Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 01:33 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times

Advertisements

What are the best 10 Euro cities to visit?
It will be in the late spring if that matters. Oh, and don't include London please because that's where I'll be based. I will have a Eurail pass so alot of Eastern European countries will be out of reach-I still might be able to make it to Prague though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 02:18 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
More than 10 :

Paris
Prague
Budapest
Florence
Rome
Venice
Grenada
Vienna
Munich
Dubrovnik
Tallinn ( too far for you probably though)
Dublin
Edinburgh
Oxford
Bath
Bruges
Amsterdam ( I hated it but most people love it)

Old 12-13-2007, 02:41 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,914,467 times
Yeah, alot of great places it looks. The only European cities I've spent any lengths of time in are Sofia and Plovdiv, Bulgaria.

So why didnt you like Amsterdam?

Old 12-13-2007, 02:45 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
More than 10 :

Paris
Prague
Budapest
Florence
Rome
Venice
Grenada
Vienna
Munich
Dubrovnik
Tallinn ( too far for you probably though)
Dublin
Edinburgh
Oxford
Bath
Bruges
Amsterdam ( I hated it but most people love it)
Yes, and yet there is so much more -
Madrid
Lisbon
Barcelona
Seville
Copenhagen
Oslo
Stockholm
Brussels (though the main square is the architectural interest)
Monaco/ Monte Carlo
Zurich (or maybe Lake Como)

The list is endless.
Probably country wise, if you want to Eurorail continuously and don't want to head to Eastern Europe, you should try to reach at least France, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, Italy Denmark and Germany. Prague would be cool to reach for.
It's a lot, but would give you a great window on how varied it really is. And of course a lot depends on your preferences - food, architecture, culture, weather etc. and how you travel.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,769 times
Edinburgh isn't the greatest in the spring. Festival time is when to be there - 3 weeks in August. Of course, even then the weather isn't guaranteed and hotels are ridiculously expensive.
Wonderful experience though.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:10 PM

9,354 posts, read 14,299,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
What are the best 10 Euro cities to visit?
It will be in the late spring if that matters. Oh, and don't include London please because that's where I'll be based. I will have a Eurail pass so alot of Eastern European countries will be out of reach-I still might be able to make it to Prague though.
Easy.

1. Madrid
2. Paris
3. Rome
4. Florence
5. Venice
6. Trieste
7. Vienna
8. Prague/Bratislava
9. Budapest
10. Constantinople

If you can't make it to Constantinople, then maybe Berlin or possibly Cracow, if you can reach it.

Along with London, Madrid, Paris and Rome are imperial capitals, also, to a lesser extent, Berlin. I suppose I should add Moscow, but obviously that's too far east. Constantinople also obviously belongs to this group.

Florence and Venice, while also at one time imperial capitals in their own right, are, in terms of art and architecture, in classes by themselves, especially Venice (and especially Florence, but especially Venice too).

Trieste, Vienna, Prague/Bratislava, Budapest and Cracow belong to one group, known as Mittleeurope, the main cities of the Hapsburg Empire, all worth visiting with that in mind.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:13 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Easy.

1. Madrid
2. Paris
3. Rome
4. Florence
5. Venice
6. Trieste
7. Vienna
8. Prague/Bratislava
9. Budapest
10. Constantinople

If you can't make it to Constantinople, then maybe Berlin or possibly Cracow, if you can reach it.

Along with London, Madrid, Paris and Rome are imperial capitals, also, to a lesser extent, Berlin. I suppose I should add Moscow, but obviously that's too far east. Constantinople also obviously belongs to this group.

Florence and Venice, while also at one time imperial capitals in their own right, are, in terms of art and architecture, in classes by themselves, especially Venice (and especially Florence, but especially Venice too).

Trieste, Vienna, Prague/Bratislava, Budapest and Cracow belong to one group, known as Mittleeurope, the main cities of the Hapsburg Empire, all worth visiting with that in mind.

Bratislava and krakow are indeed wonderful. I love Naples ( beware of pick-pockets though) it has a seedy yet rather faded grandeur about it and some fabulous churches. Istanbul is amazing but I feel you need a reasonable amount of time there to absorb all its history, architecture, smells, sights and colours.

Old 12-13-2007, 03:14 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Easy.

1. Madrid
2. Paris
3. Rome
4. Florence
5. Venice
6. Trieste
7. Vienna
8. Prague/Bratislava
9. Budapest
10. Constantinople

Constatinople!!! I wouldn't toss that word around in Istanbul!!

Old 12-13-2007, 05:19 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
If you are in Italy jump off at Siena and spend some time walking around Il Campo and see the Duomo. It just might be the most beautiful one in Italy. Plus, Siena is supposed to be the best-preserved medieval city in Italy, architecturally speaking.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,146,402 times
If nobody has already suggested Edinburgh, go there. It'd probably be faster (and cheaper) to fly there than to take the train, but it's a lovely city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe