Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:21 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Turtles can't survive in temperate climates. In Europe, they only live around the Mediterranean. Sometimes a turtle is found in the wild, but they never get old or create offspring in northern Europe, despite the Gulfstream.

In fact, only four kinds of lizards and three species of snakes (viper, grass snake and smooth snake) are able to survive here. Most are threatened too.
This totally can't be true. I live in a city that hits -30 C every winter and I've seen turtles around ponds and rivers many many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erka View Post
Turtles can't survive in temperate climates. In Europe, they only live around the Mediterranean. Sometimes a turtle is found in the wild, but they never get old or create offspring in northern Europe, despite the Gulfstream.

In fact, only four kinds of lizards and three species of snakes (viper, grass snake and smooth snake) are able to survive here. Most are threatened too.
Well, I don't think the turtles that live in Eastern USA and Canada got the memo because almost all of Canada's provinces and every American state has turtles and like I said they hibernate during the winter. Sea turtles even range into the cold waters of the pacific along Canada's west coast and the Leatherback turtle occurs all the way to Alaska. How are you defining temperate? Saying something with conviction doesn't make you right. Do some research.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I hate these things with a burning passion. They have out-competed the native red squirrel, making any sighting a novelty. They are considered pests, and actually it's illegal to release one if it is trapped - instead you should destroy it (I don't think people do this though - I certainly wouldn't).
In California, the Eastern Gray and the Fox Squirrel which was also introduced have out competed our native Western Gray Squirrel which is shy like the European Red Squirrel and it has also retreated to coniferous forest where Eastern Grays won't live.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:50 PM

102,198 posts, read 107,842,460 times
At least debating turtle and chipmunk range is better than fighting about racial categories or who has more blonds. LOL.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:05 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
At least debating turtle and chipmunk range is better than fighting about racial categories or who has more blonds. LOL.
Hahaha. I'm completely surprised this reached page 3.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
^^^Truth!

Old 09-30-2014, 03:07 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,124,066 times
Not Chipmunks but I took this pic at work last week.
Attached Thumbnails
No Chipmunks in Europe?-squirrel.jpg  

Old 09-30-2014, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
Not Chipmunks but I took this pic at work last week.
European Red Squirrels.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:29 AM

1,470 posts, read 2,078,342 times
As Saxony would say "European Red Squirrels are obviously Celtic"...(joking).

There are turtles here, but they are being replaced by the Florida turtles. Aboriginal turtles are protected and are being reinplanted. Any Sunday driver that picks one is fined 5-to 10.000€.

The big problem now are Chinese Vipers, that are exterminating bees, a big industry.

Zebra mussel, a plague.

The apple snail, etc, etc.

Parrots...now there are 30 types of parrots flying around.

The poor Spanish sparrow that colonized America is scarce now, they are protected.

Mexican cactus grow very well here, now they are considered local and their fruit is appreciated.

I remember seeing in Georgia a plant named Kudzu, sort of fast growth ivy....quite strange that the plague has not arrived.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
As Saxony would say "European Red Squirrels are obviously Celtic"...(joking).

There are turtles here, but they are being replaced by the Florida turtles. Aboriginal turtles are protected and are being reinplanted. Any Sunday driver that picks one is fined 5-to 10.000€.

The big problem now are Chinese Vipers, that are exterminating bees, a big industry.

Zebra mussel, a plague.

The apple snail, etc, etc.

Parrots...now there are 30 types of parrots flying around.

The poor Spanish sparrow that colonized America is scarce now, they are protected.

Mexican cactus grow very well here, now they are considered local and their fruit is appreciated.

I remember seeing in Georgia a plant named Kudzu, sort of fast growth ivy....quite strange that the plague has not arrived.
The Spanish Sparrow never colonized America. The House Sparrow was introduced here and although in decline as well, is still one of our most common birds.

Also in Europe, you have to deal with American Bullfrogs just as we in California do and they are having the same impact in both paces. They're not native to either region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe