Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 11:47 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,720,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
We seem to be using life in American Suburbia to represent American lifestyle.
Life in American surburbia does represent American lifestyle.

What percentage of American population is NOT completely tied to their personal automobile without which they practically can't go anywhere or do anything? Probably 10% or less.

The question is actually simple: how many Americans actually walk or take transit to buy groceries? I just bought my milk, cereal and fruits on foot last night (7 minutes walk).

Last edited by botticelli; 06-18-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 06-18-2014, 11:48 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,696,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
I have less disposable income here in the U.S. than I do in Europe. Here, I'm handcuffed to a vehicle, which has a lot of expenses, and is not an option. Here, getting anywhere requires a vehicle, as all things are far away from residences (except NY of course, which I like). Here, paying for various insurances (health, etc.) is not an option. Copays every time you do anything health-related. Gym dues because here, there's nowhere to walk since driving is not an option. Etc. At the end of the month, I had good money to put away in Europe, which I used for my month vacation.
Very few of the things you mentioned are not inherently a part of living in America.

-NYC is not the only place you can live without a car.
-Your disposable income has nothing to do with geography. If anything, you may have less disposable income in European countries due to higher taxes.
-Co-pays suck. But if you're paying lower taxes, then it may be a wash.

It is nice that in many European countries your healthcare isn't tied to your job. But that's just one factor in the analysis for me.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:51 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
You're right. Life in the U.S. IS one mass suburbia. Isolation, handcuffed to the car, etc. No point in disguising the truth. It is what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Lie in American surburbia does represent American lifestyle.

What percentage of American population is NOT completely tied to their personal automobile without which they practically can't go anywhere or do anything? Probably 10% or less.

The question is actually simple: how many Americans actually walk or take transit to buy groceries? I just bought my milk, cereal and fruits on foot last night (7 minutes walk).

Old 06-18-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
You're right. Life in the U.S. IS one mass suburbia. Isolation, handcuffed to the car, etc. No point in disguising the truth. It is what it is.
Don't live in suburbia. Problem solved.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:56 AM

102,202 posts, read 107,842,460 times
Quote:
I have less disposable income here in the U.S. than I do in Europe. Here, I'm handcuffed to a vehicle, which has a lot of expenses, and is not an option. Here, getting anywhere requires a vehicle, as all things are far away from residences (except NY of course, which I like). Here, paying for various insurances (health, etc.) is not an option. Copays every time you do anything health-related. Gym dues because here, there's nowhere to walk since driving is not an option. Etc. At the end of the month, I had good money to put away in Europe, which I used for my month vacation.
This was a point a raised near the beginning of the thread. What appears to be greater disposable income in the US, is not at all disposable. People begin saving for their kids' college education as soon as the kids are born. They pay for health insurance, and there are co-pays on most health expenses, very expensive co-pays for expensive procedures, blood tests, scans, not to mention surgery. Car ownership is a tremendous economic burden, though to be fair, Europeans living in rural areas are in the same situation as most Americans. After all of that is paid for, many Americans don't have much disposable income at all. In some parts of the US, people have to work 2 jobs in order to have disposable income for travel and other extras.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Don't live in suburbia. Problem solved.
Then you end up in central areas in NYC, or Boston, or San Franciso, where a family of four need to settle for a two bedroom apartment of less than 1000sf.

Most Americans don't like compact homes. Most families of 4 think 2000sf is "too small", an entitlement shocking to others outside North America.

Additional, it is often not an option to live in car independent cities even if you want to in America. My friend just bought a house in suburban Chicago that's 20km away from downtown. She prefers a central area but said that there is no decent schools downtown.

That's American life. Urban life is just for the poor, students and the childless hippies.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Are you kidding? I lived in NYC. I walked there about as much as I walk when I live in Europe. Then I moved to Florida. OMG. I can barely even talk about it. And I've seen many other states. Same thing.

Compare that to when I lived in a "suburb" town outside of Madrid, Spain, where everyone walks and there are people walking everywhere because stores and businesses are everywhere, not concentrated in "mall" style areas.

On weekdays, I walked to the fast train which took me into Madrid. 30 minutes and I read the paper or talked to people I knew who also did the train into Madrid. In Madrid I took the metro (underground) connection to my workplace (5 minutes). I arrived and voila! Worked, then at 10:30 a.m. all of us (employees) crossed the street to have "breakfast" (croissant and café) and laugh. (And we did laugh). Worked till 2, then went out to one of many restaurants available for lunch where I got the plato del dia (a daily special which includes appetizer, salad, and entrée, dessert, and 1 glass of wine. Very inexpensive. Back to work, then home. Took the metro, the train, then went upstairs and left my purse, then met my husband downstairs at the pub on our block (they're called "bar") to join our friends (men and women often with their kids), to have a glass of wine or other drink. After a while, we went upstairs, I'd make a tiny dinner - omelette or fry some sardines (which are about 6 inches), then talk over the day. Then off to bed. On weekends, we'd sometimes go to my hubby's "chalet" (it's actually a tiny farm house, so don't be impressed. Or we'd be invited over to family or friends' to have dinner or lunch. Or we'd go into Madrid to watch theater. Or we'd go to a local movie theater. Or we'd go to a local event. Or we'd invite people over for dinner or coffee, and to play cards or whatever. On vacation, we'd travel to other countries, or go to the beach - for an entire month.

Want to hear about my life here in Suburbia, U.S.A.?

Quote:
Very few of the things you mentioned are not inherently a part of living in America.

-NYC is not the only place you can live without a car.
-Your disposable income has nothing to do with geography. If anything, you may have less disposable income in European countries due to higher taxes.
-Co-pays suck. But if you're paying lower taxes, then it may be a wash.

It is nice that in many European countries your healthcare isn't tied to your job. But that's just one factor in the analysis for me.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Then you end up in central areas in NYC, or Boston, or San Franciso, where a family of four need to settle for a two bedroom apartment of less than 1000sf.
Or a walkable area in Denver, Richmond, Baltimore, Savannah, New Orleans, St. Louis, Atlanta or Pittsburgh. The European counterparts of NYC, Boston and SF are as expensive (some even more expensive).

Quote:
Most Americans don't like compact homes. Most families of 4 think 2000sf is "too small", an entitlement shocking to others outside North America.
Okay. But what does that have to do with your preference. If you want to live in a bungalow home, you can do that.

Quote:
That's American life. Urban life is just for the poor, students and the childless hippies.
That's largely true in Europe too.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding? I lived in NYC. I walked there about as much as I walk when I live in Europe. Then I moved to Florida. OMG. I can barely even talk about it. And I've seen many other states. Same thing.

Compare that to when I lived in a "suburb" town outside of Madrid, Spain, where everyone walks and there are people walking everywhere because stores and businesses are everywhere, not concentrated in "mall" style areas.

On weekdays, I walked to the fast train which took me into Madrid. 30 minutes and I read the paper or talked to people I knew who also did the train into Madrid. In Madrid I took the metro (underground) connection to my workplace (5 minutes). I arrived and voila! Worked, then at 10:30 a.m. all of us (employees) crossed the street to have "breakfast" (croissant and café) and laugh. (And we did laugh). Worked till 2, then went out to one of many restaurants available for lunch where I got the plato del dia (a daily special which includes appetizer, salad, and entrée, dessert, and 1 glass of wine. Very inexpensive. Back to work, then home. Took the metro, the train, then went upstairs and left my purse, then met my husband downstairs at the pub on our block (they're called "bar") to join our friends (men and women often with their kids), to have a glass of wine or other drink. After a while, we went upstairs, I'd make a tiny dinner - omelette or fry some sardines (which are about 6 inches), then talk over the day. Then off to bed. On weekends, we'd sometimes go to my hubby's "chalet" (it's actually a tiny farm house, so don't be impressed. Or we'd be invited over to family or friends' to have dinner or lunch. Or we'd go into Madrid to watch theater. Or we'd go to a local movie theater. Or we'd go to a local event. Or we'd invite people over for dinner or coffee, and to play cards or whatever. On vacation, we'd travel to other countries, or go to the beach - for an entire month.

Want to hear about my life here in Suburbia, U.S.A.?
Compare that to when I lived in the suburbs of Paris. My host family had not one but -gasp - two cars. We went to the Carrefour in a car. The parents drove a car to work. Nearly everyone in the neighborhood drove. And we lived in a leeeeetle house that did not have the comforts and amenities of 21st Century American construction.

We're getting way off topic here. You are clearly a Europhile who loves the European way of life, which is fine. But the thread is about Europeans who envy the American lifestyle. You may not see any reason to envy that lifestyle, but I know plenty of French and Brits who have sacrificed a lot (including taking a teaching job in Kansas) to be here.

So yeah, there are things about America that are worth envying.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Or a walkable area in Denver, Richmond, Baltimore, Savannah, New Orleans, St. Louis, Atlanta or Pittsburgh. The European counterparts of NYC, Boston and SF are as expensive (some even more expensive).
You've got to be kidding.

Baltimore, New Orleans, St Louis and Atlanta, you mean all those murder capitals? You want people raise their family there?

Pittsburgh and Denver are nice, I give you that. But given the geopgraphic size of the US, it has very limited options when it comes to walkable urban life.

In Europe, not every walkable city is as expensive as Paris or London. Berlin is pretty affordable. So a a bunch of median sized cities. In the US, you will be hard pressed to find 5 where living central city is considered attractive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe