Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2014, 10:12 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuncheKim View Post
Does not include SUV's which accounts for 40% of US cars.
SUV's accounted for 5% of car sales in 2013, so I highly doubt that number is true.
Sales of them now are only 25% of what they were during the peak ,late 90's early 00s boom

Old 06-14-2014, 10:36 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,808,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Are there not as many reasons to celebrate in most of Europe?
There are, but the special holidays are much bigger in America (like many other things). Considering that the US has no legal paid holidays, everyone uses the national holidays to the full potential. Europeans with 5 weeks paid holidays don't feel the need to go nuts on every possible occation. Plus, most European special holidays are Christian ones, so how do you celebrate things like the Ascension or Epiphany?

cmptrwlt mentioned their Constitution day. Well, Finland's Independence day is on December 6, during the darkest time of the year, the average high in Helsinki is 2C, and it often rains or snows vertically with heavy winds. Not the best time to have a bbq and hit the beach.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,410,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If 2-3 lanes in each direction is enough, why do you need 5 lanes? It doesn't enhance my 'highway experience' im any way if there's an extra lane, assuming the congestion would be the same. What actually matters to me is the condition of the road (lighting, potholes and so on), and the motorways are in very good shape in Europe. And the scenery of course, which is terrible at least in Finland, as all the motorways are built on the most boring and dull landscape there is. For example drive from Helsinki towards Lahti and you see only trees, railroad tracks and fields for a 100 miles. Which is another reason why small country roads are more interesting. You can actually see lakes, villages and something interesting.

I don't see what's the problem with these. Looks in good

I highlighted that LA picture. Oh man, I almost puked. That is my personal view of hell. Miles and miles of soulless suburbia, one big noisy motorway and those houses don't look much like mcmansions. More like shacks.
The looks of those hideous European cars are just hard to watch

Old 06-14-2014, 11:05 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,251,217 times
Quote:
There are, but the special holidays are much bigger in America (like many other things). Considering that the US has no legal paid holidays, everyone uses the national holidays to the full potential. Europeans with 5 weeks paid holidays don't feel the need to go nuts on every possible occation. Plus, most European special holidays are Christian ones, so how do you celebrate things like the Ascension or Epiphany?

cmptrwlt mentioned their Constitution day. Well, Finland's Independence day is on December 6, during the darkest time of the year, the average high in Helsinki is 2C, and it often rains or snows vertically with heavy winds. Not the best time to have a bbq and hit the beach.
No.

But it's nice to lite a candle on December 6th, with the knowledge that the SUV is parked next to the lawn mover in the heated garage. But the banks are not handing out cash anymore like they used to. I know a few who are still trying to pay off the loans from the late 80's.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
The American lifestyle in considered unhealthy by European standards.
What do Europeans take to be the "American lifestyle"? I wasn't aware there was just one. I hadn't noticed Europeans, especially those in rural areas or small towns, living any differently than Americans, anyway.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 06-14-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM

545 posts, read 866,574 times
SUV are passenger cars in the US. I don't know about pick-up trucks, they may be trucks when they only have two seats.
Anyway, I pointed that if you account trucks, bus, bikes, etc.. The US is in the top. I just wanted to point that the difference between the US and Europe in car ownership isn't so different.

European cars are just smaller.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:52 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Of course it is a motorway when it's classified as such. I don't think all the American freeways close to cities have the 60 mph limit near downtowns either. And isn't it still 100 km/h from like Matinkylä to Kivenlahti? Dunno, I hardly drive anywhere anymore.
All freeways (called expressways, that's more of a western US term) in NYC have a 50 mph speed limit max, a couple are 45 mph, in the suburbs 55 mph is the norm.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:54 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I know a bunch of people from Norway and Sweden and Germany and Denmark (mostly engineers) who moved here because they much prefer the lifestyle they can have here.
They say that it's too hard to build wealth and have nice things there.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:01 PM

24,548 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
All freeways (called expressways, that's more of a western US term) in NYC have a 50 mph speed limit max, a couple are 45 mph, in the suburbs 55 mph is the norm.
Come to Texas - up to 85 mph.

Old 06-14-2014, 01:02 PM
SE9

219 posts, read 348,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
You shouldn't compare London to a run-down place like Atlanta. The only thing close to London in the US is NYC.
I said disregarding the disparity in amenities.

And ATL isn't run-down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe