Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:33 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times

Advertisements

..or will I?

How do two writers (non-smokers) find a charming but modestly priced flat or apartment in Paris for a week in Sept.? My wish list--walking distance to cafes, museums, markets, maybe a park, and quiet.

I'm even hoping for a bath tub, a balcony for plein air dining for two, and a bed bigger than a postage stamp--or even twin beds. My husband snores.

Looking in the Latin Quarter, St. Germain, Marais--or??

We love books, art, music, cuisine, pets, plants, flowers, parks and fois gras. Oysters! Mais oui!! Chocolate is nice. Especially with a happy glass of wine. And we swoon over almond croissants.

Quirky and funky are fine--even a houseboat moored on the Seine.

Any help is most appreciated. Our first time in Paris. Guide books are helpful, but you who live there are the best resource. Please do feel free to PM me.

Merci beaucoup, Little Dolphin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

217 posts, read 277,581 times
airbnb?

Old 03-20-2014, 03:55 AM

545 posts, read 866,977 times
How much money can you spend ? That's the only thing which matter.. The areas you listed are ones of the most expensive by the way.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
How much money can you spend ? That's the only thing which matter.. The areas you listed are ones of the most expensive by the way.
Are there other districts less expensive, but still within walking distance to the Louvre, Rodin and Picasso museums? And that have the charm of old Paris we're hoping to be in?

We have found one apt. that looks very charming, but it's $135/night U.S. That's high for us for 7 nights...is it reasonable?

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,348,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Are there other districts less expensive, but still within walking distance to the Louvre, Rodin and Picasso museums? And that have the charm of old Paris we're hoping to be in?

We have found one apt. that looks very charming, but it's $135/night U.S. That's high for us for 7 nights...is it reasonable?
100€ for an apartment with balcony, bathtub and king-sized bed in one of Paris' most expensive neighborhoods? Suspiciously cheap to be honest. Especially compared to the prices of hotels with similar amenities.

Old 03-20-2014, 09:55 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
I searched for 1 bedroom and some kind of outdoor space in the neighborhoods Saint Germain, Sorbonne, Marais, Opéra, Louvre, Hôtel-de-Ville.

Most are $200 to $300 a night.

You have to remember that Central Paris, especially the "walking distance zone" is as expensive than the heart of Manhattan.

edit: Yup, they are almost all more than that 135. I would just take something on the fringes, RER myself to the Louvre and pretend I walked there.

Last edited by Ariete; 03-20-2014 at 10:06 AM..

Old 03-20-2014, 10:10 AM

545 posts, read 866,977 times
Be careful about scams. Some people "rent" flats they don't own. If someone ask you for cash money, just forget about it, but if it is a 100% sure website. And tourists are the first target. I assume it is the same in the US, but the internet is a jungle around here.

100€ a night is possible. Could you send me the link in PM ?
Less than 100€ is even possible but it's maybe not what you are looking for :
http://www.housetrip.com/en/rentals/...ate=2014-09-14

Old 03-20-2014, 10:37 AM

158 posts, read 382,863 times
Check homelidays.com
I used it several times, you can rent directly from the owner and negotiate the price.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
100€ for an apartment with balcony, bathtub and king-sized bed in one of Paris' most expensive neighborhoods? Suspiciously cheap to be honest. Especially compared to the prices of hotels with similar amenities.
Does not have king-size bed, it is perhaps a double, a queen at the largest, but yes, it has the rest of the amenities. It's a studio, but looks very clean, and the owner made us a special price for a week's stay...we're trying to decide....I love that it overlooks gardens.

Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedlaRoche View Post
Be careful about scams. Some people "rent" flats they don't own. If someone ask you for cash money, just forget about it, but if it is a 100% sure website. And tourists are the first target. I assume it is the same in the US, but the internet is a jungle around here.

100€ a night is possible. Could you send me the link in PM ?
Less than 100€ is even possible but it's maybe not what you are looking for :
HouseTrip.com
You are so kind to look for me!

The link to the apt. -- I like that it's quirky and off-beat---but some reviews give me pause..several said it was dirty and dusty and needed a new cleaning...and the bathroom in the hall might be problematic...someone else said it was noisy from construction nearby and the windows didn't have coverings...sounds like maybe not a good place to sleep well? But I do like that it's bohemian in decor.

The price is terrific.

I also like the french classic look and historic, classic buildings. Might be out of our price range, though. Artists' lofts hold great appeal...skylights and all. Found a really cool one, was ready to book, but then read further and found it was on the fifth floor with no lift. My bum skiing knee would not be happy with that. I can walk miles but going up and down a lot of steps makes it protest.

To PM me, click on my name "Little Dolphin." On the drop down options, the second one one leads to "send a direct message"...

Have you found Housetrip is a bona fide and okay agency to use??

I've used VRBO in the past for other rentals in other locations with no problems...

Sure appreciate everyone's help...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe