Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2014, 03:52 PM

484 posts, read 822,813 times

Advertisements

I'm a native Californian and am fairly down on the U.S. lifestyle and people, which I find to be shallow, materialistic, and violent.

I've been toying with the idea of moving to Germany primarily because my family is from there (two generations back) and I speak a fair amount of German.

I was curious if anyone on here had moved from the U.S. to Germany, or Europe generally, and what their experience has been like?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2014, 03:04 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,126,940 times
Well as a San Diegan who has been living in Germany for 14 years I would not really say better or worse. It depends on the individual. I miss things about San Diego but I don´t want to go back. Spend some time here and make up your own mind.

Old 06-24-2014, 10:38 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
If you live in California in a big city, then moving to Germany, to a big City,
you may not find any differences.
Moving to a small city in Germany you will find a slower paced life,
but you can do the same thing in the USA !

We have lived and worked in Germany and Switzerland for quite a long time.
In both countries, living in small towns (more cows than people), but working in the big city.
Now retired back in the USA.
Would we like to go back to Germany - no !
Would we like to go back to Switzerland - absolutely NOT !!

Better or worse is a very personal opinion !

BTW, we did live in California before we worked in Europe !
I still have siblings in California, but detest visiting them because of where they live !
Now we live in a slower paced State !
If we see more than 5 cars a day thru our street, we have a traffic jam ...

Old 06-24-2014, 12:15 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,469,598 times
It's "Kalifornien", by the way.

Old 06-24-2014, 12:36 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
I'm a native Californian and am fairly down on the U.S. lifestyle and people, which I find to be shallow, materialistic, and violent.
What part of California do you live in? I've never found northern California to be that way. But if you do go to Germany, go somewhere in the south. People are friendlier, and the scenery is spectacular.

Old 06-24-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What part of California do you live in? I've never found northern California to be that way. But if you do go to Germany, go somewhere in the south. People are friendlier, and the scenery is spectacular.
Currently Northern California (SF), but I spent the first half of my life in OC.

Yep, I agree southern Germany has awesome scenery.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:12 PM

102,226 posts, read 108,023,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal_eagle View Post
Currently Northern California (SF), but I spent the first half of my life in OC.

Yep, I agree southern Germany has awesome scenery.
Branch out to Berkeley and Oakland if you feel that SF residents are too superficial. People who were born and raised in the East Bay tend to be mellow, into enjoying nature, etc.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:32 PM

7,082 posts, read 8,954,669 times
I have lived in Granada Hills California, Düsseldorf and Ilvesheim Germany. I loved living in Germany, the big cities are as different as night and day in the US vs. Germany, mainly when it comes to crime and litter, Düsseldorf was the cleanest city I have ever seen and I had been out on the streets late at night and never had to look over my shoulder.

Old 06-24-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Well as a San Diegan who has been living in Germany for 14 years I would not really say better or worse. It depends on the individual. I miss things about San Diego but I don´t want to go back. Spend some time here and make up your own mind.
If I might ask ... do you not want to go back to San Diego because you prefer life in Germany, or perhaps you have commitments that keep you in Germany? What do you prefer about Germany?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It's "Kalifornien", by the way.
Uhmmm ... If you come form Austria (Styer area) it is Khahleevorneeyah ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe