern - Miesbach area, and in Switzerland - Berne area). You need to look at travel brochures and figure out what you like to see and then plan on the travel route.

When you do talk to the VVV office at the Amsterdam airport, maybe they can suggest some areas to see in Italy ???

Last but not least, Eurail passes can not be bought in Europe !!! (I think ?)
Have a fun and safe trip and take gazillions of pics and videos (your digital camera probably can take vids also !) If your camera has GPS capability, you can at least figure out where exactly you took the pics and vids !!! So invest in a large memory card !!! If you do not have a laptop with you, take some extra memory cards with you !!!

One last piece of advice :
Stay away from McD, KFC, Burger King and even Wendys, and other fast food places. You did NOT go there to go back to our crappy American Fast Food stuff !!
Also, *Packing*, lurk on the internet and find the episode of *Rick Steve travels* about how to pack lightly !
Nuff sed !

OOPS, did not see your decision to fly to Munich, but save this anyway for info !

Last edited by irman; 01-14-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,887,778 times
If you were interested in see Alps, Garda Lake and Dolomites just make me know.
I live there, I can help you if you need it.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:23 PM

Irman when you say expensive, how expensive to eat out? After paying for the flight and trains to everywhere I will have at least 5,500 to spend on hotels, food and entertainment. I figure hotel excluding Germany since I'll be staying with family should be around 1500-2000 but that's just a guess as I'm going to start looking at them when I have time.

I figured I would take the train like this

Munich to Vienna
Vienna to Venice
Venice to Rome

Is there somewhere else in Italy I should visit? We love wine and mountains. But also love the water. Is there a small town along the train route to stop and see and stay a night or 2 in? I'm using RailEurope.com

Is it worth going to see Switzerland? I have 2 laptops and a DSLR and plan on taking a ton of pics and video.

Last edited by piyf; 01-15-2014 at 05:31 PM..

Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,848,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Irman when you say expensive, how expensive to eat out?
Did you read the article linked above ?
The Netherlands is the most expensive place in Europe to eat out

Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
Is it worth going to see Switzerland?
Hard to answer depending on which route to take.
There are plenty of quaint areas to visit, if you stay around the scenic areas.
The north west parts of Switzerland, for instance, is (in my opinion) just so-so.
But, if you go towards the south east, then it is worth it.

I think, if you are planning to visit Vienna, then I have to ask, *what do you expect to see in Vienna* ?
My personal opinion of Vienna is, *Only worth it if you insist on watching the horse show* !! The rest is riding the street car (you do not have a car !!) around the *ring*, looking at old buildings. You could *take in* an *opera* and watching the performance standing /leaning against a steel bar ...

On the other hand, if you are weighing Switzerland vs. Vienna, then I would say, visit Switzerland instead.

When you look at the locations between Vienna and Switzerland, then Switzerland is a bit *out of the way*. Taking the train from Munich towards Rome, and going via Switzerland is a better *direct Route*.

For instance, you can take the train from Munich to Zuerich, and then go to Chur and take the Bernina Express, which is the most scenic train ride in Switzerland, towards Tirano (about 4+ hours of pure scenic vista), and then a bus ride to Lugano (a slightly direct route), or take the train, and get out in Monza. If you do that then from Monza to Milan, and then to Venice.
I can guarantee you the best scenic trip/ride yet for your whole trip !

From Lugano, to Rome, go via Milano, then to Venice (about 100 bucks ?) and then south towards Rome, and stop in Firenze. Venice to Rome = about 100 bucks.
Check with *xander.XVII* about how to get around in Italy !!! He should know better then I !!

You still have a few months to plan.
Make up your mind, create the route you want to take, and decide to go regular train tickets bought locally or compare to Eurail Pass cost.

One more thing to contemplate.
What reason to fly into Amsterdam ?
Have you checked which city would be the cheapest to fly into in Europe?
I do know that often, flying into Barcelona is a cheap way to get into Europe !
Get the flight AND a car. Then do a southern Europe round trip which includes Munich and Vienna and all the stuff in between, like the west coast of Italy and south coast of France ? ? If interested, I can suggest a route.

Taking pics and videos.
Take pics at the highest resolution possible.
Take vids and remember to pan slowly !! Refrain from a lot of zooming in and out.
Take vid, stop, zoom in, take vid, stop, zoom out, take vid again.
LBNL, everybody knows what you look like, so do not take EVERY pic with you in it !

Last edited by irman; 01-15-2014 at 08:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe