Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2014, 02:44 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,935,425 times

Advertisements

Here are some statistics(from 2007) about gangs in London. There were (according to law enforcement) about 2000 gang bangers in London at the time. Which does not seem a lot at all to me considering the population size of London. They were responsible for 20% of all youth crime. Which means 80% of youth crime has been committed by 'regular criminals'.

I don't deny the UK has a major narcotics problem(that is also what I referred to in my previous post). But most of that is non-violent. And there have been a few gang related shootings, like the article mentions, although they don't happen every day like you seem to suggest. Gang related killings are still rare.

Like I said before, the police in Britain don't even carry guns. That would be unthinkable here in the Netherlands or places like the US where there is much more violent (gun related) crime and where the police have to be able to defend themselves. Apparently, until present, that is still not necessary today in Britain, making it a pretty safe place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2014, 03:44 AM

301 posts, read 521,546 times
Lots of cops have guns, there is a whole armed response force who all have guns, that's why so many young black kids are shot and killed by police in Britain. It was a police shooting of a young gang banger that caused the London riots two years ago. Britain has murders EVERY DAY. Britain is a much different and more dangerous place than the Netherlands. Britain has REAL gangs and police get murdered here, teenagers get shot and stabbed, it is a different world to what you have in sweet and safe Netherlands.
The police in Britain are always shooting and killing people, London has a higher crime rate than New York, that is FACT. Who do you think controls all the drugs in Britain, Britain has the largest drugs market in Europe, and it is all controlled by the gangs. use your brain. In London, Manchester, Birmingham, you can hear gun shots firing almost every night by teenage gangbangers shooting at stuff

Last edited by Obi wan spaghetti; 03-14-2014 at 03:58 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi wan spaghetti View Post
Lots of cops have guns, there is a whole armed response force who all have guns, that's why so many young black kids are shot and killed by police in Britain. ...
Regular police don't carry guns in Britain which means everyday patrolling is safe for them. These armed response forces don't regularly patrol the streets and do not handle day to day situations like DUI's, uninsured drivers, public misconduct. In the Netherlands or the US all police carry guns, even for day to day situations.

Like I said before, 2000 gang bangers is nothing compared to the population size of London. Riots are usually caused by civil unrest caused by unemployment, poverty etc. and the shooting of a gang banger by the police is only just the catalyst. Nobody really cares about a gang banger shot by the police.

Old 03-14-2014, 05:07 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,601,133 times
He's talking nonsense. Gun-related crimes in the UK are extremely rare - even rarer are gun-related homicides. Only Japan has a lower rate of gun deaths than we do.

The UK has a high rate of violent crime, but so do most northern European countries. Violent crime can be anything from intimidation to gross bodily harm.

Most deaths amongst young people are caused by traffic or suicide. You may get the occasional stabbing, but they're by no means common - the stats speak for themselves.

His claim that you can hear shootings every night is laughable. I've never heard a gunshot before - not even once - in all my 26 years. Guns just aren't a problem in the UK. Murder isn't a problem. Gangs? Maybe some drug-related gangs, but you won't see crips or bloods roaming the streets with glocks on the streets here. You might see a group of skinny little kids in hoodies though.

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-14-2014 at 05:20 AM..

Old 03-14-2014, 05:15 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,588 times
I have walked through some of the dodgiest parts of Europe without ever having any fear of bodily harm. I have lived in parts of San Diego where I did not go to the corner store without my 38 in my pocket.

Old 03-14-2014, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He's talking nonsense. Gun-related crimes in the UK are extremely rare - even rarer are gun-related homicides. Only Japan has a lower rate of gun deaths than we do.

His claim that you can hear shootings every night is laughable. I've never heard a gunshot before - not even once - in all my 26 years. Guns just aren't a problem in the UK. Murder isn't a problem. Gangs? Maybe some drug-related gangs, but you won't see crips or bloods roaming the streets with glocks on the streets here. You might see a group of skinny little kids in hoodies though.
These statistics say it all, thanks. I guess I was dealing with some Muricans who attempted to show Europe is no better than the US is this aspect but obviously(like always) terribly failed in doing so . Either that, or they are wannabe gangsters admiring US gang culture and wishing that upon Europe without really understanding what they are wishing for .

Old 03-14-2014, 11:20 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,166,504 times
There were 104 homicides in London (Pop 8.3 million) over the last 12 months.

Metropolitan Police Service - Crime Figures

Old 03-16-2014, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,046 times
You think these youngstas ready for war as they rap and the straps they show ??

Stone ft. Boosie - War - YouTube

Old 03-16-2014, 09:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
No, crips are a Los Angeles gang, even the ones in other american cities are not real.
This is completely wrong! Maybe the ones in your city aren't but I assure you they are nationwide!

Old 03-20-2014, 12:01 AM

1,071 posts, read 1,260,944 times
When the movie "the warriors" hit the theaters in the late 70's, we had a lot of little wannabe streetgangs, but it never became a big thing. Later on in the early 2000's we had the same with the crips and the bloods, but again "wannabees" and never became big. A few months ago i saw a documentary about MS13, saying they were also seen in Spain, but also nothing big.

The only gang/ like thing that became kind of big and worried people are the biker gangs. We have some problems with them from time to time, and Sweden and Germany too. But not as extreme as in the U.S. i think.

Streetgangs is just not our cup of tea i think. No, we rather kill eachother over a socker game

I wonder sometimes, does that occur in the U.S? I always thought hooligans are a typical European thing, but lately i heard that it's pretty big in South America too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe