Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ameriscot View Post
Too funny to think of America as exotic. Although some people in Scotland think I'm exotic and they love my strong American accent. LOL. It's midwest. Boring.
Lot of Brits say I'm from a very exotic place (Puerto Rico), but I think it's pretty boring and don't think coconut palm trees are particularly beautiful and exotic to look at (they're just trees to me, they're everywhere). So, BajanYankee does have a point.

http://www.puertoricosothebysrealty....2Fcom_5742.jpg

Grew up 10 minutes from this place. To me it's passé.

To me, this is exotic: http://www.japanorbit.com/fileadmin/...d-footpath.png

Old 06-18-2014, 01:51 PM

84 posts, read 87,587 times
I know almost anyone can buy a flat or a town house in USA. It might be using a credit.
Purchase a flat in the country where I live is a very difficult business.
Accordingly I envy the life in America.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:56 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
How's he a wannabe gangster? All he did was...

Drive a car
Drink a beer
Eat a sandwich
Stare off into the distance from his balcony
That's what passes as a gangster in suburban Paris.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:07 PM

598 posts, read 955,987 times
Wow this thread has a lot of pages!, some people must have very fragile ego's.....

Old 06-18-2014, 02:19 PM

1,260 posts, read 1,688,566 times
Quote:
My friends and family are not only impressed with cities like San Francisco and New York. I mean, you've got mad Nigerians and Bajans moving to places like Houston (and loving it). Miami is also tremendously popular.

No matter what country people are moving to, they will generally be attracted to its cities. Most Americans probably have no desire to visit--little less live in--a whole host of small to medium sized cities all over England.
I'd live in Bristol on near Brighton. I'd also live in N Wales ,specifically the Prestatyn area. I have lots of friend in the UK though, so I tend to visit places ourside of London. I love Wales and really like seeing second tier cities in the UK.

To the poster who as about knowing the differnce between England and Great Britain
England , Wales , Scotland = the countries on the island of GB
England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland = UK

The English are British but not all British are English. My Welsh friends would hurt me if I called them English

Unfortunately a lot of people don't know this, including Bank Of America. An ATM at The Millenium Center in Cardiff ate my credit card. When I called BoA, they said they turned it off because I had notified them I was going to the UK but trying to make a transaction in Wales. Apparently, they didn't realize Wales in the UK.

Last edited by JennyMominRI; 06-18-2014 at 03:15 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 02:25 PM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Well, if you're American, then it would be funny to think that way. It's also funny to think of France as this exotic, magical place (if you're French, that is).

Life on either continent is good for the Top 2%. Those are the people who can afford luxury flats in Central London, Paris, New York and Miami. Life is pretty mundane for everyone else. Work, school, taxes, suburban neighborhoods with few "exciting" things to do (i.e., bars, clubs, street performers, "vibrancy") home maintenance, raising children, etc.

Many parts of the UK are also very provincial. The internationalism and cosmpolitanism of London doesn't apply to the UK across the board.
Living in London does not appeal to me. I love my pretty, quiet and charming corner of Scotland. And the ease of traveling to France, Belgium and annual trips to London.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,733,220 times
While English speaking Canadians might sound like Americans, the differences do stop there.

Canadians are sooo not American!

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingwiththewind View Post
OMG, you cannot imagine what you have just done to Canadians on this forum!

Ich lache mich tot!

As for you not envying "American lifestyle", I don't blame you. Why should you? You live in Munich.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:57 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Just curious. Are you referring to the country of England, or the island of Great Britain? Most Americans don't know the difference.
Which is incredibly annoying!!

Old 06-18-2014, 02:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
So then are we just comparing American suburbia to European suburbia?
Idk, I guess we are comparing your average Joe middle class citizens from each region.
Most middle class average Americans live in suburbia.
I believe most middle class average Europeans live in more urban environments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Life in American surburbia does represent American lifestyle.

What percentage of American population is NOT completely tied to their personal automobile without which they practically can't go anywhere or do anything? Probably 10% or less.

The question is actually simple: how many Americans actually walk or take transit to buy groceries? I just bought my milk, cereal and fruits on foot last night (7 minutes walk).
I know and I'm not one of those urbanites with a superiority complex so I don't automatically view that as a negative thing.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:59 PM

20,633 posts, read 23,877,481 times
Quote:
Too funny to think of America as exotic. Although some people in Scotland think I'm exotic and they love my strong American accent. LOL. It's midwest. Boring.
Its fun but its not exotic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe