Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
If you really want to know, better read up on this then ...

The top 10 hand gestures you'd better get right | Language Trainers UK Blog

The best thing to do in any country foreign to *you*, would be to not make any hand or finger signs.
A politely nod will do in most cases !
Yes, although aren't there some places where nodding the head and shaking the head are reversed? All this foreign travel is fraught with danger!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 11:17 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Yes, although aren't there some places where nodding the head and shaking the head are reversed? All this foreign travel is fraught with danger!
Whoaaa ... , yes in Bulgaria !!
Sorry, I forgot all about that !
But ...
The nod is not a head up and down movement.
It is more like moving your chin up !

Even stranger is the verbalising of yes or no (in their language)
If you say it twice, then it might mean NO !
Conversely with the *no*.
Say it twice it might mean YES !!

Last edited by irman; 04-07-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-13-2014, 10:09 PM

600 posts, read 1,934,133 times
I am from Europe and familiar with most countries. I live in the US now and find that there are less differences than most people think.
You can't go by the stereotypes.

So here is what I can think of:

Eat with your fork and knife the whole time. Northern Europeans don't cut their food and then eat it with the fork only as many Americans do.

Don't expect the water to be free. It is not.
Don't expect any free refills. They do not exist.

The waiters tend to be slower and will not come ask for desert while you still enjoy your entree. So be patient as Europeans tend to site and socialize in restaurants forever.

In the higher class restaurants the servers take your coat and hang it up for you. They also pull out the chairs for you and are extra polite. Let's say that is what they should do.

In general Europeans are not as personal and do less small talk. Some are rude if short lipped if you are from a different country.

In the US I have always been welcome and never got treated any different. It's a way friendlier and service oriented world.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:07 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,825,803 times
Water is free in most countries.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:50 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,080,580 times
Well, I'm in the hostelry business and that topic is being discussed here, on the Med coast.
There are parents that go to restaurants with toddlers and young kids and then they start to scream, cry, run and bother other customers....before whenever that happened parents removed kids or tried to appease them..but not anymore,,so some customers get real mad.

I haven't seen Americans behaving this way, English yes, some English let their kids loose in a restaurants as if they were in a park, and when somebody tell them to take care of their kids, they say they don't know the kid.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:11 PM

268 posts, read 878,331 times
restaurant
- Let them eat with a fork on the left hand and a knife/spoon on the right. Use both hands.
hotel
- Don't watch television while eating. Try to eat/watch TV with your mouth closed.
museum, park manners
- Don't shout, yell.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:36 PM

3,573 posts, read 3,807,206 times
don't talk to complete strangers. not very popular in any part of europe. (learn to know them first). otherwise, you'll come across as a douche.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:27 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronan123 View Post
don't talk to complete strangers. not very popular in any part of europe. (learn to know them first). otherwise, you'll come across as a douche.
I have talked with many Europeans throughout my travels, and I never encountered this. Of course I am polite, well dressed and friendly. I have had 80 year old Parisian ladies converse with me on the subway.

I have had grandfathers give me a special sangria that is better than what the bartender gave me.

I find people all over Europe to be open to dialogue.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:30 AM

Location: Segovia, central Spain, 1230 m asl, Csb Mediterranean with strong continental influence, 40º43 N
3,094 posts, read 3,578,743 times
Quote:
I would also add don't be weird by smiling way too much to complete strangers, as American often do.
We Europeans tend to smile to friends or relatives, in a true way.

Old 04-19-2014, 10:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,515,860 times
Quote:
How do you people make friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive1979 View Post
I would also add don't be weird by smiling way too much to complete strangers, as American often do.
We Europeans tend to smile to friends or relatives, in a true way.
A smile bothers people? lmfao
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe