Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2014, 02:41 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'd never heard of most of those places until I joined C-D. I've lived without them happily. Most people I know don't consider them "real" restaurants. Granted, they're better than fast food. But that's not saying much. These aren't something I'd include on a "quality of life" list. They're not even allowed to do business in Berkeley, CA, where I"m from. The City of Berkeley has strong policies in place to support independent, locally-owned restaurants and businesses.
You're not missing much. I've been to a few of those on the list, and Chipolte's is probably the only one of the lot that I would go back to. I went to it in Portland, Oregon. We have one now in Vancouver, but I've yet to go.
The rest don't exist in Vancouver, don't know about the rest of Canada.
The ones I've tried in the US were very bland. Huge portions, processed food and generally a poor experience.

Old 06-13-2014, 03:41 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,730,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac15 View Post
Except in France (unlike UK) they are French themed.
Chains like Tablapizza, Bistro Romain or Del Arte are French themed?

Old 06-13-2014, 04:11 PM

513 posts, read 799,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuncheKim View Post
Because I would not have imagined living without Olive Gardens, Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle, Grand Lux Cafe, Friday's, Applebee's and many other casual restaurant chains.

Restaurant chains is awesome food in America, known for free refills on soda, and a place where you know the food for sure.
this was sarcasm right? Seriously, the best thing in America is chain restaurants with free soda refills? That's what's wrong with America. 99% of mom and pop places have better food and treat employees better than big chains. If you can't imagine life without a TgiFridays, that is sad. Huge portions of bland food and a company that treats its workers like they are replaceable (because to them they are).

Old 06-13-2014, 08:57 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuncheKim View Post
Because I would not have imagined living without Olive Gardens, Cheesecake Factory, Chipotle, Grand Lux Cafe, Friday's, Applebee's and many other casual restaurant chains.

Restaurant chains is awesome food in America, known for free refills on soda, and a place where you know the food for sure.
Chains are the worse food in the US, many people avoid them, and it seems more and more do each year given the financial situation some of the chains are facing. It is crazy to think people actually enjoy paying for pre-made food that get microwaved, and call it "good food".

Old 06-13-2014, 09:04 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,249,539 times
Buffet is traditional american family dinner.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:08 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwindsforever View Post
Buffet is traditional american family dinner.
It is? I can' t remember the last time I went to a buffet. Most of them are gross

Old 06-13-2014, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
It is? I can' t remember the last time I went to a buffet. Most of them are gross
I've heard many Americans describe them as gross. But here in Helsinki i see many American tourists (with the most advanced digital camera equipment) at the 10 Euro eat all you can eat RAX chain in downtown.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 06-13-2014 at 09:37 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I've heard many Americans describe them as gross. But here in Helsinki i see many American tourists (with the most advanced digital camera equipment) at the 10 Euro eat all you can eat RAX chain at the Forum shopping centre.
Is Helsinki as expensive as Norway? That may be why,lol. I think its because we think your buffets are much better than ours. We have this image of scandanavian smorgasbords. I would try one in Helsinki myself. I didn't try one in Oslo, but I probably would have. You would have a tough time finding one I would go in the the USA.

It's also not neccessarily the food that's gross at buffets, it's the behavior of patrons. Wiping your nose and then grabing the tongs, taking food off with your hands. Working in the industry I have even seen people cough or sneeze over the food. I guess I just asume there would be less of that at a buffet in Scandanavia

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 06-13-2014 at 09:42 PM..

Old 06-13-2014, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
Is Helsinki as expensive as Norway? That may be why,lol. I think its because we think your buffets are much better than ours. We have this image of scandanavian smorgasbords. I would try one in Helsinki myself. I didn't try one in Oslo, but I probably would have. You would have a tough time finding one I would go in the the USA.
I would say Helsinki is expensive. But what you get is usually quality and good service. But if tourists are willing to look around a little it's possible to find somewhat decent buffets mostly run by immigrants of Indian, Pakistani and Asian origin. Smorgasbords? I guess you can find a couple with Danish themed red and white colors here and there.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:56 PM

Quote:
I would say Helsinki is expensive. But what you get is usually quality and good service. But if tourists are willing to look around a little it's possible to find somewhat decent buffets mostly run by immigrants of Indian, Pakistani and Asian origin. Smorgasbords? I guess you can find a couple with Danish themed red and white colors here and there.
We're American. Exposure to all things Scandanavian is thin. MOst of us probably think any scandanavian style buffet is a Smorgasbord( I realize it has different names in different places).
Buffets here are also usually all you can eat, which is good for people on a tight budget. If your in Scandanavia and the budget is a bit tight, you might go for a buffet. It allows you to afford that $15 beer in Oslo.
Your inexpensive food is generally much better then ours.

I just googled RAX. I could see eating there for lunch so that I could splurge on dinner. I also see that it's pizza. It probably reminds people of home.
I'm going to Copenhagen in September. I'll let you know if I try a buffet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe