Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:12 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,672,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No, you're an American if you were born/raised in America. If you were born and raised in Ireland, then you're actually Irish.
Would you say then that somebody who's Jewish and born in the U.S. is American rather than Jewish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,705 times
Just had my corned beef and cabbage and I have no Irish ancestry. It is definitely an Irish American started thing,at least the customs we have here are. Irish people came here, adapted some ideas, foods, etc to life here amalgam. Those adapted ideas got passed down from generation to generation and it's origins got forgotten. I grew up in New England with people whose Irish Grandma celebrated it, so their mother did and in turn they did.
When I was around 10, in 1980, we used to visit and elderly Irish woman who came to the USA through Ellis Island. She came over in around 1920. She celebrated St Patricks day with what was available and common here. Her daughter followed those traditions, and I assume her grandchildren or even great grandchildren do today.
It's tradition ,thats all ,and it's very very common in New England . It's no different that the "Italian" customs that are really a hybrid of old world and new world. I don't think it's a coincidence that both of these groups are heavily Catholic and big on tradition

Here is a nice article about the evolution of corned beef and cabbage.

Corned Beef and Cabbage: As Irish as Spaghetti and Meatballs

Old 03-17-2014, 04:35 PM

603 posts, read 1,632,866 times
Happy St Patrick's Day.

To the people of my own country and especially the Irish everywhere.

They shall continue to live on their tradition.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 PM

844 posts, read 1,064,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
No, you're an American if you were born/raised in America. If you were born and raised in Ireland, then you're actually Irish.

Sorry to break it to you but if you visit or even live Ireland and you tell an Irishman that you're Irish, they'll definitely not think of you as one of them. They'll consider you a "yank".
Does it really affect you that he consider himself Irish?

Old 03-17-2014, 11:07 PM

79 posts, read 127,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aztecgoddess View Post
Does it really affect you that he consider himself Irish?

It does actually, because people like this usually have no clue about Ireland and spread false stereotypes and traditions.

Old 03-18-2014, 12:46 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,474,937 times
It doesn't bother me that people who have Irish ancestry acknowledge that ancestry. I'd be more insulted if they didn't although everyone is free to do as they choose.

Everyone knows that Americans who say they are Irish are talking about their ancestry anyway.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:01 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,890,394 times
They don't do that they actually say they are Irish as if they are born and bred here.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:42 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,689,705 times
It's a cultural thing. As a nation of immigrants we all do that here though. We tend to refer to our ancestry that way. I'm a MacDonald ,people will say" oh your Scottish" and I will say yes, but my Scottish ancestors came here via Nova Scotia , along with having German and English ancestry. People here know that I am refering to my ancestry. When I am in Boston and someone says they are Irish, I know they mean by ancestry. When my ex calls himself Polish, I know he is talking about ancestry. It's totally different from my born and raised Welsh friend who lives in London. When he says "I'm welsh" I know he means he was born and raised there. In America, if someone said they were Welsh, I'm assuming they mean by ancestry , unless they sound like Matthew Rhys. It's all about context
Those in America saying they are Irish are NOT claiming to be born and raised there. It means grandma or great grandpa immigrated here.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:31 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,078,063 times
I wasn't able to partake in any of the festivities this year but last year I recieved a document and the corresponding Medalion that designated me as Irish which I presume was likely issued by the local Irish Consulate that was temporarily operating out of Paddy's Irish Pub here in town and does not appear to contain any expiration date, so yes...I am indeed Irish and dam proud of it!

Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,144,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
And I really have no idea why. America is not Ireland.
There are more Americans of Irish decent than that of all current citizens of Ireland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe