Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 09:38 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,999,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
Not in Tibet, R1b is related (in some cases) with Indoeuropean languages, not with the Tibetan branch of languages. Indo-Iranians are not originally from Tibet.
I know. That's why I found it remarkable. But it must be an error on the map. I've seen "R" placed on other migration maps, and it's a bit west of Tibet, around Afghanistan/Tajikistan. Those placements are probably approximations, anyway. Plus, I think the place of origin of R is disputed, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
There is a theory that the Halogroup R is responsible for the spread of light skin, blonde, red hair in European, because fair pigmentation was a physical feature associated with Indo-Europeans. However blue eyes were already present in the I haplogroup in Scandinavia in Mesolithic times.
R probably still is responsible for the spread of those characteristics. I didn't get around much, outside of Europe. Except on one map, I some some "I" west of lake Baikal, which I couldn't find an explanation for.

Old 03-18-2014, 07:52 AM

285 posts, read 750,414 times
It's very important to settle those studies, because in many places of europe, the original population is dissapearing under the massive income of immigration.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:37 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,048,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxonwold View Post
There is a theory that the Halogroup R is responsible for the spread of light skin, blonde, red hair in European, because fair pigmentation was a physical feature associated with Indo-Europeans. However blue eyes were already present in the I haplogroup in Scandinavia in Mesolithic times.
Cultural traits like language, phenotype traits of pigmentation and genetic Y chromosome traits don't necessarily have to go together as a package.

My own research leads me to believe that those searching for the origin of the modern European phenotype should look in the area of the Baltic region stretching towards the stomping grounds of the modern Slavic speaking peoples and former USSR territory down to Turkey north of the Taurus Mountains.

Old 03-18-2014, 03:34 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,443,000 times
A recently identified R1b subclade in Great Britain named R1b-S530/R1b-L1335, has been identified as the "Pictish" marker. The R1b-S530 is found in 10% of Scottish males, while less than 1% of English have it. In Northern Ireland, about 3% of the Northern Irish were found to be from this subclade. This tells us a lot that history doesn't lie much.

Old 03-19-2014, 12:27 PM

81 posts, read 108,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
Cultural traits like language, phenotype traits of pigmentation and genetic Y chromosome traits don't necessarily have to go together as a package.

My own research leads me to believe that those searching for the origin of the modern European phenotype should look in the area of the Baltic region stretching towards the stomping grounds of the modern Slavic speaking peoples and former USSR territory down to Turkey north of the Taurus Mountains.

You are talking about R1a, R1b comes from Maykop and the Kuban river. Slavs are R1a.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:21 AM

5 posts, read 4,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Litri View Post
Not in Tibet, R1b is related (in some cases) with Indoeuropean languages, not with the Tibetan branch of languages. Indo-Iranians are not originally from Tibet.
An Indoeuropean people aren't from Tibet but in someplace in Central Asia / Northwest India / Northern Pakistan / Hindukush Mountains or East Europe (Russia).

Old 12-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian1985 View Post
An Indoeuropean people aren't from Tibet but in someplace in Central Asia / Northwest India / Northern Pakistan / Hindukush Mountains or East Europe (Russia).
That poster misunderstood my post. "R" is from somewhere around the area of Tibet, or just west of it, or a little north. (Eupedia says "north Asia", but I've never seen another source that goes that far.) But "R" arose long before Indo-Euros ever existed, even in a formative stage. From it, R1 and R1a and -b developed. R1a and -b developed into Indo-Iranians and Indo-Europeans. Where, exactly, is up for debate. The oldest actual example of R that I know of was found in a boy buried 24,000 years ago in the Baikal region.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:50 PM

451 posts, read 1,325,139 times
From what I have read, YDNA R1b is the most common among males in Europe-especially in Western Europe/Central Europe. While R1a is more common in Russia. While YDNA I was in Europe earlier than R1b. YDNA I (I read someplace were hunter-gather) and also read articles that suggested they already had the genes for blue eyes. While I read that the R1a and R1b were from nomadic people living on the Eurasian steppes and were quite tall. YDNA N1c is more common on the Eastern Baltic regions-Finland (61%), Lapland (53%), Estonia (34%), Latvia (38%), Lithuania (42%) and northern Russia (30%). YDNA N1c derived from YDNA NO which is also parent of YDNA O which is common in East Asia.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM

4,680 posts, read 13,443,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kantabriansea View Post
o

Or is the "I" haplogroup

It's easy to find samples, and these are the averages of those samples... but can that be extrapolated to the whole population?
R1b Y-haplogroup is most common in the western parts of Europe, but is not the oldest haplogroup in
Europe either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe