Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 03:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,641,964 times

Advertisements

Why does the place with the world’s best café culture have no coffee culture?

Each Friday, Roads & Kingdoms and Slate publish a new dispatch from around the globe. For more foreign correspondence mixed with food, war, travel, and photography, visit their online magazine or follow @roadskingdoms on Twitter.

PARIS—There is one thing the guidebooks, the Francophiles, and the blissed-out romantics never tell you: The coffee in France is lousy.

Coffee in France is terrible: Why can’t the French brew a good cup of coffee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:14 PM

820 posts, read 955,069 times
France has absolutely not a café culture!

Old 01-26-2014, 05:24 PM

545 posts, read 867,445 times
Yes France doesn't have a coffee culture. Italy does. I think your mixing Cafés (french bars) with the actual drink. Usually people say France have a terrasse culture.
When you enter a Café in Paris, you order a coffee.. Just a coffee. In Rome you'll ask for an espresso, a latte, a stretto..
Still, I like coffees here. As written in the article, I certainly got accustomed to it. And I never put sugar nor milk in it. I would even dare to say people here don't really enjoy to drink a coffee, it's more something we use to stay awake. Cheapest and strongest it is, better it is.
edit. but in the morning, there is a strong custom to drink a bowl or a mug of coffee for breakfast. But it's home made (or nespresso made ).

Last edited by JedlaRoche; 01-26-2014 at 05:33 PM..

Old 01-26-2014, 07:35 PM

1,600 posts, read 1,891,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Yes France doesn't have a coffee culture. Italy does. I think your mixing Cafés (french bars) with the actual drink. Usually people say France have a terrasse culture.
When you enter a Café in Paris, you order a coffee.. Just a coffee. In Rome you'll ask for an espresso, a latte, a stretto..
Still, I like coffees here. As written in the article, I certainly got accustomed to it. And I never put sugar nor milk in it. I would even dare to say people here don't really enjoy to drink a coffee, it's more something we use to stay awake. Cheapest and strongest it is, better it is.
edit. but in the morning, there is a strong custom to drink a bowl or a mug of coffee for breakfast. But it's home made (or nespresso made ).
Most Italians reckon French cuisine lower than Italian one and thus coffee as well, but France is considered the number two.
On the other hand, asking an "American coffee" in Italy is almost a blasphemy.

Old 01-26-2014, 07:43 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,587,798 times
It may depend where in France. I've had some excellent coffee in the south. However if you are going to be comparing Italian coffee to French…well France loses.
I literally have dreams about Italian espresso. No matter where I've gone in the world and drink espresso, I have yet to roll on the floor and moan in ecstasy like I did in Milan.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:10 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 934,050 times
That is because Italy is the country with the best coffee.

France has a sidewalk cafe culture, but it is mostly just as an excuse to be fashionably seen and people watch (I do that in Paris to enjoy the sights and take a break from sightseeing).

Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,526,243 times
Broadly speaking, France has terrible coffee because it has poor beans and poor preparation habits. But, there is a small movement of artisan cafes buying great beans and carefully preparing real coffee drinks. I think that it will take time for the French to adjust to quality coffee, as everyone drinks the terrible stuff. But there is hope!

Last edited by TheCityTheBridge; 01-27-2014 at 01:43 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-27-2014, 02:33 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,935,243 times
Are you kidding me? Until you've drunk coffee in a small town in Canada, you don't know what bad coffee is! Coffee anywhere in Europe is the nectar of the gods, by comparison.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 PM

104 posts, read 273,587 times
As a US Expat in France, I completely agree, the coffee here mostly sucks. And my wife is so tired of my complaining I've stopped ordering coffee at cafes and get hot chocolate instead.

But for the same reason it's impossible to get Italian coffee anywhere else besides Italy, it's equally impossible to get a real baguette anywhere else than in France (Paris, in particular).

Part of the problem is that Cafés Richard have the market cornered and their coffee is mediocre at best. You can find some places which serve Lavazza (not bad) and if you're REALLY lucky, there'll be a red Illy sign out front.

However, what TCTB says is absolutely correct; there is an artesian coffee movement slowly gaining traction. You can find at least one decent roaster in just about any medium-sized city, now.

Old 01-28-2014, 01:10 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,526,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
As a US Expat in France, I completely agree, the coffee here mostly sucks. And my wife is so tired of my complaining I've stopped ordering coffee at cafes and get hot chocolate instead.

But for the same reason it's impossible to get Italian coffee anywhere else besides Italy, it's equally impossible to get a real baguette anywhere else than in France (Paris, in particular).

Part of the problem is that Cafés Richard have the market cornered and their coffee is mediocre at best. You can find some places which serve Lavazza (not bad) and if you're REALLY lucky, there'll be a red Illy sign out front.

However, what TCTB says is absolutely correct; there is an artesian coffee movement slowly gaining traction. You can find at least one decent roaster in just about any medium-sized city, now.
I had good coffee at Coutume Cafe on rue du Babylone in the 7th. It was like an oasis .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe