Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:48 PM

237 posts, read 673,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeo3 View Post
Bavarians are not that blonde really, altough many do have blue eyes.

Concerning GB, Brits (the original ones, these days lots of Brits from the former colonies) certainly look darker than Scandinavians, Northern Germans or most Dutch. However they look more northern compared to most Belgians or French.
I came to notice that Scottish and Irish people usually have dark hair, and a certain mediterranean look, but without the tan. Real English people look more like Germans or Dutch. I think that has historical reasons. English are anglosaxons, who came from northern Germany and Denmark (but mixed with local celtic people). Scots and Irish are basically Celtics, with some Scandinavian admixture.

French are also basically Celtics, but with some mediterranean and German admixture.
I disagree about Irish and Scots usually having a certain Mediterranean look. Celtic should not be associated with Mediterranean, and on a whole Celtic Britons look NW European. An average typical look associated with the Irish might be someone with Robbie Keane's facial features, with brown hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.
http://www.calciosport24.it/wp-conte...bbie_Keane.jpg
But a look people might associate with Scandinavian is also common, even if they might be completely Celtic. Someone like Damien Duff might be mistaken for Danish
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7254/7...f49e8a20_z.jpg
That's why the populations of the NW are more complex and why seemingly different groups can still commonly resemble each other somehow. Genetically Irish from Dublin are also very distinct from Portuguese from Porto, in being substantially lighter in eye, hair, and skin. They were also quite a bit lighter in all fields than the Polish from Warsaw. It is true that some Irish have a Mediterranean Iberian appearance, but it's far from average or even common.

All northern countries have darker individuals, and that includes Scandinavia. Darker complexioned Iberian resembling people are not absent from the Netherlands, and southern Germany has some crossover with northern Italy in phenotypes. But I would never say Bavarians usually have an Italian look on average, because they don't. Even dark haired Germans, which is typical in the south, don't identifiably look Italian.

Old 01-14-2014, 05:55 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post
I disagree about Irish and Scots usually having a certain Mediterranean look. Celtic should not be associated with Mediterranean, and on a whole Celtic Britons look NW European. An average typical look associated with the Irish might be someone with Robbie Keane's facial features, with brown hair, blue eyes, and fair skin.
But a look people might associate with Scandinavian is also common, even if they might be completely Celtic. Someone like Damien Duff might be mistaken for Danish
That's why the populations of the NW are more complex and why seemingly different groups can still commonly resemble each other somehow. Genetically Irish from Dublin are also very distinct from Portuguese from Porto, in being substantially lighter in eye, hair, and skin. They were also quite a bit lighter in all fields than the Polish from Warsaw. It is true that some Irish have a Mediterranean Iberian appearance, but it's far from average or even common.

All northern countries have darker individuals, and that includes Scandinavia. Darker complexioned Iberian resembling people are not absent from the Netherlands, and southern Germany has some crossover with northern Italy in phenotypes. But I would never say Bavarians usually have an Italian look on average, because they don't. Even dark haired Germans, which is typical in the south, don't identifiably look Italian.

Its useless to discuss with you, england is very diverse such as france and ton of ethnic english people look mediterranean. the average english look like david cameron, nick griffin or tony blair, thats the typical british pigmentation.

The Irish have even more mediterranean looks among their population.

Last edited by Traveler86; 01-14-2014 at 06:04 PM..

Old 01-14-2014, 06:32 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,786,339 times
Yes, you don't think Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Rowan Atkinson or for the Irish say the Corrs, have a Mediterranean look? I think Rowan Atkinson looks very French myself.

Old 01-14-2014, 06:47 PM

824 posts, read 3,601,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Yes, you don't think Cary Grant, Sean Connery, Rowan Atkinson or for the Irish say the Corrs, have a Mediterranean look? I think Rowan Atkinson looks very French myself.
I do agree, what about the english team I posted in comparison to the german one?

I could add matt hardy, fank lampard, gallagher brothers, catherine zeta jones, tom jones, Cheryl cole, jeff beck, ritchie blackmore, bryan may, in fact more than half british musicians I've seen have some form of mediterranean looks.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler86 View Post
Its useless to discuss with you, england is very diverse such as france and ton of ethnic english people look mediterranean. the average english look like david cameron, nick griffin or tony blair, thats the typical british pigmentation.

But you've never been there, have had limited interaction with British people. It's useless to discuss this with me because you've got nothing to give but your own opinions and little else. All you do is flip-flop, cherry-pick, and strawman. No one says England isn't very diverse, in fact it's us who are always saying this. It's you who will say this, but than you turn around and say blondism is very rare, majority most English are dark brown/black haired, and much more dark eyed than is common knowledge. This whole Iberian connection. You say the Irish are pretty much identical to English, and genetically they are remiss of any Germanic and just original Brythonic stock. Explain how you mean diverse when you say things like this. Of course this gives you the justification to yet again use two SCOTS and a WELSHMAN as typical ENGLISH looks. Whether you're right or not, you have to see how ridiculous this is. Can you even comprehend that? And for how dark you say the average Englishman is, you use Cameron as typical in hair and complexion
http://topnews.com.sg/images/David-Cameron_0.jpg
Blue eyes, medium brown hair, and fair rosey complexion. Very north European looking and not Mediterranean looking in the least. Tony Blair
http://keeptonyblairforpm.files.word...blair_2002.jpg
Also medium brown hair, fair ruddy skin, blue eyes, north European facial features. How does this help you? See, you can't even produce examples that match your rantings. Nick Griffin? I don't know how anyone could come up with that, unless they just made it up to be a troll. He's not typically English or even Welsh looking no matter what you say.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:23 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:

Well if you think Robbie Keane looks Mediterranean that would be the most common Irish colouring. Brown hair, fair freckled skin and blue eyes. If that is Mediterranean then that is the Irish. The Irish have more fair skinned people and more blue eyes than even Britain so if fair skin and blue eyes are Mediterranean everyone is Europe is virtually Mediterranean.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:40 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Do the Corrs have a Mediterranean look? Andrea has black hair so everyone with black hair is Mediterranean?

Andrea Corr 007 :: Andrea Corr Wallpapers :: ShareWallpapers

Sharon Corr has quite average Irish colouring

Sharon Corr 1920x1200 Wallpaper (High Resolution Picture)

The same with Caroline Corr

Caroline Corr 1920x1200 Wallpaper (High Resolution Picture)

They are all beautiful women.

Here is Jim Corr. He has fairly average Irish colouring.

Jim Corr Pictures - Jim Corr Photo Gallery - 2014

So no I don't think the Corrs look particularly Mediterranean. Not saying that Spanish and Portuguese don't have people similar but the Corrs have quite fair skin and besides hair are not particularly dark. They look Irish to me. The girls' pictures are quite high resolution so you can really see their colouring. I would be interested to hear if people do find them "Mediterranean" looking?

Old 01-14-2014, 07:45 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,428 times
Traveler86

Quote:
There are more blond people even in southern germany than in england, also czech people and among austrians.
I don't think so, yet English people tend to be more "ashblonde".

Quote:
There isnt a huge difference in looks between scottish, welsh or English, at leasnt among those living in the UK.
most Brittish people with really black hair and pale skin I know are Scottish, Welsh or Irish or of Scottish, Welsh or Irish decent.

Quote:
mediterranean look with paler skin = atlantic looks. Most british Islanders (english included) look like that.
English, not really. It is more common in the "celtic frindge". English look more Germanic, altough obviously with some celtic admicture.
I live in Belgium, I often take the eurostar to london. I like looking at faces, and English sure look more nordic than the average Belgian, even Flemish. Many Flemish have a French look, celtic with mediterranean admixture, altough you also have very Germanic looking types, since the Netherlands is close. It also depends on the area, even in such a small region. So I can imagine in a much larger country like GB there will be regional differences.

Quote:
ANd not all germans are blond, but even most of the non german blonds have some form of light hair (usually lightbrown),
not really, most Bavarians and Austrians have dark hair (remember Hitler...) and blue eyes, like many Brits. Yet the difference is the face, Brits have a more "atlantic" face, while many southern Germans and Austrians have a more Central european, pronounced face. You can already notice some small Eastern European influence.

Quote:
british islanders have much more of intermediate and dark shade of brown, even many of them have jet black hair, which is even more prominent among welsh, cornish and highland scots.
That's the celtic look, but English people are a mix of Celts, Germanic peoples and others (French, Romans, Normans, etc.).

Quote:
Its due to the prevalence of the old inhabitants of hibernia rather than the newcomers (angles, saxons, vikings, normans) whose influence was more culturally and linguistically than ethnically. British Islanders remain for the most part the same as those who inhabitated several thousand of years ago.
I think anglosaxons made quite an influence on English DNA, the Normans less so, since they were not numerous.

Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM

463 posts, read 1,129,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmega View Post

Yet I came to notice that most Irish or Scottish people don't look Scandinavian at all, like for example Richard Branson and many other English people. They usually have dark hair, blue eyes and a pale skin. That's the typical "celtic" look, which you also find in northern France, Switserland and Belgium. Obviously there are also Scandinavian looking people, since the vikings went there too and raped many women, but that's not the predominant type.

Poles look Slavic, but there's certainly some Western European admixture, Poles are like a mix of Russians with Germans. Me I'm from the former Soviet Union, and I can spot Russians from far. Russians and Ukrainians too have usually dark hair and blue eyes, yet their face is usually different from Western Europeans.
It's surprising that here in Belgium people usually think I'm foreign, also in GB or the Netherlands, but if I go to Eastern Europe or even turkey (altough I don't look dark at all, have a pale skin) people think I'm one of them.

About Italy, real Northern Italians as you can find them in Trentino, don't look that much different from Bavarians. But in the big cities in northern Italy millions of southern Italians settled during history, so these days most Northern Italians don't look that much different from Southern Italians.

In Spain too the north and south mixed extensively long time ago. Moorish people were sent to the north, Galicians were sent to the south, even Flemish (which belonged to to Spanish empire, and in Flandres this is noticeable, quite a few Spanish looking types) were sent to the Canary islands.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I do agree, what about the english team I posted in comparison to the german one?

I could add matt hardy, fank lampard, gallagher brothers, catherine zeta jones, tom jones, Cheryl cole, jeff beck, ritchie blackmore, bryan may, in fact more than half british musicians I've seen have some form of mediterranean looks.
http://theresilientearth.com/files/i...rrypicking.jpg
Who the hell is Matt Hardy? The American wrestler?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...utosession.jpg
Or is it another Matt Hardy, because this guy looks mixed ancestry. Frank Lampard is not typical because he doesn't really have strongly identifiable English looks. Gallagher bros are Irish and nothing Mediterranean. Zeta Jones and Tom Jones are Welsh and much darker than average and clearly a cherry-pickers delight. Cheryl Cole.....she's Irish and Scottish. Just because she exists doesn't mean she's typical or common. Jeff Beck, who dyes his hair black these days, easily passes as a German
http://www.biography.com/imported/im...3497-1-402.jpg
nothing Mediterranean about his looks. Ritchie Blackmore also just looks like a darker north European and he obvious dyes his hair black these days too. His original hair colour was medium brown
http://www.dennishanna.com/mark3_cc.jpg
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.4806383162753348&pid=1.7
Brian May definitely could pass as Dutch and looks nothing Mediterranean
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5tNa1uoHqz...0/brianmay.jpg
Congratulations on searching for exotic dark Brits to prove what 60 million people look like.

Why do you think Rowan Atkinson is brought up so much on these types of forums? Same for Connery, Zeta Jones, and Colin Farrell. It's because they are exotic and stand out very strongly. They get a lot of attention because they contradict what most people think of typical Brits. In Southern Europe no one would fuss over them, and even in central and eastern Europe. So you declaring Rowan Atkinson as a typical Brit truly shows the level of ignorance that you work with. So again, great job searching for darker Brits, but you can't prove what's average with cherry-picked examples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.