Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM

545 posts, read 867,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddybrown View Post
Nestle, ConAgra Foods, PepsiCo, Unilever, Kraft, DuPont, Monsanto, Dole Food, BRF, CarGil, General Mills and so on are international food corporations and their products are sold all over the world including the European Union. You like sprayed Chiquita bananas made by Colombian impoverished slave-workers? You will find those from Northern Finland to Southern Spain to Asiatic Russia.
Nestle is Swiss and Unilever is English&Dutch. And many of the brands you wrote are unknown in France.. Still I agree with what you meant, nowadays products are hardly restricted to one country only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Ironically, McDonalds makes more money in France than in the US. Of course everything is double the price in Europe though lol.
Yeah, but they don't have much competition. If you want a fast food burger, you only have McDonald and Quick here. Nothing else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 PM

545 posts, read 867,787 times
double post

Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM

595 posts, read 720,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Please tell me where all those Taco Bells in Europe are. I have NEVER seen one. Rumours are there is one at a military base in Germany.
Spain

Old 09-22-2014, 04:34 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,941,733 times
Quote:
In NL, mainstream American products are not hard to come by. In larger Albert Heijn supermarkets there is a small USA-only part. With Cereal, Mountain Dew, Hershey's, Frosting, Grape sodas, Gatorade, Skippy and what not. Don't know about US-only stores but maybe there is one in Amsterdam.
I've never seen those at Albert Heijn and I go there at least once a week. I would say they are very hard to come by. I know Lidl has 'American weeks' sometimes when they sell 'American products' except those are not really from the US but are produced somewhere in Europe instead. The only real American products I have seen so far are walnuts and sweet potatoes.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:42 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,082,744 times
Quote:
Please tell me where all those Taco Bells in Europe are. I have NEVER seen one. Rumours are there is one at a military base in Germany.

In NL, mainstream American products are not hard to come by. In larger Albert Heijn supermarkets there is a small USA-only part. With Cereal, Mountain Dew, Hershey's, Frosting, Grape sodas, Gatorade, Skippy and what not. Don't know about US-only stores but maybe there is one in Amsterdam.

I just checked, there's a Taco Bell in Barcelona in a mall called "La Maquinista".
I also found the shop I saw a few days ago, "A taste of America", a couple of locations in Barcelona.
They sell about everything, maybe they don't have jerkies (I love them), but about everything else.
There are some specialized shops selling American pies, of course, they don't have Key Lime Pies....only Lemon meringe..
American franchises, just BK and McD and very few Pizza Huts (there were many more) and Dominos, KFC in areas with a lot of tourists like Sagrada Familia.....also Dunkin Donuts (closed), Bagel shop.
Local franchises lead the pack, but I believe there's a retrenchment of franchises and people are returnng to family owned restaurants.
There are also zillions of restaurants owned by Pakis, Chinese, etc, a lot too many because sometimes there are 10 in one street.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:26 PM

123 posts, read 185,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I've never seen those at Albert Heijn and I go there at least once a week. I would say they are very hard to come by. I know Lidl has 'American weeks' sometimes when they sell 'American products' except those are not really from the US but are produced somewhere in Europe instead. The only real American products I have seen so far are walnuts and sweet potatoes.
Hmmm my Appie has it. And I know of some of them in other cities too. Maybe only in some larger cities and student cities? I will make a picture of the collection.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:34 PM

2,340 posts, read 2,941,733 times
Quote:
Hmmm my Appie has it. And I know of some of them in other cities too. Maybe only in some larger cities and student cities? I will make a picture of the collection.
They have everything on-line. I did find Mountain Dew and Skippy but they do not sell it in my AH. The question is: are those really produced in the US? I guess not as I saw German and French text on the labels of some of those products on the website. I think you hardly find anything really 'made in the USA' here. Those are all just American brands produced locally.

Old 09-24-2014, 07:04 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,172,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck2007 View Post
Hi all,

I was just curious as to are there any stores in your area specializing in American grocerys? Like for example here in America we have shops specializing in italian products, french, indian, etc. Just wondering if there are any shops like that there? And also what are some American products that you cannot find in Europe? Thanks!
they have 'american' or 'british' stores that sell that stuff. i see more british stores probably becuas ethere are more british expats here in the netherlands than americans. you can get lucky charms or kraft mac&cheese and dr pepper for example. though i do see dr pepper in the regular supermarket now too. they also sell candy, like starburst, which otherwise you wouldnt be able to find. prices are higher of course.

i cant think of anything that you cannot find in one of those stores. maybe microwaveable burritos or something like that.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:35 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,841,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeMike91 View Post
Ironically, McDonalds makes more money in France than in the US. Of course everything is double the price in Europe though lol.
I highly doubt this is true.

McDonald's makes more money in Europe as a whole than in the United States (it has considerably more corporate-owned, as opposed to franchised, restaurants in Europe than in the United States) - about $7.8 billion/year in Europe as opposed to $5.3 billion/year in the U.S.

But less than 20% (~1300) of the McDonald's in Europe (almost 7000) are in France. Unless the ~1300 French locations are earning considerably more than all the 5500+ other locations on the continent combined (which would make no sense at all), then it simply cannot be that McDonald's is making more in France than in the U.S. - even with the tax advantages they're exploiting there.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:14 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,437,559 times
Quote:
There are 13 in Spain only. Hardly McDonald's but they're definitely there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe