Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM

32,087 posts, read 34,686,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Yes, you can be part of a dynamic America - if you're a white meat-eating heterosexual male born to a middle- or upper class family. Otherwise you're doomed to the trailer park or East Baltimore for life.
Um, the United States has the wealthiest Black population in the world....

Old 06-18-2014, 05:37 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,797,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
The US also elected a non-white president,
But you do get my point, though?

Old 06-18-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
But you do get my point, though?
No. What did that have to do with career opportunities?

Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
While your example sounds extreme, I'm not much of a big spender so relatively low salaries don't bother me much. Past a certain point, I don't see more money having a large impact on QOL. Things like shorter working hours plus longer vacation time (it's not necessarily laziness, it's also a plus to have more time to socialize with friends and family, and like to have time to travel places) plus better benefits seem like it could be a good trade-off from higher salaries.
It would bother you if you lived in a high cost city like Paris. It will also bother you when you have a family and want to earn more, but can't.

And the best jobs generally go to the students graduating from one of the Grandes Écoles. Only something like 1% of the population even gains entry to these schools. Most of the colleges there are really more akin to our community colleges here. It's much more of an elitist, winner-takes-all type of system over there.

And no, it's not similar to the Ivy League in America. The Ivies don't dominate nearly the way the Grandes Écoles do.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 06-18-2014 at 06:16 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 06:21 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
Years ago I met a student from the Philippines who was living in Chicago. He was going to college to earn a masters degree in Engineering. He worked part time, rode a bicycle and saved his money. He fretted every day, fearful he would not get a job. He was hired by Motorola before he graduated. He received a signing bonus, 5 weeks vacation, and an entry level salary of $80000. He graduated with honors that year. He bought a used car and flew his parents to Chicago for the winter holidays. This was the one of happiest, nicest persons I ever met. He was first child of six who earned two college degrees. He fully intended to work toward a doctorate. I expect he did.

Education is the doorway out of poverty. Not everyone is destined to be president. But everyone who has the mental ability can receive a good education if they are willing to work for it.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:26 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,436,035 times
It is important to note that youth unemployment is very high in Europe. So, most of this talk about higher QoL in Europe is moot.

Italy's Youth Unemployment at 42% as Jobless Rate Hits 37-Year High

Spain youth unemployment reaches record 56.1%

Old 06-18-2014, 06:38 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
It is important to note that youth unemployment is very high in Europe. So, most of this talk about higher QoL in Europe is moot.

Italy's Youth Unemployment at 42% as Jobless Rate Hits 37-Year High

Spain youth unemployment reaches record 56.1%
Who really knows though, most of them are probably living with mom and dad not having to worry about work or pay bills, thats a pretty good quality of life no matter how "lazy" society makes you out to be.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Who really knows though, most of them are probably living with mom and dad not having to worry about work or pay bills, thats a pretty good quality of life no matter how "lazy" society makes you out to be.
I hope you are joking .... lol
US media doesnt cover it much ... but things in Europe are not all rosy ..

Spanish youth demonstrations turn violent as police fire rubber bullets at protesters in Barcelona

Why aren't Europe's young people rioting any more?
Denied their dreams of education and jobs, young people have been sapped of rebellious energy. But their anger is growing

Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,490,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman249 View Post
I hope you are joking .... lol
US media doesnt cover it much ... but things in Europe are not all rosy ..
Not really, you picked like the two worst countries... i'm sure German, Dutch and Swedish are doing fine.
Not British though, all their students skip school like every single day to go get wasted.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Not really, you picked like the two worst countries... i'm sure German, Dutch and Swedish are doing fine.
Not British though, all their students skip school like every single day to go get wasted.
I picked the two worst countries? Are you kidding me? What about Greece? Portugal?

I know about Spain and Italy only because I was there last year ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe