Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 PM

520 posts, read 597,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Coffeeshops - They are all over Amsterdam, and of course in the RLD. Yes you can actually order coffee in there of course, some have separate resteraunts attached. Ironically, you cannot smoke tobacco in a coffee shop - that's against the law. I've been to a few - one called the Grasshopper, the others I cannot remember the names. Most are used to tourists, primarily American. The ones I have been to have all been relaxing, friendly, and no stress environments. Go to the counter and just ask for a menu. You can both order pre-rolled joints or just loose weed and roll it yourself. I think some have bongs available. Some of the prerolled joints mix tobacco with the weed, that is actually a good choice if you haven't smoked the green stuff for awhile. Warning here - The Dutch have been cultivating their weed for decades and have it down to a science, some of it is very strong. If you are used to the standard home grown US sh*t then be advised of the strength or you will get stoned out of your mind. Also be very careful of the brownies - it has a delayed effect.
Keep your smoking within the confines of the coffeeshop. You won't get arrested or anything by smoking dope in public - but it's just not cool.
As I mentioned, do your research on coffeeshops. Most people in the know will tell you that the Grasshopper is one of the places NOT to go to. The Bulldog is another one to avoid.

Depending on your opinions about smoking the stuff, you can visit many coffeeshops that will let you use vaporizers for free. And, as the post I quoted mentions, many of them sell edibles as well. Most people seem to think that the cakes, muffins, bob bons and what have you are pretty worthless, but you'll have to judge that for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 09:36 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Fingers View Post
As I mentioned, do your research on coffeeshops. Most people in the know will tell you that the Grasshopper is one of the places NOT to go to. The Bulldog is another one to avoid.

Depending on your opinions about smoking the stuff, you can visit many coffeeshops that will let you use vaporizers for free. And, as the post I quoted mentions, many of them sell edibles as well. Most people seem to think that the cakes, muffins, bob bons and what have you are pretty worthless, but you'll have to judge that for yourself.
If you do online research, and there are forums dedicated to it, most of those online reviews of the coffeeshops are written by dutch dope connoissuers that are very selective about their coffeeshops. Nothing wrong with that except it's overkill for tourists that just want to sample the coffeeshop scene. You will find good weed in a friendly atmosphere in any coffeeshop, with maybe some variation on the music and atmosphere inside. The Bulldog - yeah yeah I remember that one and ordered some "to go". I think they have several, like a McDonalds chain, but I went to one in the RDL that is just down the street from the "Marihuana" Museam, advertises themselves as the first and original coffeeshop (who knows if that is true), has what I believe is a bar or something on the ground level floor and an extremely skinny staircase to the basement were you purchase your herbal products. The Grasshopper I go to (I think they have several) is between the Dam and the RLD, off a canal. That one actually I just eat at because it has good bar type food on an outside patio, order a beer and watch people go by and the dopers go in. Smoking on the patio seems to be tolerated as well. There are a few others I've been to - one in the RLD, small place with windows all around. Very crowded and you usually end up sharing a table with other stoners. Another near the Centraal station just off the main road, caters to tourists obviously. Full of American kids (over 18 obviously). Classic American Rock, "California Dreaming" was piped through last time I went. Can't remember the names of either one of those. No bad experiences ever in any of them.

By the way if one ventures into other areas of The Netherlands - the coffeeshops in the border towns are restricted to Dutch residents only. Not that they have any ethical concerns about marijuana, but they do that to discourage all the weekend traffic clogging the roads - stoner German and Belgium kids making the drive over.

Last edited by Dd714; 01-24-2014 at 09:48 AM..

Old 01-24-2014, 12:32 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post

By the way if one ventures into other areas of The Netherlands - the coffeeshops in the border towns are restricted to Dutch residents only. Not that they have any ethical concerns about marijuana, but they do that to discourage all the weekend traffic clogging the roads - stoner German and Belgium kids making the drive over.
Most like in Mastricht and Venlo are open again. The "Weed Pass" is only enforced in a few towns. I like the small town coffeeshops more than any in Amsterdam.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:12 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,906,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Most like in Mastricht and Venlo are open again. The "Weed Pass" is only enforced in a few towns. I like the small town coffeeshops more than any in Amsterdam.
Eindhoven coffeeshops and the towns around it were closed off to foreigners on my last visit to the southern part of NL about 8 months ago. My buddy, who is a Dutch resident (but not a citizen) couldn't even get in. Have they opened that back up yet? I've heard the laws were getting complaints - you reduce one problem and create another one - in this case they just opened up black markets. Was last in Amsterdam about 3 months ago and of course had no problems there.

Old 01-24-2014, 02:29 PM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
Eindhoven seems to enforce the "Wietpas"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe