Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 03:23 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The US has always been that way. Before SUV's, there was a brief period of smaller cars. But back in the middle of the 20th Century, it was all station wagons, Cadillacs, enormous cars. I don't understand it, myself. People say, 'Oh, I have kids, I need an SUV or a minivan." But Europeans have kids, too, and don't require hulking cars to move their families around. Americans are pawns of the corporations. Many don't realize the extent to which they're brainwashed.
The US birthrate is higher than the EU birth rate and has been for some time. Also, many American families have pets - sometimes large and/or multiple pets.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es%2C_2010.png

The only EU country with a higher fertility rate than the US is France. The others are far down the list.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2127rank.html

Also, the US is car-centric - we move our selves and our families from place to place via our vehicles and spend a lot of time in those vehicles, due to the wide expanses of land, neighborhoods, etc. Throw in more children - that's even more time, taking them from place to place. So comfort and room for gear for a variety of interests, for multiple people, becomes a bigger factor for Americans than for many other nationalities.

It's not that mysterious or ominous.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
The US birthrate is higher than the EU birth rate and has been for some time. Also, many American families have pets - sometimes large and/or multiple pets.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...es%2C_2010.png

The only EU country with a higher fertility rate than the US is France. The others are far down the list.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2127rank.html

Also, the US is car-centric - we move our selves and our families from place to place via our vehicles and spend a lot of time in those vehicles, due to the wide expanses of land, neighborhoods, etc. Throw in more children - that's even more time, taking them from place to place. So comfort and room for gear for a variety of interests, for multiple people, becomes a bigger factor for Americans than for many other nationalities.

It's not that mysterious or ominous.
Yeah, I"m just curious as to how Europeans manage. Do they take their kids to the doctor on public transit? What about going on vacation--is there room in those little Euro wagons for kids AND gear? Good point about pets, btw.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:54 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,727,553 times
But you don't see more huge cas on French roads compared to neighboring countries despite the higher birth rate (quite the contrary). And many families have multiple pets and have a car-centric lifestyle too. If they really need lots of seats, they'll buy something like a VW Touran and put the additional luggage in a trailer or on top of the car. Guess the main difference with the US is the gas prices.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I"m just curious as to how Europeans manage. Do they take their kids to the doctor on public transit? What about going on vacation--is there room in those little Euro wagons for kids AND gear? Good point about pets, btw.
I have no idea, but I do know that the last time we were in Europe, we rented a Volvo SUV - same model available in the US - and we had plenty of room, with four adults and all our luggage. NO PETS, THOUGH - LOL.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
But you don't see more huge cas on French roads compared to neighboring countries despite the higher birth rate (quite the contrary). And many families have multiple pets and have a car-centric lifestyle too. If they really need lots of seats, they'll buy something like a VW Touran and put the additional luggage in a trailer or on top of the car. Guess the main difference with the US is the gas prices.

That's a good point too - though when we were driving our rented Volvo SUV around Europe, we noticed plenty of other SUVs on the road - and surely they weren't all US tourists!

Gas prices being so much lower in the US does also play a big role in our ability and desire to own and drive larger, more comfortable vehicles. Also, generally speaking, we have more spacious roads, even in small towns. We just don't have many of the tiny roads that are sometimes one lane that are so common throughout Europe.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I have no idea, but I do know that the last time we were in Europe, we rented a Volvo SUV - same model available in the US - and we had plenty of room, with four adults and all our luggage. NO PETS, THOUGH - LOL.
What impressed me most about Paris (ages ago) was the tiny 1-person cars they had. I wonder if families have 2 cars; one for commuting on minimal gas, and one for weekend drives to the country with the kids.

Old 08-11-2014, 04:45 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Cars used in Central Paris are not necessary the cars used by famillies. (Paris is not the norm in France).
Usually a lot of familly have two cars, a small one and a larger one (minivan, crossover, sedan).

Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,306,909 times
Quote:
But Europeans have kids, too, and don't require hulking cars to move their families around. Americans are pawns of the corporations. Many don't realize the extent to which they're brainwashed.
I don't know if you are aware of this but there is a huge safety concern in driving small cars versus large cars. Just to illustrate my point:

I used to drive a Ford Explorer, mid-sized SUV and I got into a crash a few months ago, I basically rammed into the back of a Chevrolet Cavalier which is a small sedan but much bigger than most economy European cars.

I suffered no injuries, my airbag did not even deploy. Their car was completely destroyed, the girl who was sitting in the backseat had to go to the hospital, thank God, she only had minor injuries. I drove home after the crash, they didnt!

After this experience, I will NEVER drive any type of small car or sedan- only SUV's or Full Size pick up trucks from here on.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
I don't know if you are aware of this but there is a huge safety concern in driving small cars versus large cars. Just to illustrate my point:

I used to drive a Ford Explorer, mid-sized SUV and I got into a crash a few months ago, I basically rammed into the back of a Chevrolet Cavalier which is a small sedan but much bigger than most economy European cars.

I suffered no injuries, my airbag did not even deploy. Their car was completely destroyed, the girl who was sitting in the backseat had to go to the hospital, thank God, she only had minor injuries. I drove home after the crash, they didnt!

After this experience, I will NEVER drive any type of small car or sedan- only SUV's or Full Size pick up trucks from here on.
If there weren't so many SUV's around, the sedan drivers wouldn't have anything to worry about. The trick is to get ones that have scored high on crash tests. I have a Honda, and after a crash, the bumper wasn't even phased, not even scratched! Behind the bumper is a heavy steel bar that absorbed the impact. Best bumper I've ever had. Most are just foam on the inside. If people are really worried about safety, they can get a Volvo sedan or wagon, if they can afford it.

Old 08-11-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato ku View Post
Cars used in Central Paris are not necessary the cars used by famillies. (Paris is not the norm in France).
Usually a lot of familly have two cars, a small one and a larger one (minivan, crossover, sedan).
Well, obviously those miniature commute cars aren't family cars, that's why I asked. And you confirmed my conclusion. But if Euro families do have minivans or crossover SUV's, why do Europeans complain about Americans owning minivans or SUV's?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe