Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 12:03 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The Swiss aren't an EU Member, they have never joined the EU and there immigration policy is for the Swiss to decide and not the EU.
Of course, but if they decide to revoke the free movement of persons stipulated in the Bilateral Agreement I (1999), the EU is free to revoke all the other benefits we are granting the Swiss. Passport controls, no free movement of capital, ... That would jeopardize their whole economy. Think about all the banks in Zurich or all the tax evading companies in Zug. Funnily enough, those regions voted No this time. I wonder why?

I don't think most of the Swiss thought about that at all. And it will soon turn out, if it really was a wise idea to vote the way they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 01:04 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,732,494 times
Since many EU countries are headed in the Swiss direction and will try to pass similar legislation once the anti-immigration parties become large enough, it will be an uphill battle for the EU to impose sanctions. Already, several countries are ignoring EU court decisions regarding the constitutionality of their immigration policies and procedures. More will follow in time as welfare states fall apart and nationalistic zenophobes blame "outsiders".

Old 02-17-2014, 06:23 AM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Default Switzerland referendum on capping EU immigration.

is it me, or is this complete economic suicide ? they recently voted 50.7% in favour of capping EU immigration.

they have a Bilateral Agreement with the EU which consists of
  1. Free movement of people
  2. Air traffic
  3. Road traffic
  4. Agriculture
  5. Technical trade barriers
  6. Public procurement
  7. Science
take free movement of people out of the equation, you take the rest out too.

also more than 50% of the workers in switzerland are foreign, and do not hold a swiss passport. if you take 50% of the work force out of switzerland, they would have severe skills shortage because all of the foreigners brought a skill into switzerland that the swiss residents did not have. most of them were well educated and brought alot more to the table for switzerland than switzerland did for them.

there are other implications too which is, EU bosses won't be too happy with switzerland and may put its trade benefits with the EU in jeopardy. thats not too bad, until you realise that more that over 50% of their exports are to EU countries.

the whole point was to get more jobs for swiss people and increase wages. yes, but with such severe skills shortage, it won't be economically sustainable for a business to pay its accountant $1 million a year simply because there is such short supply and they are desperate. it gets even worse for companies when lack of immigration = less people = less customers = less profit. so companies either go bankrupt or simply relocate to a country with cheaper work force and more customers. that means loss of jobs (which kinda contradicts the point of this immigration cap and giving jobs to swiss people, if they leave with the skilled force) drop in GDP, drop in investments, loss of purchasing power, loss of tax revenue.

i think the swiss will look back at this decision in a few years time and wonder if nationalism was worth it. i personally think they've bottled it.

Last edited by sentry12; 02-17-2014 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-17-2014, 12:21 PM

90 posts, read 94,282 times
They are losing their native culture. Who cares how wealthy you are when you can't even recognize your neighbor, co-worker or those on the street? This is a concept that Americans can't comprehend.

Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
They are losing their native culture. Who cares how wealthy you are when you can't even recognize your neighbor, co-worker or those on the street? This is a concept that Americans can't comprehend.
america is what it is today thanks to its wealth/wealth-of-its-people. or the wealth it USED to have.

its not all about how wealthy they'll be (not be). wealth is one out of many things that they'll lose. economic collapse will mean they'll get to watch their neighbors, co-workers and those on the street lose their jobs as their companies go bankrupt, lose their houses, lose everything. but hey, atleast they recognised them. right ?

Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

4,651 posts, read 4,595,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn_lies View Post
Assuming they have one,Swiss culture is a mixture of several culture( German,Italian,Fench),i don't think anything is lost,i think the Swiss care more about money than culture.

Most Swiss only care about financial gain and the country is considered to be a safe heaven to tax-evaders and financial crooks so neighbours,co-workers are last thing they care about.

Old 02-17-2014, 06:52 PM

10,112 posts, read 14,991,435 times
Well this definitely sucks. The Swiss have to live through the tyranny of the non-Swiss who are imposing their views at the expense of what the Swiss truly want.

The naysayers may paint a doom and gloom picture if the Swiss are successful in imposing their desire for their own country, but few are the moments in history where a doom and gloom prediction has actually become true. Actually, doom and gloom predictions tend to be blown way out of proportion.

The Swiss managed to take what was once a worthless country and turned it into a shining example for the world. With a history like that there is no reason to doubt they would be able to figure their way out of their current situation and whatever imposition the EU puts on their path and still come out as winners.

Wishing or predicting the downfall of Switzerland based on their decision to do away with one of the EU requirements is akin to predicting the downfall of Germany if they ever decide to do the same, considering that Germany was utterly destroyed during WWII and impressively rebuilt and in record time became a global economic power again despite all the roadblocks the rest of Europe imposed on them as blame for the entire WW ordeal!

Last edited by AntonioR; 02-17-2014 at 07:11 PM..

Old 02-17-2014, 06:57 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
is it me, or is this complete economic suicide ? they recently voted 50.7% in favour of capping EU immigration.

they have a Bilateral Agreement with the EU which consists of
  1. Free movement of people
  2. Air traffic
  3. Road traffic
  4. Agriculture
  5. Technical trade barriers
  6. Public procurement
  7. Science
take free movement of people out of the equation, you take the rest out too.

also more than 50% of the workers in switzerland are foreign, and do not hold a swiss passport. if you take 50% of the work force out of switzerland,
From what I understand, the Swiss are not talking about getting rid of all immigrants completely - they are talking about limitations, and it's a different thing.

Quote:
they would have severe skills shortage because all of the foreigners brought a skill into switzerland that the swiss residents did not have. most of them were well educated and brought alot more to the table for switzerland than switzerland did for them.
What "skills" are you talking about, that "swiss residents didn't have?" And how many foreigners are there with those specific skills?
And how many without those skills, yet trying to reside in Switzerland?

Quote:
there are other implications too which is, EU bosses won't be too happy with switzerland and may put its trade benefits with the EU in jeopardy. thats not too bad, until you realise that more that over 50% of their exports are to EU countries.

the whole point was to get more jobs for swiss people and increase wages. yes, but with such severe skills shortage,
Again - what "severe skill shortage?"
You are talking about one of the wealthiest European countries; how did they manage to make it before, with all their "severe skill shortage," without any immigrants?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:02 PM

26,793 posts, read 22,572,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
america is what it is today thanks to its wealth/wealth-of-its-people. or the wealth it USED to have.
And Switzerland /other European countries are not America. Each and every country has its own culture; they are not just money-making machines, no matter who-what-how.

Quote:
its not all about how wealthy they'll be (not be). wealth is one out of many things that they'll lose. economic collapse will mean they'll get to watch their neighbors, co-workers and those on the street lose their jobs as their companies go bankrupt, lose their houses, lose everything. but hey, atleast they recognised them. right ?
Why are you so worried how they manage their affairs?

Old 02-17-2014, 07:11 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
I lived in Zurich before. Most people I got to know there seemed to be foreigners, but most are still Europeans especially Germans.

To my surprise there were not many Chinese (compared to the US and Britain) except in ETH, but I saw a lot of southeast Asians like Thais and Filipinos. Many Indians too, and almost all were IT engineers.

My English proficiency improved a lot in Zurich but only learned very little German. I knew a girl from Hong Kong. She majored in German language and literature in college, but spoke English in Zurich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe