Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 04:11 PM

36 posts, read 74,631 times

Advertisements

Im thinking about going to Newcastle for an exchange program and I would like to know a little bit about the weather there. Im from Brazil and Ive never seen snow, so I think this "trip" would be a great opportunity to get to know it. So, how often does it snow in the city? Does it snow every winter (at least once) or sometimes you spend the whole year without any snow?
Ialso would like to know if all northern England has the same weather like Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. Sorry about my english, as I said before, english is not my first language so I could have made some mistakes. Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM

And also, is there any place next to Newcastle where I can find snow? Like a mountain or somethink like that?

Old 05-21-2013, 04:44 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,672,852 times
You most likely will see some snow for a few days in Newcastle, but as it's near the coast and because it's a city don't expect a winter wonderland - most of the time it will be a few degrees above freezing. Be warned too that it will be gloomy and damp most of the winter, and in midwinter will be dark from about 3.30pm until 8.30am. If you go west of Newcastle though, or north up to Scotland there are hills and small mountains that have reliable snow for much of the winter.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:53 PM

But does it snow every winter there? At least, something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5tnLjkKNiM
What I want to know is if this much of snow is common, if it happens every winter or there are some years that you have no snow even in the winter.

You said there isnt much snow in Newcastle because its next to the sea, so what about Manchester, Liverpool and Leeds?

And another question, how safe is these cities? Is it ok to walk around town at night?

Old 05-21-2013, 06:08 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,909,368 times
Yes it snows there all the time. The snow doesnt last long. It sometimes will last several weeks if its really cold. If you want to see loads of snow goto the hills.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,135,151 times
It's not far to the Pennines which get regular snow.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:40 AM

927 posts, read 589,246 times
The entire UK panics at the first inch!

Old 07-21-2014, 02:18 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,169,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Devlin2 View Post
Im thinking about going to Newcastle for an exchange program and I would like to know a little bit about the weather there. Im from Brazil and Ive never seen snow, so I think this "trip" would be a great opportunity to get to know it. So, how often does it snow in the city? Does it snow every winter (at least once) or sometimes you spend the whole year without any snow?
Ialso would like to know if all northern England has the same weather like Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool. Sorry about my english, as I said before, english is not my first language so I could have made some mistakes. Thank you in advance
Newcastle often gets snow in the winter, has Northumberland National Park, the Lake District and Yorkshire Dales not far away, whilst Scotland is also not far. I should imagine you will get to see some snow.

As for the city, it has a lot of beautiful listed Georgian Buildings and the University has a very good reputation, whilst in terms of transport the Metro System is one of the best public transport systems outside of London.

I hope you have a great time.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:00 AM

577 posts, read 671,289 times
Newcastle doesn't get much snow. There's a decent snowfall maybe once every two years, but nothing major.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,958,658 times
I'm not sure if Newcastle gets snow every single winter, but the winters of 2009-10 and 2010-11 were quite snowy in the UK nationally. But it isn't something that happens very often. I think Scotland would be a better place to see some snow, if you are limited to only going to the UK.

Are there any other places you have considered to go to? Or is it just Newcastle?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe