Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 03:37 AM

418 posts, read 559,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
What are some moments of culture shock you have experienced in Europe?

I have one that I will never forget:

I was shopping at a K Supermarket in Helsinki, it was 10 minutes before they closed and they were already locking everything up. I walked around for another 5 minutes and the cashier reminded me(in a firm but not rude way) that they were closing in 5 minutes. Anyways, it did not bother me at all, since I am sure they all wanted to go home but something like this would hardly ever happen here in the States.

Here in the USA, if a customer walks into a store 20 seconds before closing time. You would never say anything, you pretty much just stand there with a fake smile on your face, ask them if they found everything they were looking for and just kiss their asses until they leave the store lol.

never had anything like that in the USA, even coming in 10 mins before closing they are usually packed up ready to shut if they haven't even already locked the door!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 04:09 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,958 times
Quote:
What are some moments of culture shock you have experienced in Europe?

I have one that I will never forget:

I was shopping at a K Supermarket in Helsinki, it was 10 minutes before they closed and they were already locking everything up. I walked around for another 5 minutes and the cashier reminded me(in a firm but not rude way) that they were closing in 5 minutes. Anyways, it did not bother me at all, since I am sure they all wanted to go home but something like this would hardly ever happen here in the States.

Here in the USA, if a customer walks into a store 20 seconds before closing time. You would never say anything, you pretty much just stand there with a fake smile on your face, ask them if they found everything they were looking for and just kiss their asses until they leave the store lol.

Most supermarkets anywhere in the world don't do that, they let people in until closing time. There's a lot of competition in Europe between supermarkets, big stores, giant supermarkets, etc.

Last edited by Miserere; 07-11-2014 at 04:26 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Waiters and waitresses here in the USA are total ass kissers-super friendly, fake smiles, whatever it takes to please the customer.

One time I went to a restaurant in Kaiserslautern, Germany and the waitress did not smile once. I don't think she was having a bad day either. If you question a waiter or waitress in Germany "I ordered this instead of this", they may say "No, you didnt" in a very direct and honest manner which is odd to the American mindset lol

If a waiter smiles at you, some might think he p....d on your drink or he's making fun.

Old 07-11-2014, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Probably the fact that restaurants don't serve tap water for free like they do in the US and Canada, instead forcing customers to purchase bottled water. Since I can easily drink half a gallon (8 glasses) of water during a meal, this adds up to more than 10 euros in water alone. This is more common in Switzerland, Germany and Austria, not so common in France or Spain.

The "water issue" also exists in airports. Canadian airports have free water fountains in the secure area, so you can bring empty bottles through security and fill them up for the flight. I have seen only a few such fountains in European airports - most people end up purchasing overpriced bottled water from duty-free shops.

Apart from this, nothing really came as a culture shock.

I find that the main issue as compared to the US, in the US you get used to drink a big jar of iced water. Here in Spain you can ask for free water, but they might serve you tap water or tepid water.

And there are no US style cafeterias with refills, or those breakfasts..things tend to be smaller, constrained (if in the city) or devoid of soul if suburban areas or outskirts of cities.

Comfort is another problem here, the US is more comfortable, more space, better furniture, more standardized air conditioning. A "greasy spoon" is more comfortable that a fancy cafeteria here.

Waiters...I don't know about the states, but professional waiters were all fired here, so they don't accumulate benefits.

Last edited by Miserere; 07-11-2014 at 04:25 AM..

Old 07-11-2014, 04:20 AM

418 posts, read 559,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Never saw any of those 'closed during lunch' stores myself either with the rare exception of some owner operated niche stores. Many stores are closed on Sundays here.

in france lots of places close for lunch. In the UK sunday is just a little early for shops, think they are trying to extend it. They always say "no one wants shops open/open longer" then at 5 minutes till closing there are people still trying to get in the shops and they are far from empty.

If the shops were empty they wouldn't open on Sunday.

In Paris they are pushing more shops to open. Tourists won't come back later in the week. The shops loose a whole day's worth of trading income. When the economy sucks, you cant stand to loose money

Old 07-11-2014, 05:03 AM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,814 times
I don't know how it works in other European countries but in smaller towns in Germany, some of your supermarkets will close at 5 pm on a Saturday or the latest I have seen is 8 pm. Usually closed on Sundays.

I live in small town of 20000 people in Central Iowa and most of our gas stations and supermarkets are open 24 hours, including Holidays. There is only one gas station here that closes at 11 pm which is very unusual and reopens at 5 am- Open all holidays also.

Going to the grocery store on Sunday is a huge part of American culture IMO

Old 07-11-2014, 06:24 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Never saw any of those 'closed during lunch' stores myself either with the rare exception of some owner operated niche stores. Many stores are closed on Sundays here.
Wow - I saw the "closed for lunch" signs all over the place every time I've gone to central Europe. Not so much in the UK. In Spain, many businesses close for a couple of hours immediately AFTER lunch.

Quote:
In some countries, shops other than large department stores close for an hour or two at midday, and reopen until 6- 8 p.m..

In Mediterranean countries where the afternoon can be sweltering and dining hours are later, shops often close at noon and reopen much later for evening shopping hours. On Saturdays opening hours are usually (but not always) shorter than during the week; common to most countries is very limited shopping on Sundays, and sometimes none at all, although in some places this is beginning to change. Hours outside of large cities tend to be more restricted.
http://www.visiteurope.com/Plan/Prac.../Opening-hours

In Europe it is also very common for stores throughout town to be closed on Sunday. And even in EU countries that ALLOW stores to be opened on Sunday, many times the hours have to, by law, be severely limited, or the town has to be one dominated by the tourist industry - and then throw in the fact that being ALLOWED to open doesn't necessarily translate into actually OPENING (many store owners choose voluntarily not to open on Sunday, because that's a centuries old tradition), and well, there you have it.

Quote:
The following European Union countries currently allow shops to open every Sunday: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Sweden and the United Kingdom.

The following European Union countries currently allow shops to open every Sunday on tourist declared towns and cities and currently have a very extensive list of them that includes capitals and major cities: Belgium, France, Netherlands and Spain.

However though the UK allows stores to open every Sunday, there are strict rules, particularly in England and Wales, on the amount of time a store can open dependent on the square metres of the store. Any store of more than 280 square metres can only open for 6 hours each Sunday.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:35 AM

313 posts, read 531,721 times
Quote:
Another funny one. In Helsinki, I went to the Old Olympic Stadium where they have a pool and you are only allowed to wear Speedos there. I have never owned a Speedos in my life so I ended up renting some Speedos lol.

Anyways, in the locker room, they had a sauna but there was a sign, no speedos allowed, only nude. I had a blast that day but it was very awkward.
Don't they have mixed gender saunas there? Good enough reason alone to go to Finland, lol jk, I sound like a perve.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:38 AM

313 posts, read 531,721 times
^ Yeah I find it weird how a lot of shops in Europe close on Sunday. How inconvenient and archaic...

Old 07-11-2014, 06:50 AM

2,737 posts, read 3,164,429 times
Quote:
I don't know how it works in other European countries but in smaller towns in Germany, some of your supermarkets will close at 5 pm on a Saturday or the latest I have seen is 8 pm. Usually closed on Sundays.

I live in small town of 20000 people in Central Iowa and most of our gas stations and supermarkets are open 24 hours, including Holidays. There is only one gas station here that closes at 11 pm which is very unusual and reopens at 5 am- Open all holidays also.

Going to the grocery store on Sunday is a huge part of American culture IMO
In terms of where I live in the UK there is a massive 24 hour Tesco Superstore not far away, and even on Sundays when the store is restricted to opening between 10am and 4pm, we have a local smaller Coop Supermarket selling a wide range of goods and indeed alcohol from 8 am to 10pm on a Sunday, whilst most Petrol (Gas) Stations are exempt from opening time restrictions.

In England and Wales small shops under 280 meters (3,013 square feet) can open any day or hour including Sundays. There are also no trading hours restrictions in Scotland.

Size of a small shop

A small shop is one that measures up to and including 280 square metres (3,013 square feet).

This area includes all parts of the shop you use to display goods and serve customers. You can’t get around the restrictions by closing off parts of your shop on certain days.

Rules for large shops in England and Wales over 280 square metres (3,013 square feet):

* can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm

* must close on Easter Sunday

* must close on Christmas Day

* If your Sunday trading hours are restricted, you must clearly display what they are inside and outside your shop.

Exemptions

Large Shops exempt from the Sunday trading restrictions for large shops include:

* airport and railway station outlets

* service station outlets

* registered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliances

* farms selling mainly their own produce

*outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies and accessories

*suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels on arrival at, or departure from, a port, harbour or airport

* exhibition stands selling goods

Trading Hours for Retailers: The Law - UK

Last edited by Bamford; 07-11-2014 at 07:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe