Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2014, 03:27 AM

93 posts, read 99,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
It depends on if you are living on the Country or in a City. On the Country in village almost everyone has a house. In Cities most People live in Apartments. But in American Cities many People live in Apartments too. Almost all houses are of Stone. People here despise wooden houses as barracks or cabins.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:44 AM

93 posts, read 99,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I would love to live in Europe and it is a goal one day. Retirement maybe. I've spent 44 years living all over the USA and I would love a chance to live somewhere else. It has nothing to do with how I feel about the USA and is all about my wanderlust

It's a shame the UK has no retirement visa as mostof my friends live there. That would be my first choice.
I guess if you would prove your retirement is high enough to care for your life you would get a residence Permit for Germany.

Old 06-19-2014, 03:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holzhaus123 View Post
Canadians you all are welcome to attack me. I can handle it.

On behalf of my fellow Canadians, I'll offer you a "meh", accompanied by a shrug of my shoulders.

Old 06-19-2014, 04:26 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,545,355 times
Quote:
It depends on if you are living on the Country or in a City. On the Country in village almost everyone has a house. In Cities most People live in Apartments. But in American Cities many People live in Apartments too. Almost all houses are of Stone. People here despise wooden houses as barracks or cabins.
I have a detached house and live on a coastal road. Our house is stone and we have a 1/2 acre garden. No complaints here.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
They just survive because we finance them all with out Euro rescue umbrella. Germany is the economical Motor of the EU (Euroland) and is able to care for them all.
They've suffered large cuts in the government in the middle of a depression. Eh, Germany isn't exactly helping. Southern Europe is running a large export deficit while Germany runs a surplus. Southern Europe is stuck with an overvalued currency (for them)

Old 06-19-2014, 06:02 AM

888 posts, read 1,591,434 times
I don't really envy the healthcare system, not that ours is in any way anything to brag about, but atleast on paper it's a fine system.

From a consumers standpoint, absolutely. Finnish products and services are taxed to the max, my wallet dislikes since it's impossible to order everything from abroad, and the cost of shipping sometimes doesn't make it worthwhile. Not always very beneficial to the economy either. People on small incomes suffer since groceries are relatively expensive, and if they need a car to get around, oh boy... Part of the problem is the small and spread out population, not very much competition.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:25 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Spain.
I'm surprised you were able to find any type of employment in Spain, particularly if you were a non-EU resident. With 25% unemployment nationwide, I doubt they are too keen on Americans coming over and snagging the few public sector jobs that do exist.

Of course, I'm talking about being an actual teacher in the EU. Not somebody who's there to teach ESL courses.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:37 AM

4,709 posts, read 5,062,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
I don't really envy the healthcare system, not that ours is in any way anything to brag about, but atleast on paper it's a fine system.
"Britain’s healthcare has been lauded as the best out of 11 of the world’s wealthiest countries, following a far-reaching study by a US-based foundation."
"NHS means British healthcare rated top out of 11 western countries, with USA coming last".
The USA's health is nothing to admire at all."

NHS means British healthcare rated top out of 11 western countries, with US coming last - UK - News - The Independent
Quote:
From a consumers standpoint, absolutely. Finnish products and services are taxed to the max, my wallet dislikes since it's impossible to order everything from abroad, and the cost of shipping sometimes doesn't make it worthwhile. Not always very beneficial to the economy either. People on small incomes suffer since groceries are relatively expensive, and if they need a car to get around, oh boy... Part of the problem is the small and spread out population, not very much competition.
I think food in the UK is quite cheap. If you are poor you can survive well. You will not be eating the best of the best, but OK indeed. If you are time rich and cash poor and prepare all your meals, then buying cheap fresh vegetables, etc, means you eat very well and cheaply - and healthily.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:34 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic_Vega View Post
Study: Prices in Finland nearly a quarter higher than EU average

"Prices from 37 European countries were analysed in the study, including data from a few countries that are not European Union members. Nevertheless, all differences in prices levels were reported in relation to the EU average benchmark.

Finland did post a few areas in which prices were cheaper: in addition to telecommunications services, the price of electricity, gas and other fuels remained below the EU average.

In Finland, alcoholic beverages and tobacco products were 35 percent more expensive than the EU average, while hotel and restaurant services were 28 percent higher and transport services were 34 percent higher.
On the other hand, the price of furniture, household appliances and consumer electronics in Finland was quite near the EU average last year, only slightly higher.

The study determined that the most expensive countries in Europe were Switzerland and Norway, followed by Denmark and Sweden, with Finland coming in fifth. The lowest prices in Europe were found in the countries of Albania, Bulgaria and Macedonia."

Sources
Yle
http://yle.fi/uutiset/study_prices_i...verage/7311528

Sad but true. Ok, 5th most expensive, but also the 6th highest average net wage in Europe. Only Norway, Switzerland, UK, Denmark and Luxembourg have higher wages.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 AM

1,863 posts, read 5,149,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
While English speaking Canadians might sound like Americans, the differences do stop there.

Canadians are sooo not American!
It depends on who you ask.

I think, Europeans don't see much difference, which is a nightmare for most Canadians who are obsessed with trying to differentiate themselves from Americans and bragging about how much Canada is better than the US.

Therefore, I was very much amused by what the other poster said.

Last edited by movingwiththewind; 06-19-2014 at 10:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe