Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2014, 05:05 PM

326 posts, read 471,388 times

Advertisements

i live in the UK. if catch a ferry over to France, how can anyone any country know exactly where i am in the Schengen area ? there are no border checks so just as long as i'm not working or i'm within the Schengen area, no one can find out where i'm living, or how long i've been living there. there is a law in all the countries in the Schengen area saying you have to sign on to the national register as a resident after 90 days or thereabouts. whats stopping me from living in, lets say, Belgium longer than that without registering ? provided i have enough money to live on without working ofcourse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2014, 05:59 PM

2,869 posts, read 5,139,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
i live in the UK. if catch a ferry over to France, how can anyone any country know exactly where i am in the Schengen area ? there are no border checks so just as long as i'm not working or i'm within the Schengen area, no one can find out where i'm living, or how long i've been living there. there is a law in all the countries in the Schengen area saying you have to sign on to the national register as a resident after 90 days or thereabouts. whats stopping me from living in, lets say, Belgium longer than that without registering ? provided i have enough money to live on without working ofcourse.
That "flaw" applies to any country that admits you on a tourist visa (or waives the visa but still imposes a time limit), it's not specific to the Schengen area (of course for most other places you could only move around one country, e.g. the US or Canada). There will be consequences if you stay illegally and get caught. Your passport will be scanned when you get in, I would assume the UK and Schengen countries share in/out info automatically so countries in the Schengen area will know where you got back to the UK. Whether or not they do anything with that piece of info, I don't know.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
When I traveled from Switzerland to Italy by train in 2008, the Italian police did check documents.
However, when I traveled to France, nobody cared. When I travel from Austria to Switzerland, nobody cared either.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
That "flaw" applies to any country that admits you on a tourist visa (or waives the visa but still imposes a time limit), it's not specific to the Schengen area (of course for most other places you could only move around one country, e.g. the US or Canada). There will be consequences if you stay illegally and get caught. Your passport will be scanned when you get in, I would assume the UK and Schengen countries share in/out info automatically so countries in the Schengen area will know where you got back to the UK. Whether or not they do anything with that piece of info, I don't know.
What the OP is saying is that if each country has a 90 day limit, someone could stay in one country for 900 days without being detected at any time. There's no way to prove he didn't stay in 10 countries for 90 days each, or one country for 900 days.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:08 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What the OP is saying is that if each country has a 90 day limit, someone could stay in one country for 900 days without being detected at any time. There's no way to prove he didn't stay in 10 countries for 90 days each, or one country for 900 days.
I think the visa itself is for 90 days; so a person can only be in the zone for 90 days before they need to leave, or get their visa extended. They will check it upon leaving.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentry12 View Post
Like my previous post stated; the visa itself is for 90 days regardless of where you go, I think you just have to file the visa with the point of entry country, after that you are good to go. But it is not 90 days in each country, it is 90 days total, and they will check when leaving, and you are of course subject to checking any time like at a hotel, police or something.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Like my previous post stated; the visa itself is for 90 days regardless of where you go, I think you just have to file the visa with the point of entry country, after that you are good to go. But it is not 90 days in each country, it is 90 days total, and they will check when leaving, and you are of course subject to checking any time like at a hotel, police or something.
So, to "renew" the visa for another 90 days (i.e. extend one's stay by getting another visa), one could simply cross a border into Croatia or Switzerland, and then re-enter the area for another 90 days?

Old 02-17-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So, to "renew" the visa for another 90 days (i.e. extend one's stay by getting another visa), one could simply cross a border into Croatia or Switzerland, and then re-enter the area for another 90 days?
No, you have to apply, not simply cross the border, and I think you have to be out of the zone to reapply. I went through this whole thing with my wife while living over there because she needed to renew her visa a few times.

You apply with the embassy of the country you intend to be your point of entry (or destination), when the 90 days are up, you can only extend if there is some great reason for it, otherwise you must be out of the zone and reapply for the visa.

Upon entering the zone, the visa is stamped, so a person can run around the zone just fine. Upon leaving, the visa is stamped as well; so if a person stayed past the visa, they risk trouble and potential denial of renewing a new visa in the future.

This has been a few years, so some things could have changed of course.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
No, you have to apply, not simply cross the border, and I think you have to be out of the zone to reapply. I went through this whole thing with my wife while living over there because she needed to renew her visa a few times.

You apply with the embassy of the country you intend to be your point of entry (or destination), when the 90 days are up, you can only extend if there is some great reason for it, otherwise you must be out of the zone and reapply for the visa.

Upon entering the zone, the visa is stamped, so a person can run around the zone just fine. Upon leaving, the visa is stamped as well; so if a person stayed past the visa, they risk trouble and potential denial of renewing a new visa in the future.

This has been a few years, so some things could have changed of course.
Thanks, very interesting. In the US, where the maximum you can get on a tourist/visitor's visa is 6 months, all you have to do to extend for a year is go to Canada or Mexico for a day, and come back. idk, though--they may be cracking down on that, for the usual security reasons.

Old 02-18-2014, 05:12 AM

326 posts, read 471,388 times
Quote:
there is no visa. you simply show your passport to french officials prove you are a EU citizen and boom, they let you go from there. there is no limit on how long i stay away from the UK or in the schengen area because there are legal ways of living in the schengen area, which is to live 90 days in france, 90 days in spain, 90 days in italy, 90 days in germany, all visa free, all without needing to sign up to their register. this is the freedom of movement law. it is illegal for any official to document where you were and how long you were there, ask your intentions of staying in whichever country.

its not possible for a non-EU citizen to stay visa-free in the WHOLE of the schengen area for longer than 90 days. the country you got the visa with will set off alarms and notify the police of all the countries in the EU if you overstay the 90 days. if you get pulled over by the police in any EU country and they find you have a US passport and your name is blacklisted as overstayed you can get deported whereas if you have an EU passport, unless you are wanted by your country for a crime, you're free as a bird.

Schengen Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe