Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 10:53 PM

72 posts, read 97,392 times

Advertisements

Any idea on what this could be?

https://www.google.com/maps?ll=53.48...7.45,,0,-13.22
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2014, 01:24 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,337,189 times
It looks like that in the few german cities that are on street view.
I don´t know why.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,736,615 times
It has to do with German privacy laws. Germany is a big gap in the European streetview coverage, as only big cities are covered, contrary to neighboring countries (bar Austria).

Quote:
In Germany, though, that was not enough. So Google allowed Germans to request that it blur pictures of their homes, too. When Street View went online for Germany’s largest cities in 2010, the company said 3 percent of German households opted out.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/0...ype=blogs&_r=0

Old 02-15-2014, 09:39 PM

72 posts, read 97,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
It has to do with German privacy laws. Germany is a big gap in the European streetview coverage, as only big cities are covered, contrary to neighboring countries (bar Austria).

So it is simply images of houses?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 AM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
^^^No, plain houses are fine.
I took a picture of a house in Berlin, that had a big political poster on the front wall:

Welcome to the Low Wage Republic of Germany by elnina999, on Flickr

But when you Google this address on Google maps:
Schiffbauerdamm 41
10117 Berlin, Germany

You will see only a blurred image of that house.

Germans take their rights to privacy very seriously.

Last edited by elnina; 02-16-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 02-16-2014, 11:54 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,861,767 times
Interesting point of view.

We like our privacy, and are willing to share it with whomever passes by,
(very limited exposure actually -- half the time, I do not even notice *bill boards*)
but ...
Not with the whole world !

I wonder, why in German AND English ?
If you *work* there, you should have some understanding of German ...

OK, OK, back to topic !!!

Old 02-16-2014, 09:20 PM

10,110 posts, read 14,985,985 times
I think that privacy law is quite stupid and so are the people that fall for that. Take the house in post #5, you can put the address in the google bar and it will take you right to their doorstep. Sure, you don't know what the house looks like, but you sure do know what the street and the neighborhood looks like and once checking everything on Google Street View and then on Google Earth, it should be a piece of cake to find the place in person. Then what?

In order for that law to work, they must not allow an address to be spotted on Google Street View and for that they need to find a way to block the address from even working in the search bar. And even then, it can only go so far because you can just type in the next door address number and it would take you there. lol

Old 02-16-2014, 09:33 PM

Yes, you can go and see the banner IN PERSON, but no matter how you turn and twist the search for that house (I took the pix from the bridge), you just can't see that banner on the Google map.
So it's not about blocking the address, it's about blocking an image they want to keep private (at least on the Internet).
Same with faces, cars license etc. Sure you can see them all in person, but they don't want you to search it online.
BTW: this is not an exact address of that building, but an approx area you can Google to see where the house is located.

irman: That building is standing left to Reuters Agency, right to ARD TV studio, and across the whole government area. Great spot to send a political message, thus in two languages.

Last edited by elnina; 02-16-2014 at 09:54 PM..

Old 02-16-2014, 10:56 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,519,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

Quote:
In Germany, though, that was not enough. So Google allowed Germans to request that it blur pictures of their homes, too. When Street View went online for Germany’s largest cities in 2010, the company said 3 percent of German households opted out.
My understanding is that, in the case of apartments, if even just one family objects out of the many who live in a building, the whole building has to be blurred.

I don't really understand it; I don't care two hoots if somebody can see the building I live in using Google Maps. If the person looking is doing so out of idle curiosity, or merely to find out what the intersection on the corner looks like, so they can find their new dentist or what have you, then it's almost a certainty that they have no idea that I live here, or who I am. Or if it's somebody to whom I have volunteered my address, then, again, why should I care? Why should anyone? If you give your address to your doctor or the loyalty program at the grocery store or to an acquaintance--then they know your address. Get over it!! Even without GSV, it wouldn't be that hard to find out such things as the average household income in my neighborhood, or whether most people around here are homeowners or renters.

GSV in Germany is not just limited to commercial areas of a few big cities, they stopped it in its tracks years ago. So whatever is available is increasingly out of date as time goes on. I had the opportunity to live over there for a year in my student days, but haven't been able to go back since--and I don't expect I'll ever be able to do it in the future, given the perennially weak dollar. I wanted so much to take a virtual walk down the streets I trod as a student, and that's not ever going to happen now. I understand how their history makes Germans uneasy about GSV, and it is up to them, after all. But I still can't connect all the dots here. I'm bitterly disappointed by the whole thing.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 AM

I guess, here in the US we have a different view of privacy, and many don't even know what privacy means.
A short and easy definition could be that privacy is what people believe they have lost when they complain about their privacy being infringed.
So, yes - blurring will protect those peoples privacy. Keep in mind that just because they can't completely hide from a very small group of people (those walking/driving down their street) does not make it OK for millions of people to see it on the Internet.
Allowing less people to see it makes it more private, if not entirely private. And hey, if it makes THEM feel more comfortable, so be it.

And lastly - freedom is being able to say NO, even without a rational basis. I wonder what would you say if Google purchase those backscatter X-ray vans for even more intrusion? We already said YES to them on the airports.
That's how we are losing our rights here - one little step at the time...

BTW: blurry on Street View is not the same thing as absent on satellite or map view, and Google is not the only mapping service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe