Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:16 AM

4 posts, read 19,410 times

Advertisements

For this topic there wont be any work/career stuff.

Just wanted to know your general feel about living in these cities, focusing on:

a)friendliness of people
b)quality of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 AM

9,384 posts, read 14,338,778 times
In my experience, friendliness is an individual human characteristic, it has nothing to do with groups such as country, language, ethnicity, gender, big city, small town, etc.

In any case friendliness can be superficial: the most outwardly friendly people can turn icy in an instant and stab you in the back cold-blooded. It happens across countries, languages, ethnicities, genders, in big cities and in small towns.

As for quality of life, you have to define what you are looking for. Both are big national capital cities, but London is quite arguably the world's leading global city.

If you have a special interest in Spain and Spanish culture, then Madrid. Otherwise probably London where you could pursue almost anything under the sun (and fog).

Good Luck!

Old 04-29-2014, 09:18 AM

Kind of agree with the friendliness thing, it's impossible to generalize so many people.

As far as quality of life I am sure I can find threads about weather, things to do etc. How about this, which place is more happening for a 30 year old to relocate, meet new people, have fun etc.

Also, is it fair to say that people in Madrid are more relaxed in both work and personal life?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:40 PM

1,646 posts, read 3,491,946 times
It depends on your preferences, for example friendliness, for me Madrid better because I am more used to it, smiles are more sincere, less thank you and please maybe, but more kindness... difficult to say.

Quality of life, depends totally on your salary and the neighbourhood you live, both are among the bigges capital cities in Europe, but London is bigger which makes worse the transport and traffic I guess, but more cosmopolita... and the weather is Madrid better by far, but in my opinion it helps in the quality of life.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,801 times
Madrid is very friendly. If you ask someone something, normally you get an enormous drawn out explanation. People seem to really live to go out and hang out with their friends and family.

London residents probably have a greater purchasing power, and is probably more 'cool' to live in because of its history and significance, but if I had the right job I would choose Madrid.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,825,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
In my experience, friendliness is an individual human characteristic, it has nothing to do with groups such as country, language, ethnicity, gender, big city, small town, etc.

In any case friendliness can be superficial: the most outwardly friendly people can turn icy in an instant and stab you in the back cold-blooded. It happens across countries, languages, ethnicities, genders, in big cities and in small towns.

As for quality of life, you have to define what you are looking for. Both are big national capital cities, but London is quite arguably the world's leading global city.

If you have a special interest in Spain and Spanish culture, then Madrid. Otherwise probably London where you could pursue almost anything under the sun (and fog).

Good Luck!
Where does this foggy London myth come from?

Old 04-29-2014, 02:15 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,617,582 times
The often repeated phrase nueve meses de invierno y tres de infierno (nine months of winter and three of hell) is used to describe Madrid. The high inland plateau where the city is located indeed ensures scorching summers and bitterly cold winters. But the absence of humidity, the piercing blue skies for much of winter, and the hot, dry summer days may be preferable over London.

Of course, it is 10 hours to Paris from Madrid. One nice thing about London is you can spend the afternoon in Paris and not have to purchase a hotel room.

Last October a blogger caused a mini-stir by calculating that he could live in Barcelona and commute via air for cheaper than it costs to live in London.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

"Last October a blogger caused a mini-stir by calculating that he could live in Barcelona and commute via air for cheaper than it costs to live in London".

LOL

Old 04-29-2014, 05:45 PM

I have been doing some research and it seems that maybe this thread is pointless as it is almost impossible to get a job in Madrid under the current circumstances...

Old 04-29-2014, 06:02 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,542,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
The often repeated phrase nueve meses de invierno y tres de infierno (nine months of winter and three of hell) is used to describe Madrid. The high inland plateau where the city is located indeed ensures scorching summers and bitterly cold winters. But the absence of humidity, the piercing blue skies for much of winter, and the hot, dry summer days may be preferable over London.
That's strange. I think Madrid has nice springs. I was there in January and the temperature never really fell below 5 degrees during the day and mid-evenings. Often it was around 10C. Looking at the forecast right now, it basically has the summer weather I get here for the entire week with highs of 22-26 and lows in the low teens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe